Can I do this with a toddler?

Belle1962

DIS Veteran
I have reservations for the Courtyard at DD at the end of August. I am playing with the idea of taking my 19 month old grandchild with me. I had planned this trip solo and was wondering:

How would I handle a 7 hour drive with the baby in the back? I plan on getting a tv in a bag thing and leaving while she's still sleeping but what about when she's awake? I know stops to let her run but can I really do it solo? Anyone done it????

How do I get baby in a stroller, and at least 2 cases in and out of the hotel on arrival and departure days? bellhops???

I'm not worried about the day to day getting up, to the parks, etc. just certain situations?

I'm assuming for a bathroom break (for me) I could just wheel her stroller with me into a handicapped stall?????

DH, DS, and others can not go with me so it would really be me on my own.

I think this could be fun grandmommy and me time but can I really do it????

Any thoughts, advice (ARE YOU CRAZY????), tips????

I think you could totally do this and have a lot of special memories when it's over!

Let's see, your questions....

Well, is she a good traveller? If not you could plan to drive in the evening, maybe just before dinner, then stop for dinner and leg stretching, then she would only have a couple of hours before she'd fall asleep for the night.

Or the reverse might work in the morning. Leave before the sun comes up and get a few hours under your belt before she's up for breakfast. (We have travelled a lot with kids in jammies! Can you tell? :) )

When she's awake, there are travel trays that attach to car seats. Our daughters always like to color or play with small toys that sit on top of it. Crayola makes a marker and paper set that is NO MESS!!! color only appears on the paper so you wouldn't have to worry about the markers falling onto the seat.

YES, on the bellhops or other hotel personal. I find people are very helpful when I'm on my own with baby in tow.

Oh, and our stroller has seen many a handicap restroom stall :jester:

I'm excited for you. What a GREAT Gramma!!!!!!

Belle,

I think the toughest thing to do would be the drive. Lets see seven hours. I would head out at like 5am and hope she would sleep until 7am. Then I would stop at McDonalds let her run around and eat for 1/2 an hour. Put in a full length movie she has not seen before but you are pretty sure will like (maybe a Rugrats movie, or Disney movie she hasn't seen) and drive like crazy for two more hours. That gets 4 hours out of the way. Then stop again for a potty break and let her pick out a drink and non-messy snack for her (sippy cup and fruit chews). Put in her most favorite movie and get going again. That should get you about 6 hours done. Then stop one more time for a potty break. Then play Disney sing along videos or play a disney cd in your radio to get excited for your trip and point out signs on the road for her. That should get you there in about 8 hours.

As far as the hotel goes, money talks. Park under the covered area. Go in with your Granddaughter, check in, and have a bell hop help you with your bags. They will store them for you while you park and take your Granddaughter up to your room. Then simply call down to either front desk or bell services and have them bring your luggage to your room and then tip them.

The rest of your stay will be easy, just take her everywhere you go. When you need to use the restrooms either use the handicapped stall like you mentioned or use a baby care centers where they have 'family' bathrooms.

Have a great time!!!

My dd was 20mo on our last trip...and we had a 16 hour drive!

It can be done. Our car secrets....music and Hyland's Calm tablets. The Hyland's are a homeopathic remedy/sleep aid....which means that they do not contain any sort of drug or herb....homeopathy works in mysterious ways, but to put it simply, a homeopathic remedy is a sugar pill that's been soaked in a extremely diluted solution made from herbs, minerals or other natural substances...so diluted that the original substance is no longer detectable in the lab. Yet these things do wonders! Hylands also makes a teething tablet, which is also wonderful!

Anyway, my dd happily slept for most of our trip and was quite relaxed and happy when she was awake. We only had to stop for gas.

In our experience, stops to run seem to backfire! My dd wants to stop every 15 minutes for half an hour if we start doing that. Its easiest to just drive when she'd normally be resting (overnight and early mornings) and give her some help to stay asleep (my dd also does not sleep well in the car under usual circumstances) She's happiest and we get there faster!

The stroller in the handicapped stall is every mom's secret for going while out! Plus there are the baby care centers.

As long as you have the energy to keep up with a toddler (my mom isn't even 50 yet and complains of not having enough energy for my dd!) and she is accustomed to staying away from home for the amount of time you'll be away, it should work out fine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter