Can you upgrade a 7 day PH to an AP?

Chicago526

<font color=red>Any dream will do...<br><font colo
BF and I are going for 8 nights in Dec. I'd buy an AP so I can just go again w/in 12 months, but BF has never been to WDW and I don't want to commit to that until he has at least seen the place :)

If we buy a 7 day PH, can we use that to upgrade to an AP once we get there I know he'll want to come back? Or do we just have to buy AP's on top of the 7 day PH if we want to come back later next year? Does this make any sence?

Yes, you can upgrade your PH to APs!

There are a couple of different scenarios for this:

If you are within seven days of the FIRST use of your Park Hopper, you can have the entire purchase price of the PH applied toward an AP. The activation/expiration date of the AP will be the date the PH was first used.

At any other time, you can have any unused PH days applied to an AP upgrade. (If you've used 3 days on a 7 day PH, they'll divide the price you paid by 7 to get the daily value, and credit 4 of those days toward the AP.)

If your PH is a Park Hopper PLUS, you can only upgrade to a Premium AP in the first scenario. (This may only be true if you've used any of the PLUS options...) In the second scenario, you will essentially lose the PLUS options. It just gets a little trickier if you have a Park Hopper Plus. Fortunately, there are lots of ticket experts here who know all the ins and outs of how this works!

You will need to visit the Guest Services window at one of the parks to do the upgrade.

I have upgraded PH pluses to a regular AP. No pluses had been used, which might have made a difference. If you're thinking about it, go by a guest services and ask all the questions few days before you actually do it. We did that and nothing at all was said about us having to do a premium instead of a regular AP. Remember you get full credit if you do it within 7 days of first use.

I upgraded a regular 4-day park hopper that had three unused days on it without any problem. One caveat - they made my anniversary date the day I used the park hopper the first time. So I have a Marcy anniversary date, even though I actually upgraded three days ago. If I had known that before the transaction was complete I might have thought twice about getting my AP then. (Still probably would have done it, but I would have thought a little more before reaching that decision).

But what if the first time we used our 7 day PHP was March 2003? If they made it our anniversary date then it would mean the AP's had already expired (since it's already May 2004).

You can upgrade to a regular AP as long as you haven't used any plus options. If you have used any plus options, you can only upgrade to a Premium AP.

Originally posted by gamomof2
But what if the first time we used our 7 day PHP was March 2003? If they made it our anniversary date then it would mean the AP's had already expired (since it's already May 2004).
The back dating of the AP only comes into play when you are upgrading within the first 7 days of use of the PHP and can apply the entire purchase amount of the PHP towards the price of the AP.

Since you are well past that, you would receive a dollar credit for the unused major park admissions that can be applied towards the price of a new AP. Your AP will run one year from the day you do the transaction. You will lose any unused plus options on the PHP when you do this.

Originally posted by puffkin
You can upgrade to a regular AP as long as you haven't used any plus options. If you have used any plus options, you can only upgrade to a Premium AP.

This only applies when doing the upgrade within the first 7 days of use of your original ticket.

After the 7 day window passes, you can apply the dollar amount of the unused major park admissions towards a regular AP or a PAP even if you used some plus options. You are not restricted to the PAP only upgrade as you are during the first 7 days of use window.

Originally posted by leebee
Just make sure you go to GUEST SERVICES, not a regular ticket window!
Point of information:

It's actually Guest Relations. Most people do not even realize that there is a difference but there is. Guest Relations is at the parks (both inside and out) and at two DTD locations. Any of these can handle the upgrades mentioned above.

Guest Services is in the resorts only and cannot do this transaction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter