Can a child use an ECV?

3kids4me

<font color=magenta>Besotted Pin Lover<br><font co
Hi everyone,

We're going back to Disney in November :)

Last time we were there, we rented a larger-sized stroller for my daughter, who is eight. We also happen to have a three year old who we used our own stroller for. So, each of us was pushing a stroller. In addition, we have a ten year old son who did get awfully tired walking around, and even though he knows his sister is sick, sometimes he could use a rest!!

Anyway, I've been reading about this whole ECV thing, and I was wondering if an eight year old is allowed to use one. That way, my three year old won't always be clamoring to go in her big sister's stroller, and maybe we can even give my son a rest once in a while or let him use it around Epcot with me or my husband while my daughters and the other adult take a break and sit for awhile someone. Last time we went, my son and I walked around the whole of Epcot by ourselves and it was a lot for him. Since he weighs 120 pounds, any type of stroller is not an option for him. He is completely healthy, but it's a long walk for any kid I guess! (I heard they were previewing some type of riding scooter that would actually be perfect for him, but I guess that's a ways off.)

Would this be a bad idea? Is it even possible? My daughter does not want to use a wheelchair; do you think she would consider an ECV more of a ride thing and not as "handicapped looking"? The only downside I can see is that there is no sun shade, and she does need to be kept cool.

I think I'm rambling here, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

No your daughter would not be able to use a rental ECV. Sorry but you must 18 to use a rental ECV from Disney or the outside providers.
Now if she had her own that would be another story. It would be treated as a personal mobility device and they could not refuse her the use of it.

All About Kids rents children's wheelchairs and strollers, but they don't mention the Major Buggy or Convaid. It would be worth asking them if they do have them. You might just want to go with the wheelchair.

2 years ago, I was looking for a large double or a sit 'n' stand that would accomodate 2 big kids... never found one.

Just agreeing with Lisa that the parks or the outside rental places won't rent an ecv to be used by someone under 18.
If a child has their own ecv or power wheelchair, they would have practiced with it in other, safer places to learn how to control it before going out in situations where it is more difficult to drive. Sort of how beginning car drivers don't hit the freeway the first time they go out driving. It's hard enough for many adults to drive an ecv at WDW (even if they drive a car). I think it would be even harder for a child because they are more excited and don't have the same experience and judgment an adult would have.

I have read that All About Kids rent special needs (large size strollers).
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
and
Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

are full service medical equipment stores. I found once on their website that they rent children's wheelchairs and special needs strollers. I couldn't find the spot last time I looked, but it's worth contacting them too.

The strollers are usually a little easier to fold and less bulky than a child's wheelchair. A child's wheelchair is usually a little easier to push because it has bigger wheels. If your DD is physically able, she would be able to drive the wheelchair for short distances, which might make her feel more in control and not just a passenger.

Hi Sharon! Glad to see you over here! As was mentioned no one under 18 can rent an ECV. Also, a person over 18 is not allowed to have a child ride with them. You might get away with it for a few minutes, but a CM will catch you & remind you that you signed a paper stating you are the only one who can drive & ride on the ECV.

I agree that you might want to call some of the medical equipment companies in the Orlando area. Many have toll-free numbers. Explain to them what your cirucmstances are - maybe they will have an idea. It's worth a try. Just do not give up hope!!

At the Care Medical site click on "and other things" at the bottom of the list at the right.

I rent ECV's offsite to make sure I am guaranteed one always and so that my child can hop on my lap for a quick ride and the CM's can't say a thing. Of course, you need to know the weight limit of the ECV first. The rates are no more than Disney's, and the ECV's had nicer seats than at the parks.

If you read CareMed's contact it prohibits you from carrying riders so if you choose to do so it is at your own risk. Plus the parent doesn't need and ECV, the child does and is too young for one. Besides safety issues it would be an abuse of the system for the parent to be using an ECV.
There are children's wheelchairs that can be rented. There are also special strollers made for kids of this size. McLaren comes immediately to mind which might be rented.
As was said before if the child needs a scooter fulltime and has his own then there is nothing Disney or anyone else can do to prohibit the child from using it. There are ECVs made for children. An adult ECV would be too large for a child in most cases.

Thanks everyone,

I don't want or need to ride an ECV, and doing so just to put Rachel in front of me, even if it were acceptable which it's not, would only cause problems with my three year old, who doesn't really understand yet why Rachel can't walk too much!

I think we'll continue to stick with the big stroller idea, which you can rent at Disney also.

Thanks again!

Glad you got your answers, 3kids4me and thank, Lisa for the info about the CareMed contract.

I wanted to add that I have seen WDW CMs talk to people with children riding on their lap on an ecv even if it was not rented from the parks. It is a hazard, not a concern about the weight limit of the ecv.
I have seen adult lose control of the ecv because the child on their lap moved and got in their way or reached up and blocked their vision. That put the child and anyone near the ecv in danger of injury.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter