Can I use a ziplock bag that is smaller than quart sized?

Miss Jasmine said:
The TSA says clear plastic, so that is what I would use. I wouldn't use anything with a namebrand on it, just to be on the safe side. The zipper top can be either the slide zipper top or the pressed together zipper top.

And where do you find these?

I have used Ziplock brands and so far so good. I am sorry, but most brands put thier logo on it and the TSA is just going to have to live with this! (They get a little upset if you DARE to write the first Amendment on it or if you write "Kip Hawley is an idiot" as folks on flyertalk are doing, but so far I have not heard of "Brand names being denied. Back to my kickback therory!)

I am cheap, I buy store brand. :teeth: Publix ones don't have anything on them. But it's good to know they aren't being THAT picky. Seriously, if you look on the TSA website the bags shown there have NOTHING on them (probably photoshopped out). I always tend to err on the side of caution with the TSA. It's bad enough I look middle eastern. :rotfl2: Okay, don't mind me I am being extra paranoid abou this one. ;) Use your Ziplock bags and whatever the Hefty ones are called without worry.

The generic wal-mart and meijer bags do not have writing on them either.

I guess I'll put the contacts in a separate bag. There are 4 of us traveling, so no worries about the one bag per person requirement. Should I pull them out to show them, or just leave them in the carry-on? They don't say 3 oz. There's probably 1/4 teaspoon in each contact. I wish I knew what to do. We're putting most in the checked bags, but we've got to have back-ups in case the bags are lost, and DD wears daily disposables....

As a general rule of thumb, STORAGE bags usually do not have the white block for writing on them, but FREEZER bags do have the white block. However, Hefty storage bags are not clear -- they are pale blue.

Storage bags are much thinner than freezer bags, and less likely to be strong enough to contain a liquid spill. I prefer to use a freezer bag as my "freedom baggie" because the plastic is thicker, but I always have a bundle of empties of both types in my carryon, so I'll switch it if I have to.

We fly a lot. I always use the quart-sized zip-top freezer bags with white printing on them. In fact, I write my last name with a Sharpie on the white shaded area, just to keep my bag from being mixed up with someone else's on the conveyor.

I've never had a TSA agent mention the printing on the bag. In fact, 90% of the time they THANK me for having my stuff already in a zip-top bag and ready to put through the detector! So many people haven't gotten the message and it really slows everything down.

I'm confident that you can use any commercially available quart-sized, zip-top bag that is see-through/clear. I've never heard of anyone having trouble due to the manufacturer's name being printed on the bag.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Miss Jasmine said:
I am cheap, I buy store brand. :teeth: Publix ones don't have anything on them. But it's good to know they aren't being THAT picky. Seriously, if you look on the TSA website the bags shown there have NOTHING on them (probably photoshopped out). I always tend to err on the side of caution with the TSA. It's bad enough I look middle eastern. :rotfl2: Okay, don't mind me I am being extra paranoid abou this one. ;) Use your Ziplock bags and whatever the Hefty ones are called without worry.

My grocery store does have QUART size generics. Gallon, Two Gallon, Sandwich they have not quart. (As a matter of fact I had to look two places just to find the right size unless I wanted to pay extra for the "Freezer bags" I didn't think it was worth it. I have used baggies for travel for years before the TSA discovered them and the normal ones have always worked fine for me!)

I bought a box of quart size baggies at the Dollar Store, no writing. I used one for the first time this week and they barely looked at it either way.

I'm also curious about this daily contacts issue.... I was just going to put them in the 3oz. quart size bag. Perhaps I should put them in the declaration bag? But then I will confuse which goes in the right eye and which one goes in the left eye... Contacts :confused3 I have NO idea now....

chris1gill said:
I'm also curious about this daily contacts issue.... I was just going to put them in the 3oz. quart size bag. Perhaps I should put them in the declaration bag? But then I will confuse which goes in the right eye and which one goes in the left eye... Contacts :confused3 I have NO idea now....

Contacts are allowed, they don't have to be in your quart bag. Just use a sharpie and put an R or a L on each blister pack. I put most of my contacts in my checked bags and put some extras in my quart bag.

I have been through several check points where the TSA was giving out ziploc bags so I don't think a brand name makes a difference.

HappyCamperToo said:
:confused3
in or out? :goodvibes

I thought the same thing :rotfl: First you said they didn't have to be in the quart sized bag, but then you said you put your own in your quart sized bag... Heh, are you trying to get me into trouble? :happytv:

I'm leaving tomorrow at this time! :goodvibes

swild19 said:
Do you think that I can use a ziplock bag that is smaller than quart size? I am only planning on having a couple of 3oz bottles and they will fit in a sandwich sized ziplock. Do you think that will be okay. I don't want to buy a whole box of quart sized ones if I can just use a smaller one.

Some airports are handing out quart size. I found a container of lotion in the bottom of my daughter's carry-on when we got home last week. I had no clue it was there and the screeners said nothing to us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter