"Can I Get A Hangover Steak, Please?" An Adults-Only, Irma-Rific TR! - NEW PTR Link 4/11

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Can't wait to hear the next update, and hope Irma didn't ruin things too much. You had a great attitude about it!

all of these people were enjoying themselves on vacation and I’m stuck at work.”

Uhhh what? What did that CM think would be happening when he got a job at Disney??!

36993361901_52c042a3c4_z.jpg

So cute!!!

And I would definitely have shed some tears over park closures too. Merry Christmas!

om was a little squirmy at the top of Primeval Whirl, but he actually loved it! In fact, we stayed in the car and rode it twice in a row since there was no line! AK was basically deserted this day; I think it was a combination of Irma and everybody crowding in Pandora.
I feel like Pandora is really drawing everyone to that side of the park. Just think what DHS will be like when Star Wars opens up...

It was 1:30 PM, and even though we had a dinner ADR at 5:15, we just needed something to hold us over. We decided to all share some chilli cheese fries and the #1- Ribs, Chicken, and Pulled Pork Sampler. Mom and Tom opted for beers while I got some Mandarin Orange Lemonade- yum!

This looks soooo good right now!

In a way, it actually made me feel a bit better, because I felt less pressure to make the trip "perfect." Because, well, we knew that we were in for an interesting ride the next few days :rotfl2: Fortunately, the rest of my family wasn’t too affected by the news, and off to DHS we went!

Happier mindset starts...now!
It must have still been hard. I get it. I hope you made the best of your time!

Side note, how is Disney in February? Just scheming for future trips... :scratchin We've never gone in the winter before, but have tried summer, spring, and fall!
Last year was the first time we went at the end of February since that was my spring break. The beginning of the week was busy because of the princess marathon but the end of the week wasn’t bad and I thought the weather was perfect! But I basically live in the frozen tundra so by February I’ll take anything over 50 degrees. There was only one day that was super hot but it wasn’t humid like Florida normally is. If definitely give it a shot. I think the first week of March would be perfect too.

Hi friends! As I'm writing this update, it's a winter wonderland outside! Growing up in Wisconsin, you basically expect all of December through March to be cold and snowy :crazy2: Although it's beautiful, it definitely has it's drawbacks!
We got 34 inches yesterday on Christmas. I’m over this winter wonderland haha!

Me driving on the freeway during a blizzard!

image-gif.288493
Me driving to my Mom’s house yesterday as my windshield wiper broke.

We all tried to be silly in this picture; Tom got the timing a bit off, Mom was pretending to be a T-Rex, and I was trying to be all nonchalant. Side note- the people in the front row give me life :worship:
I think Dinosaur has the best ride photos! Haley’s face is gold:rotfl:

However, after reading the news, I kind of lost it :sad: Of course, I hadn’t told my parents or Tom anything I had just read, so they all were in shock when I just started bawling out of nowhere :lmao: Tom was Boyfriend of the Year and sort of just let me cry on his shoulder for a little bit, and my Mom (being her amazing self) told me that we could maybe do a quick trip next year to make up for things.
I can only imagine how stressful and frustrating that must have been. I’m glad you were able to get back to a happy place and enjoy the night!

Good thinking on your part I'm interested to see what you guys decide to do.

It was a tough decision, but we did not regret it one bit in the end!!

I never used to be into midday breaks either but they honestly do make a difference, even if only for a short period of time.

Interested in seeing how Irma affected the rest of the trip. I do love your attitude though, hope you were able to enjoy whatever it was you guy ended up doing!

They really do! Mid-day breaks at AKL were a bit hard to do since it's kind of remote, but if I was staying on the monorail/boardwalk, they would be a no-brainer now!

It was definitely an interesting vacation! And thank you, we didn't want to dwell on something we couldn't change :)

Sounds like the rest of your afternoon was fun! Especially since you didn't have to ride KRR!! ;)

I'm sure it was sad when the closures officially happened and the realizations of your park time being cut short finally hit you :(

But I bet you all made the best of what time you had!!

YES! I was so excited to not ride KRR...managed to escape it for one more trip! :woohoo:

It was sad, but at least we had a final answer about closures and were able to make the most of the rest of our time in Disney!

It's what Dads do best. I know...I have first hand experience! :rotfl2:

That looks awesome! I've read good things about Flame Tree but I've never been there. My family's AK day usually starts with the Tusker House breakfast because the girls enjoy the characters, so we're too full for lunch and then we normally have left AK before supper time.

Hahah! :rotfl:

Flame Tree BBQ was awesome :thumbsup2 We never really sit down to eat at Animal Kingdom; we've tried Pizzafari once but we mostly just go to the park in the morning/early afternoon and snack our whole time there. Flame Tree will definitely be our go-to QS at AK from now on! I have been very curious about Tusker House and I'm thinking we will be trying that in the future.

Aw man, you are totally allowed to cry! I was definitely freaking out a lot about the storm ruining the trip and spent so much time just looking at satellite photos before I decided to get there earlier!

You know, the same thing happened for me. Once I knew all my careful plans were totally gone, it was easier to relax!

Haha, thanks girl :rotfl2: Sometimes you just need to let it out!

Glad you felt the same way. Before the trip and the first part of it I was SO paranoid and wishy-washy, but after we found out the news, it was much easier to swallow knowing that "this is how it is, and we can't change it." ::yes::

Merry Christmas to you too!

I saw people doing it when it was freezing out we didn't get it :cold:

Aw, this was part of why I ended up changing our trip I just wasn't sure how many days the parks would be closed. At least they didn't end up being closed as long as they thought!

Hope you and Josh had a great Christmas :goodvibes

Ugh, why would people to KRR in the winter? The only water ride I would even THINK about doing in the winter is Splash Mountain, because let's face it, I'm obsessed with it :rotfl:

Yes, you guys definitely made the right choice in staying home with your later arrival day! We at least still got about 5 solid park days even with the storm! And we got to explore AKL a lot. :lmao:
:tigger:Merry Christmas to you too!

Great update, can't wait to read what happens next.

Thanks so much!! Hope your Christmas was wonderful :goodvibes

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Can't wait to hear the next update, and hope Irma didn't ruin things too much. You had a great attitude about it!

Thank you!! Hope you had a fantastic Christmas :)

Although Irma threw a wrench in our plans, it certainly didn't ruin our trip! If anything, it just made us appreciate Disney and their amazing customer service even more :goodvibes

Uhhh what? What did that CM think would be happening when he got a job at Disney??!

So cute!!!

And I would definitely have shed some tears over park closures too. Merry Christmas!

Hope you had a great Christmas :goodvibes

I know right? (about the weird CM). That's why I couldn't see myself working at Disney, I'd be thinking that in my head all day long :rotfl:

I feel like Pandora is really drawing everyone to that side of the park. Just think what DHS will be like when Star Wars opens up...

This looks soooo good right now!

It must have still been hard. I get it. I hope you made the best of your time!

Glad someone else understands :goodvibes

Flame Tree BBQ was amazing...we wolfed it down so quick! And OMG, I can't even imagine Hollywood Studios in the next couple years...it's going to be crazy. Good thing I don't have a huge emotional attachment to DHS ::yes::

Last year was the first time we went at the end of February since that was my spring break. The beginning of the week was busy because of the princess marathon but the end of the week wasn’t bad and I thought the weather was perfect! But I basically live in the frozen tundra so by February I’ll take anything over 50 degrees. There was only one day that was super hot but it wasn’t humid like Florida normally is. If definitely give it a shot. I think the first week of March would be perfect too.

We got 34 inches yesterday on Christmas. I’m over this winter wonderland haha!

Me driving to my Mom’s house yesterday as my windshield wiper broke.

I think Dinosaur has the best ride photos! Haley’s face is gold:rotfl:

I can only imagine how stressful and frustrating that must have been. I’m glad you were able to get back to a happy place and enjoy the night!

Good to know about Disney in February. :thumbsup2 My main concern is the weather (we like it hot, hot, hot!), but it sounds like it wasn't an issue! Mom and I were thinking about going early February (1-6), but decided against it because we're doing a girl's trip in February to NYC with Haley instead! The prices are certainly cheaper though and it sounds like the crowds aren't too bad either! When I went to Disney in March, the weather during the day was absolutely perfect, but I definitely needed pants and a sweatshirt at night.

34 inches?!?!? OMG :eek: I can't even imagine... I would be so stressed it's not even funny :rotfl2:

It was pretty frustrating hearing about Irma, but I was determined to not let it ruin our fun. We can't control it, so we might as well go with the flow, amirite?

Real-Life Update- Molly’s Very Merry Christmas!!

Hello Disfriends! Thought I’d do a quick real-life update to show you guys a look into my family’s Christmas this year! Hope yours was all that you wished for and more :goodvibes

We spent Christmas at home this year, as usual. I would love to spend Christmas in WDW at least once in my life! Although the crowds are awful, everything is so pretty and festive this time of year. If I ever went to Disney over Christmas time, I’d either stay at the Wilderness Lodge…

Self-Explanatory.

Or the Yacht Club! I love the nautical theme paired with Christmas colors.

If you could (or have) stayed on Disney property during Christmas, what resort is your top choice? Let me know in the comments :yay:

Anyway, we usually make a bigger deal about Christmas Eve in our house and get together with the family, while Christmas Day is just about relaxing! Every other year, my family and my aunt and uncle’s family switch off hosting, and this year, we hosted! Two of my uncles, my aunt, and my cousins came over for dinner and our traditional gift exchange. My mom made Chicken Parmesan, twice-baked potatoes, and rolls, and my aunt brought a salad :love:

"Sisters, Sisters..." :cutie:

On Christmas Day, it was just Mom, Dad, me, Haley and Ryan! Tom was in Green Bay celebrating with his family. Of course, I had to bring a bit of Disney into my Christmas, starting with my OJ glass!

Probably my favorite glass that we have :rose: And I also had to get a Christmas morning selfie in my festive PJS!

Now, whenever my family asks me what I want for Christmas, at the top of my list is always: Anything Disney :earboy2: Seriously, if it is Disney-themed, I will probably love it :laughing: I received some non-Disney gifts as well, but I’ll share some Disney loot I got with y’all!

It’s a Milwaukee tradition for St. Nick to come and fill our stockings on December 6th, so I got one Disney gift early this year (I think this tradition is common in areas with a high German population?) I got..

A Disney day-by-day calendar for 2018! :goodvibes I had this same brand of calender this past year and LOVED IT. Every day, I look forward to ripping off the sheet and seeing what the picture is for the day! On Christmas Day, it was…

Lilo and Stitch :stitch2: Seriously guys, this calendar is so cute. I even brought it to WDW in September so I could keep up with the days! Does anybody skip through their calendars to see what the picture is on their birthday/birth month? Nope, just me? Carry on, then :rotfl:

The first gift I opened on Christmas Day happened to be..

A Pizza Planet T- Shirt! It is from the store “Box Lunch.” I had been eyeing this up since before our September trip, but the only size they had left was a medium and it was too big. But, Mom managed to find one in my size, yay! Definitely saving this for future Disney trips; it would be really cute with some jean shorts and Converse sneakers!

Speaking of Box Lunch, I also got a $40 gift card from Santa! :hyper:

This store just popped up in my local mall about a year ago, and I’m obsessed with it. Basically, Box Lunch is a store all about quirky fandoms (and their stuff is for adults)! They have a huge Disney merchandise section, as well as stuff from Harry Potter, Dr. Who, Pokemon, Nickelodeon, Bob’s Burgers, etc. I already have my eye on a few things…

I love all of their Disney purses! Aren't these perfect for hanging around the parks?! I also have my eye on a few t shirts..

And let's be honest, I would totally buy all of these shirts, even though they are technically for men!

As you all may know, I am about as obsessed with the 90s as I am with Disney :thumbsup2 Box Lunch can be a bit pricey, but all of their stuff is high-quality and one of a kind! I know they have an online store, and there are sales from time to time, so I’ll link it here if you want to check it out :)

http://www.boxlunch.com

The last Disney-related present I got was…

The DVD of Moana! My mom claims that she “always” hears me talk about this movie! She hasn’t seen it yet (I know :sad2:), so I made her promise to have a movie night soon. I think she’d love Moana!

I’ll show you guys one last non-Disney present, because it came with the DVD of Moana. Just a few weeks ago, Ryan and I were having a heated debate on movies when he asked me if I had ever seen “The Princess Bride.” When I told him that I hadn’t, he basically gave me this look…

image.gif

Well, I guess my mom had overhead that conversation and went out to buy it for me the next day :lmao:

I really don’t know how I haven’t seen it yet, it seems right up my alley! Any Princess Bride fans over here on the DIS?!

After opening presents, we ate a delicious brunch of cinnamon rolls, egg strata, and bacon-wrapped smokies cooked by my dad :cloud9: Then, we drove Haley and Ryan to the airport so that they could catch their flight to Dallas, where Ryan's grandparents live. And the rest of the day was spent napping, eating leftovers, and watching Elf. Overall, it was a wonderful Christmas!

I will be back sometime later this week or next week with a TR update for you all :goodvibes Oh, and one more thing…

It’s a Milwaukee tradition for St. Nick to come and fill our stockings on December 6th, so I got one Disney gift early this year (I think this tradition is common in areas with a high German population?)
We have adopted this tradition! Mostly because I hate going to see the Santa at the mall. But I love this tradition!

Basically, Box Lunch is a store all about quirky fandoms (and their stuff is for adults)! They have a huge Disney merchandise section
How did I not know about this store!?! Checking it out now!

I really don’t know how I haven’t seen it yet, it seems right up my alley! Any Princess Bride fans over here on the DIS?!
I love this movie. Have you watched it yet? It is so good! I got my girls into it as well!

After opening presents, we ate a delicious brunch of cinnamon rolls, egg strata, and bacon-wrapped smokies
OMG! We basically had the same Christmas Breakfast! Great families think alike.

My sister and I keep saying we’re going to learn this dance and perform it for my mom. It’s one of my favorite Christmas movies!

A Disney day-by-day calendar for 2018! :goodvibes I had this same brand of calender this past year and LOVED IT. Every day, I look forward to ripping off the sheet and seeing what the picture is for the day! On Christmas Day, it was
I bought this same one for my mom and she bought it for my sister

Hope you and Josh had a great Christmas :goodvibes

Thank you! You and Tom too!

Ugh, why would people to KRR in the winter? The only water ride I would even THINK about doing in the winter is Splash Mountain, because let's face it, I'm obsessed with it :rotfl:

I didn't understand! I didn't understand why people were on Splash Mt either though it was sooo cold :cold:

Yes, you guys definitely made the right choice in staying home with your later arrival day! We at least still got about 5 solid park days even with the storm! And we got to explore AKL a lot. :lmao:

Oh yeah we would've only had like 2.5 days.

Or the Yacht Club! I love the nautical theme paired with Christmas colors.

Yes! I love the little boat wreaths.

If you could (or have) stayed on Disney property during Christmas, what resort is your top choice? Let me know in the comments :yay:

I thought AKL was very Christmas-y.

This store just popped up in my local mall about a year ago, and I’m obsessed with it

I wish we had one! I've seen their stuff online.

Sounds like a wonderful and relaxing Christmas!!

That Pizza Planet shirt is awesome! I would totally rock the Friends one!

Happy New Year :)

It’s a Milwaukee tradition for St. Nick to come and fill our stockings on December 6th, so I got one Disney gift early this year (I think this tradition is common in areas with a high German population?)
When I was a kid, we took the St. Nick tradition a step further. We would put our Christmas lists in our stockings, and when St. Nick came he would pick up the lists and deliver them to Santa. It must have worked, because we always seemed to get a few things from those lists!

Any Princess Bride fans over here on the DIS?!
Yes! Love that movie. The silliness of it is great, if you like that sort of thing. Because of that movie, I cannot say "inconceivable" without feigning a lisp (you'll see what mean when you watch it).

If you could (or have) stayed on Disney property during Christmas, what resort is your top choice? Let me know in the comments
So I am planning a trip in December next year and couldn't pick a resort! So I'm doing AKL, BWI, and WL! And I will be adding plenty of time for resort hopping-I definitely want to explore all of the Deluxes and maybe some of the Moderates!

I even brought it to WDW in September so I could keep up with the days! Does anybody skip through their calendars to see what the picture is on their birthday/birth month? Nope, just me? Carry on, then
Haha, I totally do this! My sister also brings her weekly fashion calendars on vacation with us. Her boyfriend asked why and she said she wanted to keep up to date with the photos; he said why not just check them ahead of time. Her look was just aghast!

It is from the store “Box Lunch.”
OMG-I LOVE BOX LUNCH! Whenever someone is trying to come up with a present for me I just say, anything from Box Lunch!

Anyway, we usually make a bigger deal about Christmas Eve in our house and get together with the family, while Christmas Day is just about relaxing!

Christmas Eve has always been a big deal in our house too!

Such a cute picture of the two of you!

Does anybody skip through their calendars to see what the picture is on their birthday/birth month? Nope, just me? Carry on, then :rotfl:

No, definitely not just you.:rotfl2:

I can't believe you haven't seen The Princess Bride! Such a good movie! :thumbsup2

Love your trip report! We went to WDW two weeks ago and oh my goodness the crowds! That said I think Beach Club had my favorite lobby with the gingerbread carousel! It was a fun trip but we will not be going back at Christmas again!

Lurker here, popping in to say that Box Lunch is great. We found it when we were shopping for our kids' Christmas presents this year and will definitely be frequent customers. Also, Princess Bride is awesome(big fan here if the name wasn't a giveaway). Loving the TR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter