Can you share a place you couldnt wait to eat but was a huge letdown

This thread is about sharing a bad experience, not refuting everyone's claims and saying yours was great. Clearly, your experience was NOT that of the previous posters.
Oops! Sorry for the faux pas.

I only read complaints about CRT dinner. I have no doubts that their dinner experience didn't live up to the cost of the meal. However, since we've had several stellar experiences at CRT for breakfast...Caramel apple stuffed French Toast...I thought it would be nice to share that information.

Oh well...

I only read complaints about CRT dinner. I have no doubts that their dinner experience didn't live up to the cost of the meal. However, since we've had several stellar experiences at CRT for breakfast...Caramel apple stuffed French Toast...I thought it would be nice to share that information.

Oh well...
Thanks. I’m glad to hear people who had positive experiences. I know the thread was about underwhelming experiences, but I thought is was helpful hearing that breakfast was better.

Fun thread since I’m in a cranky mood! Thinking back to our trips, we’ve had a fair number of meals that were disappointing in the moment (usually related to quality for cost) but are mostly just forgotten. My short list of letdowns are those that I’m still carrying a few years later.

San Angel Inn.
We tried DxDP several years ago and it was a disaster for me. So, so much food all the time. We were always eating or in transit to restaurants and I was pretty miserable. For our dinner at San Angel, I told our (very kind) server that I just wanted an appetizer and would be skipping my entree and dessert. He told me i would have to pay OOP for the appetizer because I could only use a credit if I had all three courses. Manager backed him up on this and insisted that I had no choice but to order an entree and a dessert that I knew I wouldn’t touch. So I ordered all three courses and ate about two bites of the appetizer, a horrendously over cooked shrimp dish that I could barely chew. Tried about one bite each of the entree (way too salty) and dessert. The rest of the family was as overstuffed as me so the rest of my food went back to the kitchen. The server then became concerned about how I wasn’t eating and (unasked) brought me a smoothie, another entree that he said was his favorite, and samples of every dessert on the menu, and then became very upset when I didn’t eat that either. I can’t really fault the effort but they totally missed the point that I didn’t want a three course meal - just a light appetizer. And the food was awful.

50s Prime Time Cafe
We’ve tried three times and every server we’ve had has just been a complete dud. Love the fried chicken but my goal in eating there is for my DH to get in trouble and we’ve never had a server whose made even the slightest attempt to play along.

And the biggest letdown of all.... I still can’t believe I’m about to type this.

Victoria and Alberts.

I’m an adventurous eater with a great love of tasting menus. I looked forward to this dinner for months. And it was just fine. Our server was excruciatingly correct but cold and really seemed mostly uninterested in taking about the meal or the courses. We were halfway through dinner before our pre-dinner cocktails were served. Everything was expertly prepared but it just felt safe. I wanted a mind blowing culinary experience and I felt like I got a very expensive, very traditional meal in a hotel restaurant. I did love the tea service so much that I’ve been looking for a similar one ever since. And I love the dress I bought for that dinner more than I love my wedding dress.

It can be more then one place. It also be can a cs or ts. I am looking forward to hearing some of the answers.

For me hands it was San Angel Inn. I love Mexican food. Let me start off saying that. In all my trips I had never eaten in any of the Mexican restaurant's at Disney. So I was excited to say the least. The food well was probe the worst or the nastiest food I ever ate in my life. It was dry, nasty and I couldn't even finish my meal. On top of that, the server was a creep. He rushed me threw out the whole meal. I'll never ate there again. Honorable mention goes to Flame tree BBQ. Nasty dry chicken and freakin birds all around me.
Wow! We feel exactly the same way! About both restaurants!

That was hands down the most disgusting Lunch we had ever had in WDW! And we were there by special invitation with a special "fast pass" to eat there, when it first opened! My then DS6 called it "the bog." He said afterwards, "Mama, let's not ever eat at the bog again!"
Totally agree. Very overrated and I had the turkey sandwich for lunch and it was brutal.

Oh well...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you giving a positive experience. Most of us welcome all opinions, even if this is technically a complaint thread. No worries!

:sunny:

Garden Grill for me. With the Living with the Land boat ride and all the vegetables growing right downstairs, I was really looking forward to a meal with lots of emphasis on fresh veggies. Sadly it wasn't that way at all.

It is expensive, but everything in Disney World is expensive. We plan accordingly.

The Caramel Apple Stuffed French Toast (Decadent French Toast stuffed with sweet cream cheese, baked with caramel apples, drizzled with Calvados caramel sauce). OMG. My mouth is watering just thinking about how delicious it is.

As far as photos, ours came out great.

What is the point of this response? Do you really need to respond to everyone who says they didn't like CRT dismissing their experience? Good for you that you enjoyed it.

For me it was definitely Boma. Couldn't wait and it was a huge disappointment. We basically left hungry and we aren't overly picky. We couldn't figure out why it's so popular.

It's funny how experiences vary. We've never gotten a bad meal at 50's Prime Time, but they have definitely toned down the interaction. I think that's probably because some of them got too carried away with it. I once had to flat out tell a server that his tip was going to be a lot smaller than he expected if he didn't stop nagging me to eat the honey-covered baby carrots that came with my meal. This after twice explaining that I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes, so I wasn't going to eat that much sugar.

As it stands, right now I only have two restaurants on my "won't go there again unless there are major changes" list.

Biergarten - Heresy, I know. I really did like the dancing and singing, and the servers were wonderful. My husband and younger daughter loved it. My older daughter and I did not like the food. Pan after pan of greasy, unidentifiable meat, nothing labeled in a non-German way, so there were a lot of mystery foods on my plate. I had to keep making trips back to find something I found edible, though my husband was delighted to eat my cast-offs. It took quite a bit of experimentation to get what I felt was a full meal.

Sci-Fi Dine In Theater - Love the theme. Adore it. But the food was way overpriced for the amount we got. Worst of all, the last two times we went the screen was out of focus. It gave me a splitting headache, and one of my daughters threw up after the meals. Yes, meals, she threw up both times. We want so badly to love this restaurant, but we've only had a truly good experience there once, and that time we only ordered desserts and not meals.

It's funny how experiences vary. We've never gotten a bad meal at 50's Prime Time, but they have definitely toned down the interaction. I think that's probably because some of them got too carried away with it. I once had to flat out tell a server that his tip was going to be a lot smaller than he expected if he didn't stop nagging me to eat the honey-covered baby carrots that came with my meal. This after twice explaining that I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes, so I wasn't going to eat that much sugar.

As it stands, right now I only have two restaurants on my "won't go there again unless there are major changes" list.

Biergarten - Heresy, I know. I really did like the dancing and singing, and the servers were wonderful. My husband and younger daughter loved it. My older daughter and I did not like the food. Pan after pan of greasy, unidentifiable meat, nothing labeled in a non-German way, so there were a lot of mystery foods on my plate. I had to keep making trips back to find something I found edible, though my husband was delighted to eat my cast-offs. It took quite a bit of experimentation to get what I felt was a full meal.

Sci-Fi Dine In Theater - Love the theme. Adore it. But the food was way overpriced for the amount we got. Worst of all, the last two times we went the screen was out of focus. It gave me a splitting headache, and one of my daughters threw up after the meals. Yes, meals, she threw up both times. We want so badly to love this restaurant, but we've only had a truly good experience there once, and that time we only ordered desserts and not meals.

it is funny how experiences vary. Every restaurant can have a bad night food or service wise (sometimes both) and I try really hard to not let that color my perception. But if Biergarten made it a "thing" to serve pan after pan of greasy meat then they would not be popular. My extremely picky kid ate very well here, and would love to go back - weiner schnitzel (breaded and fried flat pounded pork cutlets, not greasy at all), roast chicken, hard salami, pretzel rolls, mac and cheese and desserts were all identifiable to him and he loved it all (he is not picky about mac and cheese and loves the baked kind as much as the kraft kind). That said, the people we shared a table with - the parents and kids loved the meal but the grandparents did NOT. They had a similar complaint, nothing recognizable (they were very very southern with heavy accents so I imagine what they were seeing is very different than what they were used to). I suggested they try the roast chicken and the schnitzel but by then they had had enough and were not looking to try anything else. Same table, same food, two different experiences.

Our worst is Narcoossees. We had a horrendous nearly $300 meal there. Terrible inattentive server (I could not even get a second glass of wine), my son's steak came out purple and cold in the middle (ordered medium) and sauced even though ordered plain - thrown back on the grill where sauce charred black and only edges were edible, still cool and red in the center (I would not mind but too rare for him). I had lobster tails and by the time I finished dealing with his meal and checking mine out, I discovered mine were undercooked and still translucent but by then the server was nowhere to be seen - a food runner brought back my son's steak and didn't wait for me to cut into it to see how it was and no one ever followed up. The best part was I could not use the bathroom there, they had the women's room out of order and they were holding women off to the side to use it when a break came in the men's room. After 10 minutes of standing there leaving my 8 year old son alone at the table I gave up on using the bathroom.

Now I'm guessing if Narcoosees made it a point to serve badly cooked food and had a culture of inattentive servers they would not get any good reviews. But an experience like that just leaves a bad taste in your mouth and I have no desire to give it another shot in the forseeable future. Too many other choices out there!

I feel your pain. My daughter loves it. My husband loves it. My inlaws love it. I tolerate it because I love them. I love the concept, I love the film, but the food? Um. No. Overpriced for the amount and not the best. We have to go next trip though because the kid requested it and it is her graduation trip. Sigh. I have been able to tell her I wasn't able to get a reservation the last couple trips.

it is funny how experiences vary. Every restaurant can have a bad night food or service wise (sometimes both) and I try really hard to not let that color my perception. But if Biergarten made it a "thing" to serve pan after pan of greasy meat then they would not be popular. My extremely picky kid ate very well here, and would love to go back - weiner schnitzel (breaded and fried flat pounded pork cutlets, not greasy at all), roast chicken, hard salami, pretzel rolls, mac and cheese and desserts were all identifiable to him and he loved it all (he is not picky about mac and cheese and loves the baked kind as much as the kraft kind).

Maybe we just hit a bad night, because it seemed like nearly everything was some type of sausage or cured meat. Most of it reminded me of the fried bologna I ate as a kid. I don't remember seeing any chicken, though I do think they may have had the pork cutlets, because that sounds like one of the things that I did like. I think I was mostly disappointed because I am very much a meat and potatoes eater and expected to enjoy it more than I did.

For us it has been Chef Mickey the food, the service was such a disappointment for us. I wouldn't eat Chef Mickey's again if you paid me to. I understand it could have been 1 off day but we have been 3 times each time the same dried out food and server's that are way too overwhelmed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter