Can you share a place you couldnt wait to eat but was a huge letdown

Kona Cafe breakfast. There was so much hype over the breakfast and the Tonga Toast. We felt so incredibly rushed, the service was abysmal, and my Tonga toast was way too sweet. I ended up getting a coffee at a coffee bar in the hotel to savor on our way back to the GF because I needed to take the edge off the experience.

Got the Tonga Toast once... and will never again. I big blob of dry bread and had to search for the banana.

What I'm curious about is that for everyone on this thread that had really bad food: tough steak, overcooked chicken, etc. or obvious service issues, Did you send it back the food or ask for a manager? If not why not?

IMHO, anyone looking for consistently exceptional food at most WDW restaurants has expectations that are too high.

I generally always say something but in a nice way. Some people complain just to get things for free. I tell them just so that they are aware. I never send food back - I don't trust what could happen to it back in the kitchen! :worried:

Ohana - Served us raw chicken and not so happy servers when I politely ask them to remove it from our table. I use to love them.

Yachtsman's Steakhouse!

This eatery gets great reviews. We love steak and eat it quite often. I was so excited to take my DH and kids there for a Father's day meal.

We had a horrible CM, such bad service. The restaurant was not busy as we were eating at 6PM. Our server had 3 tables, seated at different times. He was extremely non-attentive; hard to get water, bread our apps.

3 of our steaks came out cooked wrongly. Medium rare, well done, rare steaks, all cooked burnt on the outside and raw in the middle.

Maybe it was bad luck; bad server and bad chef day. The Boardwalk Concierge did take care of us, refunding the two dinning credits for all 4 of us.

We took those credits and ate at LeCellier, total contrast. It was wonderful!

I guess we got lucky with ‘Ohana. Maybe it was because we had a 5:30 reservation.
1. Food was delicious. Meat was hot, tender, tasty. (Not happy with having to peel the shrimp, but tasted good)
2. Service was on point. Chef Brandon personally prepared and served all courses for our traveling companion with gluten and dairy allergies.
3. Entertainment and games were adorable and completely under control.
4. Waiter didn’t charge for my husband’s Lapu Lapu being served in the pineapple.
5. No wait to be seated. We were not rushed at all. We actually were encouraged to stay longer to enjoy more servings of food that we couldn’t possibly eat. I barely tasted the dessert. Just too much food.

At California Grill, we had a terrible experience with our server three years ago. We were encouraged to try it again this recent trip. We had the best meal and service of our entire trip. The food snd service was sublime.

Sometimes you have lousy luck with a terrible waiter. I think it’s a good idea to try again because you might find that it is better the next time.

As far as 50’s Prime Time, we gave them many chances, but the waiters appear to be afraid to offend anyone and no longer perform the entertaining schtick. It was so fun years ago.

I totally agree, for the most part, to give a restaurant at least 2 chances. We had a blast at 50's years ago... but I agree, some people 'don't get it' and the servers are probably afraid of the backlash. Sad...

Ohana -
Horrible food. Overcooked meat, slimy wings, dry potstickers. Never ever again. How this place is popular is beyond me.

Le Cellier -
My steak was incredibly disappointing. Terrible cut of steak. Atmosphere was fine but the tables were ridiculously close together.

Beaches & Cream -
Food here is nothing special. Burgers and fries were meh. Ditto for the icecream. Taste like any old icecream i can get at the grocery store.
I’m sorry to see Le Cellier on so many lists..... Years ago it used to be such s wonderful place!!!

BOG dinner. This was in 2016 though. Maybe it's changed. Also, Cristal Palace dinner.

How this place became a signature restaurant is beyond me! The last straw was when i ate there before it became a signature. Not good at all. And the "famous" soup....BLAH! Gross. But hey, thats just my opinion. Many people still love LC. :)
trying Lecellier for the 1st time in april

Flying Fish. terrible meal! Old stale seafood, poorly prepared.

Coral reef was also not edible, but at least the atmosphere was fun with the huge aquarium.

I have a dream of a seafood restaurant that serves delicious fresh seafood. I haven't found one in WDW yet.

I think that people are expected to dine in many of these venues in order to enjoy the decor, not the food. For example: BOG seats you in the ballroom from the Beauty and the Beast movie so why would you expect decent food? Be dazzled by the chandeliers! Remember it is the furniture that is doing the cooking!

Last edited:
Flying Fish. terrible meal! Old stale seafood, poorly prepared.

Coral reef was also not edible, but at least the atmosphere was fun with the huge aquarium.

I have a dream of a seafood restaurant that serves delicious fresh seafood. I haven't found one in WDW yet.

I think that people are expected to dine in many of these venues in order to enjoy the decor, not the food. For example: BOG seats you in the ballroom from the Beauty and the Beast movie so why would you expect decent food? Be dazzled by the chandeliers! Remember it is the furniture that is doing the cooking!
You make a great point about the decor I don't think too many people realize. Also that's weird but I heard so many things about flying fish that it is fastly overrated that I don't think I would ever want to eat there. I know each place has an opinion but at the same time that's one place I just have no desire to eat at.

That's at the top of my list for my next trip. :) Would love to try it. I keep hearing so many good things about it.
The filet mignon is the best I've had anywhere. The service was really good and so was the waiter and I can't say enough about the place. They also put me in the bar area which was nice and sells a solo and looking forward to eating there again. It's a must for me for every trip from here on out.

The filet mignon is the best I've had anywhere. The service was really good and so was the waiter and I can't say enough about the place. They also put me in the bar area which was nice and sells a solo and looking forward to eating there again. It's a must for me for every trip from here on out.
Good to know, cause sometimes my trips are solo. Glad to hear you had a good experience as a soloist. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter