Can you go to Blue Bayou for dessert only? Or only appetizers?

Is BB not worth it? I'm hearing negative food reviews.
It will be personal opinion. As far as eating inside DL park, I think it is the best. I've enjoyed my food and service and have been seated next to the water without asking. I have only had good experiences there. If you like something on the menu and/or you love the atmosphere, it will likely be worth it to you.

However, if I didn't like the food or had a bad table or bad service, I would feel resentful for paying the high prices. I also wouldn't eat there if I had a large family or if I had picky eaters with me.

Is BB not worth it? I'm hearing negative food reviews.

Those two sentences are related. The food rarely justifies its premium pricing (premium even relative to theme park prices). We fall into the "been there, done that" camp on it, but I always recommend BB for people to experience if they've never been. The pricing vs. quality generally burns out AP's and locals and they start to stay away; other places at DLR, like Steakhouse 55, Carthey Circle, etc. don't have the same burn out rate.

Last edited:
My girls are well over age nine, but thanks. Is BB not worth it? I'm hearing negative food reviews.

Worth it is subjective - was it for me - nope - was it for many, definitely. It all depends. A restaurant is going to have people love it and hate it and land in between - you won't know until you try.

Like everyone has said, worth is subjective. Personally, I don't care for the food. And for atmosphere, I'd rather ride POTC, than sit and pay for a high priced, not so great meal. I vote with my wallet, and would prefer something like Steakhouse 55 instead. If I want a Monte Cristo, I head to Cafe Orleans, same quality, and cheaper. Blue Bayou just isn't for me.

We had lunch at BB last Friday. We were very underwhelmed.
Unfortunately our table was at the back towards the kitchen entrance and 90% of the ambiance is lost.
I guesstimate about 50 tables in the room. And only about 25 of them are situated where you would get a great PotC vibe
The service was mediocre and the food was lukewarm and mass produced. The pricing is very out of line with what you get. Even with the experience of being inside PotC

I ordered the Monte Cristo. My 13 yo son ordered the prawn starter. Then my husband ordered the gumbo and prawn starter. The server turned to me and told me that my husband could not do that, that he only “allowed” my son to do that since I had ordered an entree. I said “ why don’t you tell my husband that since he’s the one ordering”. So my husband asked if he could, since my other son (15yo ) was ordering the chicken entree. The servers begrudging said yes he supposed so. It was all very odd if you ask me. The starters were about $13 - so not exactly cheap. The whole thing was quite awkward and uncomfortable. We tried to be kind and get back into his good graces by being charming. The boys really like the bread. Everything else arrived lukewarm

After the lame table placement, and off on the bad foot with the surly server we ended up having a good time together at the lunch but determined we never really needed to do it again.

We really enjoyed the atmosphere across at the Cafe Orleans on a previous visit and the menu choices are similar but with added variety and a better price point.

I would really say that in all honesty the Blue Bayou experience is quite overblown

We had lunch at BB last Friday. We were very underwhelmed.
Unfortunately our table was at the back towards the kitchen entrance and 90% of the ambiance is lost.
I guesstimate about 50 tables in the room. And only about 25 of them are situated where you would get a great PotC vibe
The service was mediocre and the food was lukewarm and mass produced. The pricing is very out of line with what you get. Even with the experience of being inside PotC

I ordered the Monte Cristo. My 13 yo son ordered the prawn starter. Then my husband ordered the gumbo and prawn starter. The server turned to me and told me that my husband could not do that, that he only “allowed” my son to do that since I had ordered an entree. I said “ why don’t you tell my husband that since he’s the one ordering”. So my husband asked if he could, since my other son (15yo ) was ordering the chicken entree. The servers begrudging said yes he supposed so. It was all very odd if you ask me. The starters were about $13 - so not exactly cheap. The whole thing was quite awkward and uncomfortable. We tried to be kind and get back into his good graces by being charming. The boys really like the bread. Everything else arrived lukewarm

After the lame table placement, and off on the bad foot with the surly server we ended up having a good time together at the lunch but determined we never really needed to do it again.

We really enjoyed the atmosphere across at the Cafe Orleans on a previous visit and the menu choices are similar but with added variety and a better price point.

I would really say that in all honesty the Blue Bayou experience is quite overblown
That’s ridiculous. I hope you wrote to Disney about your experience with that server. Totally uncool. I’d have left the minimum tip with that. At the same time, we always order entrees. Can you imagine if you had just been getting dessert?! Lol

We fall into the "benn there, done that" camp on it, but I always recommend BB for people to experience if they've never been.

I agree.

It's definitely worth the experience if you are wanting to dine at an iconic location or you want to do the Fantasmic! package. We have been once and did the Fantasmic! package as a splurge because it was Thanksgiving day. My husband loved his special Thanksgiving dinner, my son go the jambalaya and though it was good but spicy (he was only 10 at the time, but loved seafood) and couldn't finish. I got the mushroom & rice vegetarian option which was also good but very salty. The salad, iced tea(it's hard to find good ice tea in the parks, unless you are at a table service restaurant), bread, and deserts were amazing.

I'm glad we did it once and we did have awesome Fantasmic! viewing. In all our previous Disneyland visits we never watched Fantasmic! because we didn't want to commit to hours of waiting to get a good spot.

Blue Bayou USED to be great. The problem is that it got too popular for its own good. In order to capitalize on that popularity (or "meet demand", as Disney might put it), they crammed a bunch more tables into places where there SHOULDN'T BE TABLES. The last two times I ate there I got seated right next to the kitchen, and then right next to the bathrooms and water filling station. That alone is enough to completely diminish the value of the experience. Really anywhere that's not in the middle of the room or waterside is a complete waste of time and money, because you're not getting any of the atmosphere that BB is "famous" for. Add that to diminishing food quality and I'm pretty much done with BB. I suppose I might try again sometime and request any table that's NOT on the outer edge, but I'm always too hungry to sit around and wait extra time for special seating, haha.

ETA: Also since this is supposed to be a thread about dessert, I know that a LOT of people used to go to BB just for dessert because they had this really tasty signature dessert called the "Cookie Boat" that was like big soft chocolate chip cookie with ice cream and chocolate and caramel sauce that was fashioned to look like a pirate ship. This no longer exists however and I guess they just went to serving desserts that are more generic. Perhaps they wanted to discourage people from ordering just dessert? I don't know. Or maybe they just got cheap, LOL.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!