Can I get a Light Saber? Our January '19 SWDAS TR *Updated 1/28: Cozumel, part 1*

Your brunch at Palo looks amazing! I hear you on the shows.. I wish they would update them.
Brunch was fabulous! I’m so glad I was able to get it booked for us.

I really, really tried to love them... because Disney. But yikes! I don’t remember the shows being like that on the Magic or Wonder, but I also haven’t sailed in ten years. Maybe time has skewed my memories?

I am not a big fan of the shows either, but my husband loves them...lol. So I am sure we will be watching them. I can't wait to see what you did in Cozumel. I just wanted to let you know I am still following and loving your report.

I am not a big fan of the shows either, but my husband loves them...lol. So I am sure we will be watching them. I can't wait to see what you did in Cozumel. I just wanted to let you know I am still following and loving your report.
I’m sure if we go on another cruise we’d still see all the shows again... haha.

I think we had the most fun in Cozumel.

Thanks for reading!!! I appreciate it so much :)

Cozumel, pt 1 (San Gervasio ruins)
Monday, January 7
We woke up around 7:30 to start our big Cozumel day. Our excursion was meeting 9:15 in the Walt Disney Theatre, so we had plenty of time to shower and get breakfast before our meeting time. We headed up to Cabanas, and while it was busy, is wasn't too crazy. We kept our eyes open for Marcos and Nicholas, but didn't manage to see them at breakfast. I had what came to be my "usual" Cabanas breakfast.

39825752893_97b4b1f0a2_z.jpg
Mickey waffle with strawberries and whipped cream, bacon, hash brown, ham and cheese omelet, bowl of muesli, coffee and juice!
We each had a big breakfast today, since we weren't sure when we'd be eating next! Soon it was time for our meet up, so we each grabbed a couple of towels and made sure we had everything we needed for the day. We got our group stickers (Pinocchio!) and then followed our paddle off the ship.

Today we would be doing CZ80 Cozumel Ruins, Chocolate, and Beach Break ($60 pp): Discover the mystery of the San Gervasio Mayan Ruins, sample Mexican Chocolate and soak up the sun at Playa Mia.

46066265464_b6a0cc3a82_z.jpg
We're in Cozumel!
We made our way through the 'mall,' which took a few minutes, but soon were boarding our bus. The bus was clean and well maintained. We met our tour guide, Jorge, and bus driver, Pedro. Jorge was an awesome guide!!! He really made the tour for us. We were soon our way to San Gervasio. Jorge narrated the whole way, giving information about the island and San Gervasio.

46738116532_bd6a525fcf_z.jpg

When we arrived, we were given an opportunity to use the restroom facilities before enter the ruins. There were a few people set up here selling things and were rather persistent, so we just kept saying no thank you.

46065205124_6e49cd2ec0_z.jpg
Buy a shirt! No thank you...

46056724364_e76ab2e17c_z.jpg
I love his Coco shirt!

39825746383_1665cc2699_z.jpg
Info about San Gervasio

32851683698_13d3632966_z.jpg
Las Manitas was the residence of the Mayan ruler of Cozumel during the Terminal Classic Period. It has an outer room that was his residence and an inner sanctum that was his personal shrine. The name of the building comes from red-colored hand prints on the interior walls.
--Wikipedia

31848946147_0d57dfdeb6_z.jpg
Las Manitas up close

45842334885_75aec47d6e_z.jpg
Jorge!
Jorge enjoyed telling us about the Mayans. Jorge was of Mayan descent, and it was very interesting hearing him speak about the Mayan culture and misconceptions about the Mayans (no human sacrificing!). You could tell he was very passionate about the subject. He told us that the ruins were once a hub of worship of the goddess Ix Chel, the goddess of childbirth, fertility, and medicine. Mayan women would try to travel to San Gervasio and make offerings at least once in their lives.

46790934491_23ccf37eed_z.jpg
El Arco, the arch that was the entrance to the town. Stone roads were built leading to the town!
Image limit reached, continued in next post!

Cozumel (San Gervasio ruins continued)

46738525462_151ddd048f_z.jpg

Hello, Mr. Iguana!

46729492932_43812b41ff_z.jpg

31848572917_b1b373a5a4_z.jpg
Las Columnas

46056647974_39ea4244d2_z.jpg
Spanish. Mayan. English.

46680822842_1d60118d09_z.jpg

Hot and Sunny... and sweaty!
Shoo, it might have been January, but the shade was limited here and it was HOT! We spent about an hour at San Gervasio, and honestly I wish we had had more time. We had a few minutes after Jorge's 45 minute guided tour to look around, but we were terrified about being late to the bus, so we both just sort of hung out in the courtyard area before getting back on the bus.

46781555741_a8045147a7_z.jpg

46737931242_a234ff570a_z.jpg

46729106492_8932045119_z.jpg

We were given a cold bottle of water or a Coke upon reentering the bus, and it was a very welcomed surprise! We then took a long (45 minutes?) guided tour around the island on the bus. Jorge was again very entertaining and informative as we headed to the Playa Mia area for the next part of our tour: Chocolate and Beach time!

Last edited:
Jorge enjoyed telling us about the Mayans. Jorge was of Mayan descent, and it was very interesting hearing him speak about the Mayan culture and misconceptions about the Mayans (no human sacrificing!).
This tour looks really fun! I think it was the Aztecs that did the human sacrificing.

This tour looks really fun! I think it was the Aztecs that did the human sacrificing.
It was a really fun tour. It gave us a taste of 3 different things in Cozumel, which was great for Donnie’s first time out of the country. I need to get cracking on the rest of our Cozumel day!

Joining in a bit late but loving your trip report! Our first DCL Cruise was in November and I’m still in withdrawal. :mickeybar SWDAS looks like a ton of fun! And I’m still giggling at the towel animal caption “Stop looking at me swaaaaan.” :laughing:

Funnily, I watched an episode of a show yesterday that was about Mayan sacrifices. And thought of this thread!

Today we would be doing CZ80 Cozumel Ruins, Chocolate, and Beach Break ($60 pp): Discover the mystery of the San Gervasio Mayan Ruins, sample Mexican Chocolate and soak up the sun at Playa Mia.
I was reading along with this earlier because of Star Wars, but now I'm signed up for this same itinerary and SWDAS next February! And I was thinking I would end up doing this port excursion, so your TR is becoming extra helpful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!