Can anyone help me get info on towns right outside of Olando? Oviedo, Lake Mary, Winter Springs?

disprincess2213

DIS Veteran
Hello friends! Please forgive me if this post isn't allowed or if its in the wrong forum but I don't know where else to post!! We are looking to move to Florida and be close to Disney but not in Orlando. We would love to be in Seminole county but didn't want to post on the "moving to the magic" page since that was primarily Orlando and Orange County. We would love to get some local input on Lake Mary, Oviedo, and Winter Springs- between these 3, which is most desirable and what makes each special over the other? They are beautiful areas but we would love to know what makes each special. Thank you for anyone that could give input or provide information for us (or even tell us another place to look for answers!) Thank you all!

Citydata.com has (or had last time I used it a few years ago), great data on towns. Also has forums where you can ask questions.

Citydata.com has (or had last time I used it a few years ago), great data on towns. Also has forums where you can ask questions.
City Data is a great forum for relocation. So much valuable information;::yes:: people are very helpful. I have been using it for our future relocation.:goodvibes

Hello friends! Please forgive me if this post isn't allowed or if its in the wrong forum but I don't know where else to post!! We are looking to move to Florida and be close to Disney but not in Orlando. We would love to be in Seminole county but didn't want to post on the "moving to the magic" page since that was primarily Orlando and Orange County. We would love to get some local input on Lake Mary, Oviedo, and Winter Springs- between these 3, which is most desirable and what makes each special over the other? They are beautiful areas but we would love to know what makes each special. Thank you for anyone that could give input or provide information for us (or even tell us another place to look for answers!) Thank you all!
I have read that Lake Mary HS is an highly rated school. So tragic, the HS had a recent 17 year old female, take her own life in the school gym, 2 days ago.:rose: Apparently, she had a history of emotional/mental issues, but the school community is in mourning. She had been receiving counseling at the school. My heart broke when I read this tragic story. It is very disturbing to comprehend that she carried a handgun into school. Most high schools, except those in urban settings, do not have metal detectors. The question is, should they? Our DIL works as a guidance counselor in a public school and I do worry about school safety. What has been learned since Parkland? Throughout our country, not enough is being done for mental illness! Very very sad for this family and community.:sad1:

I am very familiar with the 3 areas. All have some very nice area and each have very bad areas. But that’s typical of central Florida. None of the areas is more special than the other infact you’ll not notice a difference driving between the 3. What you will notice is grid lock traffic during rush hours and lunch hour and during school times.

I am not a fan of Oviedo. It's an older area. It just looks rundown to me. I've not spent a lot of time there, but do know people who live in the area.

Both Lake Mary and Winter Springs are nice. Of the two, I prefer Winter Springs. It is an up and coming area. Very pretty. I attend the Central Florida Scottish Games in Winter Springs each January. Fun!

None of the areas you mentioned are close to the parks. You can expect a good 45 minute drive to the parks from any of these places. Please realize that most of the highways are toll roads.

Friends relocated to the area about six years ago. They chose Lake Mary primarily because of the schools. From what I've seen, it's a very nice town, but the traffic can be horrendous.

I'm not going to comment on the quality of the towns, as I'm not qualified to do that, but I will comment on the issue of traffic. The Orlando area's geology set it up for having traffic issues once the population started to grow. The presence of all those small lakes and retention ponds needed to keep the water table down means that there just isn't room for a lot of roads, and that the paths that roads need to take are often not optimal for good traffic flow. What that means is that when looking for a place to live in such a city, proximity to (and route options to) your workplace is a more important factor than it might be elsewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter