• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can DH bring Rental ECV to the park to meet me?

ammag

DIS Veteran
We might be in a travel situation where I go without my ECV for a bit, and then meet DH and DS at MK but need Dh to bring the scooter. Does this violate the whole one person driver part of rental agreement, or does that simply mean more than one person cannot ride at a time?
Can they be pushed witht him riding on it? He will be wiht our four year old.

Thanks!

They mean not more than one person at a time.

Do you mean pushing it with the 4 year on it? If so, no. That won't work. They are not the easiest to push and are hard to steer while pushing.

I know you did not say, but it would be a violation of most agreements to allow a child to ride with either you or your husband on the ECV. It is also very unsafe.

You can switch off users of the ECV with no problem. They are difficult to push even without a child on the seat.

No our son won't be on it...I mean DH would have to push it while DS. Walks along wiht him, DH. Can't ride it and hold DS hand, etc.had to be pushed. And using the bus system...

It would be hard to push any distance, especially while holding a child's hand. You basically have to push from the back with one hand while leaning over and steering with the other hand.
Could you rent one for the day in the park that day?

Or, could you take it with you and just park it somewhere while you won't be using it?

@ammag: I know that just looking at any ECV, it appears that it might not be too difficult to push. Especially after driving one - they easily whiz right along, and so pushing or pulling it around without a rider should be a breeze, right?

Wrong. Here's the simple explanation for why: Virtually every ECV being sold or rented in the US right now has been designed to be difficult to push - on purpose. Because of the motors & gearing used, there is essentially a built in braking system that is used to help keep the ECV from rolling away as a rider enters and exits on (relatively) level ground. Think of it like the equivalent of putting a car in "Park". This type of brake is deactivated when the user engages the throttle on the ECV, because the motor turns the axle, and the gears engage, and away you go.

Additionally there is typically a secondary braking system that is activated against the rear wheel(s); this is more akin to a parking brake. Often, people will get back on their ECV at an attraction, and it won't go - because a CM has set that rear brake after moving the ECV.

Basically the "parking brake" system is in place to help mitigate liability claims for the manufacturer; they don't want ECV to roll away when someone steps on it, and the rider gets injured, or when someone steps off of it, and flatten an innocent bystander.

An "average" rental ECV can weigh anywhere from 75 to 130 pounds; some weigh more*. Once again - go to the supermarket, or any place locally that has an electric "store cart", and just try to push one with or without a rider. I won't say it's impossible, but it's not at all easy, either.

*My personal ECV weighs 35 pounds without me. Even so, I would not push it manually very far, simply because it's too hard to, and it can damage the motor and gears.

OP, could you just take the EVC with you and park it while you do not need it? Then you could get it when you need it.

O. Thanks. I was hoping at universal for half a day I could. Go witht, it sounds cumbersome. Bbt maybe I will take it, hopefully I can manage it ok in a cab (gogo scooter) and leave it as we do wizarding.

Sounds like it's not worth even attempting to have DH transport for sure! Who knows maybe I can handle the day witht it, but it highly doubt it especially at vacation day #8!

@ammag, you can take it to Universal. I think it's the Mears Shuttle (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) that can send a vehicle that will accommodate your rental scooter!

Go - have fun, take the scooter, and let your hubby and your son have some "guy" time! :)

@ammag, you can take it to Universal. I think it's the Mears Shuttle (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) that can send a vehicle that will accommodate your rental scooter!

Go - have fun, take the scooter, and let your hubby and your son have some "guy" time! :)
yes
You can arrange with Meats for shuttles that go to and from Universal.
That can provide accessible ones.

I was planning to use uber to save $. It sounds like a lot of wizarding world is small, some say hard with scooters. Like the shops. Well I have a new doctor and new treatment so who knows maybe I can handle it! Or not.time will tell. Good to know there are options !

I was planning to use uber to save $. It sounds like a lot of wizarding world is small, some say hard with scooters. Like the shops. Well I have a new doctor and new treatment so who knows maybe I can handle it! Or not.time will tell. Good to know there are options !

Just remember with Lyft or Uber to specifically request an accessible vehicle when you use the App - our experience (locally, in our hometown) has been that Lyft is better for scooter/chair transport, however I have friends in other cities who swear by Uber.

Are you planning on going to the Wizarding World at both Universal Studios (London) and Islands of Adventure (Hogsmead) or just one?

Hogsmead is MUCH tighter and some of the shops are difficult to manouver in even on foot. The 'streets' are very tight also - which makes it look like the movie, but also makes it harder yo get around, especially with crowds.

The London area shops are still kind of tight, but there is a lot more open space outside, which makes things easier. The Knockturn Alley area of Diagon Alley is a bit more challenging - it's more twisty and dimly lit. It's really cool, but can be more of a challenge to get around.

Also important to be aware that many more of the Universal/IOA queues are not ECV accessible than at WDW. This is a link to their Rider's Guide, which should be helpful to you.
https://www.universalorlando.com/Images/Riders_Guide_tcm13-26195.pdf

Good luck to you with the new doctor. My son-in-law has MS. He is part of a study on oral drugs for MS and doing very well (he started before it was released). There are a lot more treatments and better treatments for MS than there were even 8 years ago, so hopefully, you will find one that works well for you.

Are you planning on going to the Wizarding World at both Universal Studios (London) and Islands of Adventure (Hogsmead) or just one?

Hogsmead is MUCH tighter and some of the shops are difficult to manouver in even on foot. The 'streets' are very tight also - which makes it look like the movie, but also makes it harder yo get around, especially with crowds.

The London area shops are still kind of tight, but there is a lot more open space outside, which makes things easier. The Knockturn Alley area of Diagon Alley is a bit more challenging - it's more twisty and dimly lit. It's really cool, but can be more of a challenge to get around.

Also important to be aware that many more of the Universal/IOA queues are not ECV accessible than at WDW. This is a link to their Rider's Guide, which should be helpful to you.
https://www.universalorlando.com/Images/Riders_Guide_tcm13-26195.pdf

Good luck to you with the new doctor. My son-in-law has MS. He is part of a study on oral drugs for MS and doing very well (he started before it was released). There are a lot more treatments and better treatments for MS than there were even 8 years ago, so hopefully, you will find one that works well for you.

I did both WWoHP and Diagon Alley with the scooter. You'll probably have to leave it outside the shops and walk in, but that wouldn't be a problem. When we rode Gringotts, I had to go and park it in a 'wheelchair' spot which was out of the way and I did that and walked back with my stick. The big mistake I made was trying to negotiate into the locker area! There isn't room to swing a cat in there!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter