Can we chat rain?

I'll be there tomorrow and also stalking the app - those wait times are exciting if we execute our rain strategy well! Our biggest variable will be the stroller.

I like that "Our biggest variable will be the stroller" lol I just find that humorous! :)
Anyway, I am sure all will go very well, even with a stroller.

Sooo I just returned from 3 days of rain at Disney. The black contractor bags worked well once we cut and modified them to slip on over our double stroller. We saw another party with a SHOWER CURTAIN and they used the RINGS to slip onto the handlebar. I wish we were that clever!!! Lessons learned for the future... of course it doesn't usually rain when we go. Or anytime in CA for that matter!

So it sounds like rain is in the long term forecast, so I am going to order some rain shoe-covers and try to figure out a stroller cover. I'm trying to decide if we want to get rain boots for the kids or go with covers for them too. I'm leaning towards rain boots for them, since there are so many cute designs, but I am worried about how comfortable they would be to walk in all day. I might just get rainboots for the 2 youngest who are likely to be riding in the stroller most of the time, and covers for the rest. Adult small should fit all 3 of the bigger kids!

Anyone have suggestions on stroller covers? I'm trying to imagine what the shower curtain solution looks like, but I'm not quite getting it in my head :D

How much are the ponchos at Disneyland? I'm debating packing vs budgeting to get some there, since they seem cute and can be replaced if they tear while in park.

Are umbrellas worth bringing?

Any other success stories from folks who have been to the parks in the rain recently? Or pitfalls/not-so-successful experiences and suggestions for avoiding them?

So it sounds like rain is in the long term forecast, so I am going to order some rain shoe-covers and try to figure out a stroller cover. I'm trying to decide if we want to get rain boots for the kids or go with covers for them too. I'm leaning towards rain boots for them, since there are so many cute designs, but I am worried about how comfortable they would be to walk in all day. I might just get rainboots for the 2 youngest who are likely to be riding in the stroller most of the time, and covers for the rest. Adult small should fit all 3 of the bigger kids!

Anyone have suggestions on stroller covers? I'm trying to imagine what the shower curtain solution looks like, but I'm not quite getting it in my head :D

How much are the ponchos at Disneyland? I'm debating packing vs budgeting to get some there, since they seem cute and can be replaced if they tear while in park.

Any other success stories from folks who have been to the parks in the rain recently? Or pitfalls/not-so-successful experiences and suggestions for avoiding them?
My last rainy day was Superbowl Sunday. It was intermittent, but when it did rain, it was pouring. It was also freezing. It didn't hit 60 that day.

For rainboots, I got gel inserts from Target and put them in. I walked a ton in my rain boots when I went to Portland, but wanted extra support since Disneyland can be a different beast lol. My feet were fine and didn't get sore. We did 6.5 miles that day..not as much as we typically do, but still a lot.

I don't care for ponchos because I feel like they aren't warm, and when the wind blows, you are still getting wet. I use a packable down coat that's waterproof.

Umbrellas can be tricky because if it's windy, and you are wrangling kids, a stroller, food, etc., it's hard to manage. This is why I prefer just using a waterproof coat. Also, I think I wacked someone with mine once and felt bad lol.

Be sure to bring extra pairs of socks and clothes. Using a locker does cost extra money, and does sort of suck when you're park hopping, but it can come in handy. A friend was at the park during the major downpour a few Saturdays ago, and she had to buy entirely new clothes because she was drenched from head to toe. She said she wished she would have spent $10 on a locker than $60 on a new outfit lol.

I'm thinking gallon ziploc bags are going to be useful this trip; we'll have a diaper bag, but from past experience stuff inside can get wet anyway. I'll have to evaluate our current jacket situation. Winter coats seem too bulky for this trip, but the lighter weight wind breakers might be too light weight, and not water proof enough. Lots to think about!

So it sounds like rain is in the long term forecast...

Agree with midnight star -- packable (meaning that the jackets fold into their own pocket or into a small bag) waterproof, windproof jackets/coats are the best for DLR in the rain. Waterproof pants, too, if you have them. We use Landsend, LLBean, and Columbia brand, but I know posters here who've had great success with froggtoggs gear (https://www.froggtoggs.com). Hit the clearance sales on the internet -- matching gear is nice, but I'll take the clearance price first! No umbrellas here -- too easy to lose and too much hassle in ride lines, dripping on others, in vehicles, in shops, etc. Wear your crossbody bag under your raincoat so that your stuff doesn't get soaked. Keep what you use most often (lip balm, phone -- in a zipper bag, etc. in an outer secure pocket) so that you don't have to keep reaching for your purse. We put insoles in our boots, too -- gel insoles, shearling, or orthotics (DH has plantar fasciitis). We have waterproof boots/shoes and rain boots -- use both for DLR -- it just depends on how hard it's raining and how long we're planning to be in the parks that day. But definitely put some kind of insole in the rubber boots and use thick, warm socks (we use wool socks). By wearing waterproof shoes, warm socks, thermals under jeans (and waterproof rain pants over those if necessary), thermal shirts, long sleeves, fleece or down for me (long sleeves + thermal is enough for DH), gloves, and a hat (for me!), and waterproof and windproof jackets or coats, we're good to go from RD to close at DLR, in the rain, even if the temps drop down into the 30's. If it gets to be too much, we can stuff gloves or extra layers in the backpack, pockets, or in a locker. I'd rather be stashing layers than be wet and freezing any day.

Last edited:

There have been several posts the last couple of days discussing rain, so I wanted to bump this thread that has lots of incredible tips. Plus I was double checking my list and couldn't remember some of the advice and needed to re-read this anyway :)

We are planning on rain boots for the kids and rain shoe covers, lots of changes of clothes, and water proof jackets AND ponchos. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do for stroller covers. So far we are 2 weeks out and forecasts seem to hit the range of warm to chilly, and sunny to rainy. It'll be an adventure for sure!

My DH wears size 13-14. He's also insisting he doesn't need anything. I really hate it when he tries to second guess my planning - at this point I feel like his attitude guarantees we will have rain (which doesn't bother me that much - sunny is nice but more crowded, rainy means wet but less crowds so either way its a win-win cuz I'm at Disneyland, right?!), but now he's going to either grumble because I do buy him rain shoes (which are REALLY hard to find big enough), or he'll grumble from having wet feet (no matter how much he insists he won't, it is impossible for someone with cold, wet feet to be a happy camper). Are all men this frustrating or did I just get lucky? :confused3

My DH wears size 13-14. He's also insisting he doesn't need anything. I really hate it when he tries to second guess my planning - at this point I feel like his attitude guarantees we will have rain (which doesn't bother me that much - sunny is nice but more crowded, rainy means wet but less crowds so either way its a win-win cuz I'm at Disneyland, right?!), but now he's going to either grumble because I do buy him rain shoes (which are REALLY hard to find big enough), or he'll grumble from having wet feet (no matter how much he insists he won't, it is impossible for someone with cold, wet feet to be a happy camper). Are all men this frustrating or did I just get lucky? :confused3

I left my DH at home for my trip, so it was a non-issue :D :D :D

The other half of my party that I met for our resort trip didn't prep the same way for the rain and it worked fine for them and didn't ruin ours, if that makes sense. We had 3 days of uncooperative rain. Best thing we had was our rain boots and something to cover wet seats on select rides. Many times we used the disposable ponchos as seat covers for a few rides then tossed them. We had gotten so many on Amazon for cheap that it was not a big deal.

Yeah - I'm not going to be mother-henning my BILs, so I hope they come prepared. Ok, I take that back. I am totally going to send them a suggested packing list. But I'm not going to pack for them like I am for DH :rotfl2:

There have been several posts the last couple of days discussing rain, so I wanted to bump this thread that has lots of incredible tips. Plus I was double checking my list and couldn't remember some of the advice and needed to re-read this anyway :)

We are planning on rain boots for the kids and rain shoe covers, lots of changes of clothes, and water proof jackets AND ponchos. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do for stroller covers. So far we are 2 weeks out and forecasts seem to hit the range of warm to chilly, and sunny to rainy. It'll be an adventure for sure!

We used 2 plastic ponchos for our stroller cover. Worked great and then we just threw them out!

If you can get the overshoes in his size, those are the easiest to pack. If he doesn't use them this trip, he'll use them eventually -- right? If he starts to freeze, he can go buy a hoodie. He can always buy a poncho. But wet feet at DLR? That's miserable. And the shoe covers are easy to throw in a bag. Then you can magically bring them out with a Mary Poppins smile (along with a floor lamp and a house plant and a dry pair of socks...), pat him on the head, and say, "Honey, see how much I love you?" :)

I found a pair that might be big enough - here is hoping! Plan b are those ‘disposable ‘ ones that to me look an awful lot like bread sacks. From past 80s childhood experiences, those can be surprisingly effective st keeping feet dry though. I’m going to buy a bunch of ponchos in bulk and those disposable shoe covers and hopefully that’ll keep my BILs dry too, cover the strollers, and give us seat covers for wet rides. I’ll be totally prepared for rain and it’ll end up being sunny and 70s and crowded all week! So I already bought extra sunblock, and have read up on all the dealing with crowd strategies.

Love this site so much- definitely feeling more prepared than ever!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter