Can we talk shoes?

I'm really stressed out about what shoes I should plan on wearing on our trip this spring. I haven't been to WDW in 20 years, and my main memory of the parks is painful, aching feet! I really need to wear the best, most supportive shoes possible.

I have regular Nike tennis shoes I wear when doing a lot of walking around here which are fine, I guess, but not great by any means. Plus if they got really wet from a ride or a big rainstorm, they would be a disaster.

So lay it on me. What shoes do you ladies recommend? What about for the kids? I have 2 boys.

Thank you!

I swear by Vionics!
I wear them year round here in sw fla.
Excellent support comfy and they look good with many colors and styles to choose from. However... for some, you need to get used to a Arch/support sandal. They come women’s/men’s not kiddos.
Good luck!

I always take tennis shoes and Chacos. If there's even a chance of rain I wear my Chacos...they have no problem getting wet & dry pretty quickly.

My miracle shoes are Tevas Freewheel canvas shoes. They are cute and go with almost everything. I bought them over the summer for our San Francisco trip, and I had zero issues. My feet were totally fine - and for me, the hills in San Francisco are harder than a Disney parks day.

I wore them on our WDW trip this week and they are now officially my go to shoes. I do alternate shoes, from morning to evening. I don't think I ever wear the same shoes in the evening as I do in the morning. I switch between flip flops (tevas, yellowbox mellow mat, or sanuk) , Toms, and *sometimes* my converse (i have two pair I can manage in for longish periods of time, but overall they are definitely NOT all day park shoes in general)

But anytime I know I'm going to be up and walking for long periods of time, I reach for the Tevas freewheel. I plan to get them in all colors eventually!!

I alternate between my sneakers and sandals. Usually when I take my mid-day break back at the resort, I'll switch out my shoes. I have Teva sandals and I wear Mizuno sneakers. I swore by New Balance for years but I finally went to one of those running stores. They did some review of me walking and suggested the Mizuno's. I also have a paid of the cutest Mickey-print Crocs!! I bought them at AK during my last trip!

Seems like a lot of people like Keens- I prefer my running sneakers- Mizuno Wave Rider 22’s. Light and airy with arch support. I’ve been wearing this brand for years and love them. I’ve never had to break them in- I can put them on and run several miles, but agree with others that its probably a good idea.

I also agree with those who alternate shoes- I feel as though they need at least a day to recover from an all-day park excursion before being worn again. I don’t like gel inserts or moleskin, or anything else on my feet. I sometimes go sock less.

I do swipe on Foot Anti Blister Balm by body glide all over my feet and I’m good to go.

So I brought three pairs of shoes with on our trip in 2016. Well broken in sneakers (I don't wear sneakers, but I bought a pair and forced myself to break them in and pack them because EVERYONE online and in my real life insisted I needed them). I bought a well liked powdered foot soak, foot powder and moleskin to deal with my blistered achey feet. I brought my Nike padded flip flops. You know the ones. The gel type ones. Fun colors? Usually always on sale in summer for 20-30 bucks. I also brought a pair of Tieks.

I never once wore the sneakers. I was in and out of airports all day in the flip flops and accidentally wore them into DS that night...was fine. The whole trip I swapped days between those and the Tieks. My feet were fine! I'm planning a similar approach for our return in December and adding a pair of stretchy 'sneakers' I have been loving because my chiro had a coming to Jesus moment with me and I really need arch support because I am a heavy striker when I hit the ground and I have high pressure when I am on my feet.

Just curious...I've heard a great deal on the pro's and con's of wearing flip flops. I personally love the way my feet feel when wearing flip flops. Can anyone here give me their perspective/preference on wearing flip flops? Would love to hear and chime in on it!

Just curious...I've heard a great deal on the pro's and con's of wearing flip flops. I personally love the way my feet feel when wearing flip flops. Can anyone here give me their perspective/preference on wearing flip flops? Would love to hear and chime in on it!
The only issue I’ve ever had with flip flops is they offer no protection, depending on time of year it could be really crowded,between people stepping on your feet and strollers hitting your ankles from behind. After the 3rd/4th time my feet got stepped on I’d had enough.

Last edited:
I brought a pair of Keens and a pair of tennis shoes. I mainly wore the Keens (example pictured below) since they are waterproof and are airy like sandals but feel more secure and are more comfortable than flip flops. The tennis shoes were my backup.

Like everyone else said, just make sure you break in whatever shoes you choose before going to Disney.

DId you order these online? Are they true to size?

I cannot wear flip flops. Hate having the thong between my toes and it is too much work on my feet to keep them on. My sandal of choice are Birks.

DId you order these online? Are they true to size?

I ordered them online. However, I went to a local store that had them to try them on first to see how they fit. :) (The one I ordered wasn't what they had in store...plus I was watching for deals online that the store didn't offer).

I wear a size 8 in tennis shoes and 7.5 in heels; the 7.5 fit me best for Keens.

I cannot wear flip flops. Hate having the thong between my toes and it is too much work on my feet to keep them on. My sandal of choice are Birks.
Appreciate the response and feedback! So, I totally get what you're saying. Now if the thong between your toes were softer and the overall flip flop more sturdy to minimize the required flex of the foot to keep them on, would that make a difference??

Appreciate the response and feedback! So, I totally get what you're saying. Now if the thong between your toes were softer and the overall flip flop more sturdy to minimize the required flex of the foot to keep them on, would that make a difference??

For myself, I just don’t see the point. I like my Birks. As a teacher, I am on my feet quite a bit. I have learned over my many years to invest in shoes that are comfortable for me.

Fit flop flip flops or sandals, great support, good thick sole. I just love them.

I agree 100%, Fit Flops are wonderful, I can walk all day in them. Any closed shoes hurt my feet, they tend to swell with all the walking and I will get blisters. Gotta have my feet free and breezy !

You gotta just go with what's comfortable for you. Personally I bought a new pair of sneakers a month before my trip and made sure they were broken in. It was fabulous. Also had a backup and changed anytime we stopped in our room. Two pairs of comfy supportive sneakers for the win. Arch support is important.

@Tomh YES. YES. YES. My family wears socks with Tevas. We swear by it! Used to be self conscious, but when in Disney, you have to do what you have to do LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter