Can’t miss attractions for 8 yo boy and 5 yo girl?

Tbird13

Earning My Ears
We’re headed to all 4 DW parks (1 park per day) the week leading up to Easter. FWIW, we’re starting off the week at Universal. My son-8 loves Star Wars, history and thrill rides.
My daughter-5 loves Minnie, Ariel and also likes the thrill rides. What are your can’t miss attractions for kids their age and interests? Jedi Training is already on the list.

If your son likes history definitely check out Hall of Presidents and Muppets Present Great Moments in History and Journey of the Little Mermaid ride (all in MK). The first two are shows and while the Muppets add in a bit of levity they still get the important point across. Star Tours in HS and I believe there is also a Little Mermaid stage show. I don't have kids yet so I'll leave thrill rides to those with children around those ages!

My daughter is 5 and her favorite rides are Rock n Roller coaster and Tower of Terror. Have a great trip!!

As for thrill rides (always check for height restrictions): Flight of Passage in AK (and Expedition Everest in AK as well, if they are tall enough), Star Tours in HS (and Tower of Terror if they like straight drops, and Rock'n'Roller coaster, again if they are tall enough), The 3 Mountains in MK (Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Splash) and Seven Dwarfs Mine train, and Test Track and Soarin in EPCOT.

For your son, Hollywood Studios is where he'll get a Star Wars fix, and as for history I'd recommend American Adventure in EPCOT, and Hall of Presidents in MK. For your daughter, a character meet with Minnie, and perhaps Ariel, Under the Sea in MK, and the Little Mermaid stage show in HS.

I would just add that all thrill rides aren't created equal at their age. I'd make a list of all the real coasters they like, all the simulators, and anything else considered a thrill ride to your family and then figure out which they really like and are not scared of. Just as an example, some in my family like coasters, but some don't like if they go backward (so EE is out), some don't like it if they go upside down (so RnR is out), etc... and match up from there.

As a side note, my nieces love FoP at Ak, and that is our ulitmate can't miss now.

For history, definitely Spaceship Earth. He might also find living with the land interesting. Both of these are in EPCOT.

My 8 yo son would ride TSM and the Buzz Lightyear ride all day if you let him (although now that he's been to Disneyland he doesn't like that the WDW Buzz Lightyear has fixed laser shooters). Also loves BTMRR and anything Star Wars, although doesn't think Star Tours is as fun a ride as BTMRR. Definitely loves Jedi Training. He rode ToT when he was 5 and has not wanted to try it again. The big question is whether he's going to try Expedition Everest this year. We haven't tried FOP yet.

For what its worth, we were just there and I thought FoP wasn't great for younger kids. My DD was big enough (she is 6) but the 3D goggles wouldn't stay on her head.... so I was stuck trying to hold them on to her head for the entire ride. It was really distracting for me so I will probably hold off a few years before I try it again with kiddo.

Also, I think my husband and daughter were pretty freaked out by it. Both are kind of uneasy about heights.

just wanted to give a shout out to the American Experience & Spaceship Earth in Epcot and the Carousel of Progress in MK if your son likes history!

My 6 year old daughter's favorite rides are Haunted Mansion and Toy Story Midway Mania. So those are probably worth hitting up with your daughter. There is a Little Mermaid ride in MK. I find it pretty mediocre but my daughter really likes it too.

For what its worth, we were just there and I thought FoP wasn't great for younger kids. My DD was big enough (she is 6) but the 3D goggles wouldn't stay on her head.... so I was stuck trying to hold them on to her head for the entire ride. It was really distracting for me so I will probably hold off a few years before I try it again with kiddo.

Also, I think my husband and daughter were pretty freaked out by it. Both are kind of uneasy about heights.

just wanted to give a shout out to the American Experience & Spaceship Earth in Epcot and the Carousel of Progress in MK if your son likes history!

My 6 year old daughter's favorite rides are Haunted Mansion and Toy Story Midway Mania. So those are probably worth hitting up with your daughter. There is a Little Mermaid ride in MK. I find it pretty mediocre but my daughter really likes it too.

Some parents have recommended a headband to hold the FOP goggles on.

Some parents have recommended a headband to hold the FOP goggles on.
I could see that working if your kid wears the more substantial headbands oreven the elastic type bands (like 80s workout gear). The 3D goggles (?)are a lot heavier and more substantial than what you find on toy story or Star Wars.

At DHS:
For the 8 year old: Star Tours, Meet Chewbacca & Kylo Ren at the Launch Bay, March of the First Order Show with Captain Phasma, Toy Story Mania, Rock n/Roller Coaster, Indiana Jones Show
For the 5 year old: Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, Rock n'Roller Coaster if she's really tall!, Ariel show is fairly lame here, but see it anyway if she loves Ariel

At MK:
8 year old: Hall of Presidents, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Buzz Lightyear
5 year old: Journey of the Little Mermaid, Meet Ariel with her tail, Meet Minnie & Daisy in Circus costumes, Mine Train, Space, Thunder & Splash if she's tall enough, Buzz Lightyear

At Epcot:
8 year old: Soarin', Test Track, Spaceship Earth, each of the countries for the history, Mission Space
5 year old: Soarin', Test Track

At DAK:
8 year old: Everest, Safari Ride, Festival of the Lion King Show (best show at Disney IMHO), Kali River Rapids
5 year old: Everest if tall enough, seeing the gorillas (my daughter loves them!), Safari Ride, Meet Minnie & Mickey in safari costumes, Lion King Show, Kali River Rapids

Stalking since my kids are just a year older than yours and I need to know these things for June. LOL

I got my five year old (at the time) onto splash mountain and from then on its her hands down favorite ride.!!!

We just planned a last minute short trip for in a few weeks so I had to ask my kiddos their must do's since we can't do it all this time and fast passes are limited, etc. My 5 yo daughter and 7 yo son both said 7 Dwarfs. My 5yo daughter said Bibbidy of course. My son also loves Test Trek at Epcot, then Thunder Mountain Railroad and Splash Mountain at MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!