Can anyone who brings their own scooter please talk me through?

I've heard that this only applies to US travellers. I've been told UK visitors have to bring their luggage to the bus themselves.

From this page at the WDW website, I found links to these FAQs specifically related to international travelers:

°o° Q. Is Disney’s Magical Express available to international travelers?

A. Yes. Disney's Magical Express is available to Guests staying at select Disney Resort hotels, whether they are international or domestic travelers.
Disney’s Magical Express is a complimentary roundtrip service that whisks you and your luggage between Orlando International Airport and your Walt Disney World Resort hotel via a deluxe motor coach.

°o° Q. I’m an international Guest with a Disney's Magical Express reservation, but I did not receive information about the service prior to arrival. What should I do when I arrive at Orlando International Airport?

A. Proceed to Disney's Magical Express in the Main Terminal Building - Terminal B, Level 1. Take the train from your aircraft gate and you will arrive on Level 3 of the Main Terminal Building. Proceed to Terminal B and take the elevator or escalator down to Level 1. We will provide you with additional information upon check-in at Disney's Magical Express.
If you have MagicBands, please be sure not to pack them in your checked luggage, as they will be used to check in with Disney’s Magical Express and to unlock your room when you arrive at your Disney Resort hotel. MagicBand orders cannot be shipped to all countries.

°o° Q. As an international traveler, do I have to claim my luggage at the airport to use Disney's Magical Express?

A. Yes, If the Orlando International Airport is your first point of entry into the United States, please follow the U.S. Customs & Border Protection process and claim your luggage upon disembarking the airplane.
Once you have completed this process you may return your luggage to the luggage carousel and proceed to Disney's Magical Express in Terminal B, Level 1. Please be prepared to provide us with your airline baggage claim numbers. Luggage delivery may take up to 3 hours after you arrive at your resort to be delivered to your room. For international Guests arriving after 10:00 PM, please bring your luggage with you when you leave the international arrival gate or pick it up in the baggage claim area on Level 2 when you arrive at the main terminal building, and then proceed to Disney's Magical Express. Your luggage will accompany you on the motorcoach.
If you have already completed the U.S. Customs & Border Protection process by entry into the United States through another United States city and would like to use our luggage delivery service, proceed directly to Disney's Magical Express in Terminal B, Level 1 and be prepared to provide us with your airline baggage claim numbers. For airport arrivals after 10:00 PM, claim your luggage and bring it with you to Disney’s Magical Express. Your luggage will accompany you on the motorcoach.

@Toffeewoffy -

And, just to clear up a bit of confusion I saw above - if you can't do steps, and you need to use the lift to enter the DME bus, you will have to ride on your ECV. You are not allowed to stand on the lift to ride up and down. The drivers are skilled at getting you and your device on and off the bus - the last thing they want is for you to start (or end) your vacation with a "thrill ride"! Listen carefully to their instructions, and it will be fine! 🙂
I am going back and forth on bringing my own scooter from California to WDW. I'm fine riding the lift on DME if I do, but my other concern is if I DON'T bring the scooter and can't use the lift without one, how easy are the stairs up and down? I am really short and have a replaced hip that dislocated once, so am very careful about not taking huge steps up or down. My recollection from pre-hip replacement days is that those steps are pretty high?

I am going back and forth on bringing my own scooter from California to WDW. I'm fine riding the lift on DME if I do, but my other concern is if I DON'T bring the scooter and can't use the lift without one, how easy are the stairs up and down? I am really short and have a replaced hip that dislocated once, so am very careful about not taking huge steps up or down. My recollection from pre-hip replacement days is that those steps are pretty high?

Yeah... they are pretty steep.

Having said that, I do know that - in the past - some DME buses had a wheelchair underneath that you could sit in to ride the lift. I wouldn't want to count on that without contacting them first, however.

You could also just call them and ask - what if I can't do the steps on the bus? How does DME handle that? They may have some alternative that we just aren't aware of.

Yeah... they are pretty steep.

Having said that, I do know that - in the past - some DME buses had a wheelchair underneath that you could sit in to ride the lift. I wouldn't want to count on that without contacting them first, however.

You could also just call them and ask - what if I can't do the steps on the bus? How does DME handle that? They may have some alternative that we just aren't aware of.
good idea--I'll do that.

Just a thought on bringing your own scooter. Someone pointed out that you might want to rent and leave yours at home. Why? Because if your own scooter breaks down in the park, you’re on your own. With a rental, just call the rental company and they’ll bring you a new one.

Just a thought on bringing your own scooter. Someone pointed out that you might want to rent and leave yours at home. Why? Because if your own scooter breaks down in the park, you’re on your own. With a rental, just call the rental company and they’ll bring you a new one.

Definitely something I've thought about more than once! I actually collected my scooter today (it's in the back of my car with the battery and charger indoors by our hallway socket ready to plug in when needed). It's only little, and the user manual actually tells you not to drive up steeper slopes or drive at an angle on a slope. Bearing in mind a big scooter has a lot of stability in the base due to the sheer weight and the big battery packs, that makes them stable for most surfaces/situations. My dinky little scooter could well tip on more than 10% slope. I am uploading my photos from my phone now and will post a pic of my new 'toy' later.

Here you go. Cute, isn't it?! We're talking about how to personalise it, anyway.

View attachment 437674

It's very cute! LOL Although... my Angus still probably still has you beat in the "tiny" category! He weighs in at 35 pounds (15.87 kg) and can fold/disassemble down to fit into a golf-bag sized duffel bag.

That's Max, his "older" brother (who is a first-gen style with a belt drive; Angus has a direct drive hub motor) and the travel bag he fits into for storage or shipment.

Max is named for the Palace horse in tangled, who is trusty and true, and always there when you need him!

Angus is named for Princess Merida's horse; he always brings me home safe and sound from our adventures!

I have put an LED lighting strip (that operate off of a standard USB lipstick battery bank, like a FuelRod) under both for night lighting, as well as LED bike lights for headlight and taillight. I also found a cupholder that clamps on so tightly that I have to have my hubby put it on and take it off! Oh, and a new "ding-y bell" because horns are *so* passe' LOL. I used Velcro OneWrap to put the LED lights underneath because I didn't want to have the sticky adhesive under there. That's the majority of the "aftermarket upgrades" that I have that can be applied to other styles of mobility devices.

Yay for your new travel buddy! I hope you have many wonderful adventures together!

Spill! No pun intended (okay, maybe a little one:)). I need cupholder I can trust!

OK - here's ALL the tea, no sugar! 😉 First and foremost - it holds Resort mugs beautifully. There are slots for the handles, and I can (and have) kept my mug there all day full of ice water, and it never tries to bounce out.

That cupholder (<--- there it is again!🙃) is a *real* beast when it comes to clamping power! Seriously, no fooling. Not only is the hubs often not with me when I need to either remove it, or put it back on, but I noticed pretty quickly that I was never going to need that bottom section, so I asked the hubs to modify mine...

And now, this is what it looks like after he performed "surgery" on it in the garage:

Bottom view:

New! Only half the clamps, but all the cupholding you know you want!

Top down view:

And, finally, as it is installed:

It works *so* much better for my needs - before if I wanted to clamp it on below my seat (about where my hand falls naturally to my side) I couldn't because it was so long that it wouldn't fit on that section of the seat support. I had to clamp it on the front steering column, which was OK, but it was either in the way of the bus drivers when they were tying down the beast, or if I swiveled it to be on the "inside" of the steering column, it was in *my* way when I needed to turn (because that portion of the entire column swivels when turning).

So, now I can put it where I want it, and I am a happy rabbit. 🙂

But - if you won't need to move it/remove it very often, it works amazingly well as is, with no modifications needed and it boy howdy, it *will* stay put!

One last note about this cupholder - apparently it can somehow function as a cane/crutch holder if you unscrew the bottom cover. Never tried it, because my folding cane rides all folded up, down in my little red fabric cargo basket, but the manufacturer seems to think it will work! LOL

It's very cute! LOL Although... my Angus still probably still has you beat in the "tiny" category! He weighs in at 35 pounds (15.87 kg) and can fold/disassemble down to fit into a golf-bag sized duffel bag.

View attachment 437859

That's Max, his "older" brother (who is a first-gen style with a belt drive; Angus has a direct drive hub motor) and the travel bag he fits into for storage or shipment.

Max is named for the Palace horse in tangled, who is trusty and true, and always there when you need him!

Angus is named for Princess Merida's horse; he always brings me home safe and sound from our adventures!

I have put an LED lighting strip (that operate off of a standard USB lipstick battery bank, like a FuelRod) under both for night lighting, as well as LED bike lights for headlight and taillight. I also found a cupholder that clamps on so tightly that I have to have my hubby put it on and take it off! Oh, and a new "ding-y bell" because horns are *so* passe' LOL. I used Velcro OneWrap to put the LED lights underneath because I didn't want to have the sticky adhesive under there. That's the majority of the "aftermarket upgrades" that I have that can be applied to other styles of mobility devices.

Yay for your new travel buddy! I hope you have many wonderful adventures together!

Cute! But I'm too heavy for your Angus! Also, that seat looks extremely uncomfortable.

Cute! But I'm too heavy for your Angus! Also, that seat looks extremely uncomfortable.

Elizabeth used her TS daily. I never met her personally, but we corresponded a bit before she passed away, and she was very open about the fact that she exceeded their suggested weight limit. The biggest impact from exceeding the suggested limit is to power and battery life - it does mean going a bit slower up steeper ramps, and it means a small hit to (overall) battery life, but Elizabeth just "Fred Flinstoned" when she was going up a ramp, and double-stacked her batteries and went on!

Although I'm still considered a "3L" (large, lovely lady) I have been losing weight this year, and it has made a noticeable difference in my battery life, and my ability to go up ramps; for example, there is a ramp that is quite steep at our favorite movie theatre, and this time last year, my top speed going up that ramp would be generously described as "crawling". Last night, I sailed right up without stopping. (with a BIG smile on my face, too!)

For short trips, or times when I'm doing a lot of transfers, the factory-supplied seat is fine.

But... I just recently swapped over a boat seat (like you would buy at a sporting goods store for your personal boat) that has lots of delightful padding - and while I am currently using it without the included back (to help keep my core strong) eventually I will have to put the back on. Because it's made to be around water, I don't have to worry (as much) if it gets caught in the inevitable Florida afternoon downpour! The other great thing about boat seats (in the US) is that they all use the same bolt pattern - so once I had my seat base modified to use a boat seat, I can now mount any type of seat I want very easily and quickly, with only 4 heavy-duty Marine grade bolts between me and an "upgrade" 🙂

Some of the folks I know who have a Travelscoot actually take their seats to an auto upholstery shop, and get them rebuilt with more comfortable foam, typically including a gel cushion layer, and then either covered in auto upholstery fabric, or sometimes the same kind of fabric used for outdoor furniture and cushions.

I still have the original seat, in case I ever sell it, and need to return it to "factory" 🙂 It's not likely though... I have a couple of family members who have already called "dibs" on Angus the moment I move on to my next device (which will most likely be a Fold and Go like @RaySharpton and @Groot have.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter