• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can I handle Test Track?

soarinfan

Mouseketeer
I'm at Disney and I did Toy Story Mania. It was really a rough, jerky ride and if I had known I wouldnt have tried it. Yet I did okay even though I thought I wouldn't be able to handle that because of back and neck. I found I could brace myself.

So I'm going to Epcot tomorrow and I started to think that if I handled toy story mania, maybe i could handle Test Track. Any advice? How hard is it on the back and neck? Will I be able to brace my neck on the headrest?

Also I did Tower of Terror, which I've been afraid to try for years, but really wanted to. Although I don't feel it hurt me physically, I honestly didn't like it. Oh well - there's so much more to do at Disney!

One potential problem with TT is part of the ride is over extremely bumpy cobblestones, and at a fairly high speed.

I have some back issues myself and one thing that bothered me was the way the ride brakes at the very end after you go around the high speed turns was a VERY jerky start and stop type braking.

I'm not sure if this is an issue for you, but you have to climb down into the vehicle and then up out of it. There is a warning in front of Test Track for people with back and neck problems not to ride. It's not the same kind of "whipping" motion found in TS Mania but would bump your neck pretty hard against the headrest. I guess it's up to you!---Kathy

I don't have back or neck problems and after riding TT I had a headache and sore neck for 2 days.

Not sure what your neck problem is but I had a pulled neck muscle when we went in March that was getting better (slowly......). I rode Test Track and BTMRR and I could tell immediately with both of those that it was a mistake.:headache: Both of them whip your head around a bit - too much for my already strained neck. That made it way worse than it had ever been.

I can't compare it to Toy Story cause that wasn't open when we were there.

My neck is better now but it sure did take a long time!

The thing with TT (or any ride) is not what does the actual ride do--but what if it has to stop suddenly/break down/load an accessible vehicle, etc???? I injured myself on TT when it came to a sudden and complete stop one time. (Even the teacups with a sudden stop can send you flying).

That being said--no you can not rest your head back on TT---you feel every little bump and nuance on the track and that rattles my neck and head. The begining is the block test-very bumpy. The brake test is almost a sudden stop. But I ride it---ONCE per trip. (You can always "med up" if necessary afterwards ;) )

If there are others in your party familiar with your issues--send them on as test dummies. Then get their opinion--I have to do this for every new ride at Disney. A bit of pain but worth it.

Well guys - thanks for all the input! I decided to skip it on this trip. I figure it's not worth the risk. I did go on soarin, my all time favorite ride! It never gets old and it's such a thrill! My husband has been on test track several times and wanted me to try it. But he thought I could handle TOT and I came off shaking. I'm starting to wonder if he's the best judge for me.

Well guys - thanks for all the input! I decided to skip it on this trip. I figure it's not worth the risk. I did go on soarin, my all time favorite ride! It never gets old and it's such a thrill! My husband has been on test track several times and wanted me to try it. But he thought I could handle TOT and I came off shaking. I'm starting to wonder if he's the best judge for me.

Trust me, he is not the best judge. People you meet in real life and online like here can give you better advice. For example, I have a disintegrating disc in my back so I can tell a person with a fragile back like mine that the Dinosaur ride, Indiana Jones (DLR), and Kilamanjaro Safari how bumpy those rides are. I have been rear ended on theAutopia car ride so I can warn someone of that. As you have seen people with similar problems or who know someone with your type of health limitations seem to know best.

Also to your husband that bump is nothing but to a person with a bad back it is a "Morphine NOW" pain. For some people driving across a bridge is no big deal but to me it is me hunkered down on the steering wheel, squiniting hard, and you have pry my hands off the steering wheel. For me it is just a horse, cat, dog or spider but to a phobic person it is a total shutdown. It is frustrating when people tell you that you are chicken or over reacting but you know inside that saying no is the right thing.

Use youtube and the internet like this site to see what you cannot do, might do and will be able to do. Big hugs and good luck on your trip. Listen to your instincts as it would sure be swell to do something but would the end result be worth it?

My FIL has spinalcord/brain injury and is paralyzed, but he got on Test Track and loved it. The bumps from the stones are rough, and the brake testing is hard on you, but like my FIL said that is what a real car feels like. He rode everything we did including Rock n Rollercoaster and TOT. He loves TOT. He didn't complain of any aches or pains because of the rides though. It is completely up to you if you think you can handle the ride. My FIL does need help in and out of the ride into his wheelchair, but as long as DH is there- no problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter