Can you go to Blue Bayou for dessert only? Or only appetizers?

Katems

Mouseketeer
Can people go to Blue Bayou for only appetizers or only dessert?? Also, if you're only doing that can you ever get a walk up reservation? And can you sit waterside if you're willing to wait? My girls really want this experience but it's so pricey and frankly the food doesn't appeal all that much so I'm having trouble going ahead with it.

You can order whatever you want once you have a reservation. You can request a waterside table when you check in if you are willing to wait, but everyone wants one, so it may not be an option.

People have gone there for just dessert.....I don't think they have a very big dessert menu, though. Appetizers are not a-la-carte, they are part of the meal...app- soup or salad and entrée.

They usually just have two desserts, I think. Maybe three.

They won’t give you a walk-up rez just because you say you’re doing dessert only, though. You need to book a normal reservation.

Remember that it is possible to share meals at BB (no split fee for sharing -- just order one entree and ask for an extra plate). That is an easy way to keep the costs down at BB while enjoying the atmosphere. Then the server earns a nice tip, too. If the food looks like it will be too rich, just ask for all the sauces on the side. The kitchen is very willing to work with guests.

Last edited:
We went for desserts only a couple of years ago. Booked as normal for 3.30pm, showed up 15 mins early to check-in and asked for a waterside table, was told a 45 minute wait. We said we were happy to wait and we were called to our table at 3.35pm. There were 3 desserts to choose from at that time. We got the bread basket as well and ordered the light-up drinks.
For us it was a great way to experience Blue Bayou for a lower price and with food we would all want to eat (as the menu didnt particularly appeal)!!

As others have said, you do not have to order an entree, but the dessert menu is very limited (usually only two or three items only and they do not have the dessert menu posted online). There is no appetizer menu; the starters are included in the price of the entrees. In terms of walk-ups...BB is one of the hardest restaurants to get a walk-up. It is possible, but I would not count on it, especially if you're going during a busier time of the year. If you know you want to eat there, then I would go ahead and make a reservation. You'll have to request a waterside table when you check-in; usually the CMs will accept requests, but it may or may not impact your wait time (most times they over-inflate the estimated wait, but sometimes they are pretty accurate).

Did this with a group of friends (I didn't set it up) about a month ago. Note that there is a limited dessert menu. There were only two options.

Honestly, I was really embarrassed to take up an entire table for six and only order dessert. It seemed pretty rude/greedy - you're taking up an entire reservation time (that someone could have had for a full meal), but not ordering as much as the average guest going for dinner, therefore not tipping as much.

Okay, I caved and made a Fantasmic reservation. Are my chances of getting a waterside table better having booked the Fantasmic package? And you can't request waterside until you arrive to check in?

I don't think the F! package has any bearing on where the table is located. They do not pre-assign tables; it's a matter of what table is available next for your party size when it's your turn to be seated. Basically think of the ADR as a spot on the wait list; it's not a true reservation in that they're holding a table for your group at a specific time. When you check-in, you're placed on the wait list (ahead of the stand-bys and behind those that have checked in before you with an ADR). They then go through the wait list and seat parties as tables become available. You have to request a waterside table at check-in (you cannot do it before hand).

Okay, I caved and made a Fantasmic reservation. Are my chances of getting a waterside table better having booked the Fantasmic package? And you can't request waterside until you arrive to check in?

No. They seat anybody anywhere according to availability; it's first come first serve for the waterside tables. You ask for the waterside table at check-in and can expect wait longer. I think 20 minutes longer on average, but it varies a lot depending on crowds and time. Some people get seated at a waterside table right away, others wait 20-40 minutes.

If you didn't want the F! package, I usually suggest people reserve mid-afternoon for a dessert (3-4PM). That way they aren't crushed with lunch and dinner crowds.

Honestly, I was really embarrassed to take up an entire table for six and only order dessert. It seemed pretty rude/greedy - you're taking up an entire reservation time (that someone could have had for a full meal), but not ordering as much as the average guest going for dinner, therefore not tipping as much.
There are times I go places and order only appetizers or dessert. I compensate by tipping what it would have cost had we ordered a full meal for everyone. I don't want the server to feel short changed. So if I only order an average of $10 per person, but a full meal would have been $30 per person, I tip as if we had the $30 per person.

BTW - I have watched a group of 4 come into a restaurant on a busy Friday night, order 1 dessert, share it, all got water, the dessert was $7.49 on the menu, and after an hour, left a $10 on the table.

How old are your girls? The kids meals are only $10 and a very good value. Decent portions.

Ive eaten there for just dessert. I felt tacky, cheap and embarrassed I didn’t wait until I had a bigger budget.

Why would anyone feel embarrassed to just order dessert? It doesn't mean you are poor or cheap, not that either of those things should lead to embarrassment. Going to a restaurant and ordering dessert is fully acceptable otherwise it would be stated that you have to order an entree.

We ordered and paid for appetizer and entree and skipped dessert since we were so unimpressed with the entree I didn't want to waste anymore money. The atmosphere is neat, the but food is nothing to email home about.

My girls are well over age nine, but thanks. Is BB not worth it? I'm hearing negative food reviews.

I don't know why there would be negative reviews. My daughter and I split the Monte Cristo. We like the gumbo, the Monte Cristo and their bread. We get the light up drinks. The food is very good. We always sit by the water, but as a party of 2 we get that end table on the far left and my view is so/so. I give my daughter the better view.

My girls are well over age nine, but thanks. Is BB not worth it? I'm hearing negative food reviews.
It depends on the standard you are holding it to. I like the food, especially the house salad. I've had some very good meals there and one or two that were just okay. If you consider what a similar meal would run at one of the nice national chains, it's expensive for the quality. But you have to remember that not only are you paying theme park prices, you're paying for an incredibly popular theme park restaurant inside an iconic attraction. If the prices were reasonable, getting a reservation would be impossible. If you're someone that enjoy's immersive Disney theming or you're a big PotC fan, it's well worth it.

I also notice they have separate starters on the menu now.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland/blue-bayou-restaurant/menus/dinner/

We go every year. We enjoy the atmosphere. Not *best steak ever* but it’s good food. I usually get the salmon. I’ve been pleased each time. It’s prepared well-I eat salmon often.

... Is BB not worth it? I'm hearing negative food reviews.

"Worth it" is totally subjective for each guest.
A) Are you dining at BB for the chance to eat inside POTC? Since this is the only restaurant to offer this experience at DLR, then, yes, it will probably be worth it. Dining inside the bayou is lots of fun, and there really isn't anything else at DLR exactly like it.
B) Are you dining there for the F! seating area? That is our favorite F! viewing area, so we think it's worth it. (Again, no other restaurant at DLR offers that specific viewing location for F!, up front and center, so we either do the package at BB or don't view F! from that section.)
C) Are you dining at BB only for the food? Here's where things get tricky: some guests love the food there, some like the food, and some don't like it at all. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and there are lots of other places at DLR to get food for the same price/less/more.
For us, the food isn't our absolute favorite at DLR, but we are flexible and know how to work our way around the menu. The kitchen staff has always been very helpful at working with us to adjust the menu to our needs. Things usually work out very well.

So, if your main focus is either A or B (or both), then, yes, BB is "worth it."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!