Camping w/4 kids 8 and under HELP!!!

Tinkerbells2000

Disney Mom of 4
Okay, we are doind something that we swore we would never do again... We are camping at Disney.. We camped there before when my youngest was 3 months old, and it was not a very fun experience. But now that all the kids are 3 years older, I'm hoping that it will be a little easier. We are going the last week of Sept. I have 3 girls ages 8,6,and 2 , she will have just turned 3 when we go., and one boy who will be 5 the week after we get back. .. So, my question is, how do you make this camping thing easy, and relaxing, and what should we take. We have camped other places, but usually we are just doing that, camping, and nothing else really. For the 1st time in 8 years, we will not need to fill our car with diapers, formula and baby food, so we will have room for other stuff. We are bringing our pop-up, staying 6 nights. We will be checking in on a Sun., but not going to the parks that day. We figured by the time we got the camper set up, there would not be a lot of time for the parks, and that would waste a day on our hopper. What is there to do that 1st day?? More than likely dinner that night will be at Chef Mickey's . That is pretty much our family tradition, we always start our 1st real Disney meal there... When we were at Ft. Wilderness last time, we did not get to enjoy it. We were with other people who were staying in Hotel's, and always had a certain time that we had to meet people. We found ourselves always late, and rushing around. And to top it all off, it rained every day all day. It was the week from you know where. My oldest was only 5, and like I said, the youngest was only 3 months... Anyway...Any heplful hints to make this a fun time even though we are camping, would be great!! Thanks. :wave:

We camp at FW every year. We have three boys (11, 8 and 3). To be honest, I wouldn't go to Disney any other way! The freedom at FW is incredible!!! Make sure you bring the kid's bikes and/or scooters. the can ride around the loop and explore.

In order to make getting out each morning easier, after the kids go to sleep at night, I take out their clothes for the next day and load the stroller with anything we'll need for the parks. In the morning DH and I get up early and take showers before the kids wake up. That way, one of us can be getting breakfast while the other is helping the kids get ready.

Just relax and stay organized (as hard as that sounds). We always take that first day to set up the popup and organize our things. The kids have a great time playing in the loop (especially after being cooped up in the car for 22 hours).

The campfire program is fun. And there are playgrounds around the campground for the kids (We especially like the playground by Crockett's Tavern ;) ).

Anyway, have a great time and post any other questions you might have.

I'm actually getting more excited about this the more I think this through. I tent camped there before I was married and had kids, and loved it. But like I said, last time I went was a horrible experience, and the 1st time that my DH had ever camped there. I think not going to the parks the 1st day is going to be the key. When we checked in before, we had less than an hour to set up, and be in Epcot to meet everyone... Needless to say, we never got everything fully set up, and we had no idea where most things were during the whole trip. Another plus is, I won't have to worry quite so much about the kids just wondering off and getting lost. They were all at the age before, where if they did wonder off, I wasn't sure they would be able to find their way back.

The thing that I really want is for this vacation to be semi relaxing. DH and I have both sworn off inviting people to go with. It's fun being there with other family members, but then we always have times where we have to meet them. With 4 kids, it's not always easy to plan certain times. They at times seem to have their own schedule. Thanks for the advice, and anyone else with more out there, feel free to post.... I can never have too many "helpful tips". Only 210 days until we leave, but who's counting???? :pinkbounc

I would highly recommend packing a complete outfit for each day in a ziplog bag. Then each morning all you need to do is hand each child a bag and they will have everything they need to get ready including socks & underwear. I did this with my children when we went to Disney and it sure helped. No one was searching for anything. Another recommendation would be to buy one of those expandable hampers from Walmart. They fold down really small and yet hold so much once they are set up. I got mine for around $8 and it was a great investment. Once the hamper is full you can either take it to the laundry facilities and wash or put the clothes out of the way until you are ready to leave. Either way, your not constantly pushing dirty clothes out of the way.

Perhaps your family could cactch a movie at the campground that night after dinner or watch fireworks without actually going into a park to do that. Another idea would be to just relax before all the action starts. Whatever you do - have a great time.

Here's some things that worked for us when our kids were younger. When we first arrived my husband would start setting up the trailer. I would take the kids out for a walk. It was tough for me because I wanted to get set up and organized. However we learned things went alot smoother when I took the kids away for abit. I would suggest walking around your loop to check things out. Also, if you're close to a store buy a little something special like a snack that will keep them busy. You could sit out and watch people as you have your snack. Or you could pack a special snack from home to have when you arrive to save money. You could take a blanket and have a little picnic somewhere in a grassy area. We would buy special groceries for weeks before our trip. The kids got so excited looking in the 'treasure box' as all the things started adding up. They couldn't have anything out of the box until our trip. We would buy lots of individually wrapped things like granola bars, fruit roll ups etc. It was so much fun for them to be able to choose something out of the box when we got there. The playground is a great place to hit when you first get there too. Great way for the kids to burn off energy and a time for you to think things through on what your plans are going to be. Another thing may be to buy each child a little 'keep them busy' toy for when you arrive. Something new that they have not see or played with before. Say a new dinky car or little toy dump truck or a shovel and bucket. This would keep them busy at the campsite as things are getting set up. I would stay with the kids tho and give them attention as if they see you're busy and in the middle of something they may seek your atttention. Or if you have a crafty kid maybe a little activity like that to keep them busy at the picnic table. Say a colouring book and crayons. We always had our kids journal when we went away. We always went the last week in February which meant taking them out of school. This way they would write stories of the trip, what we'd done or draw pictures if they're nonreaders. Then I'd write down what they told me they had just drawn a picture of. (These are very special keepsakes!) I would let them know too that.."we'll go swimming'' ...or 'whatever'..when things are set up. This would give them an idea of the plan and they would know what to expect and know that if things ran smoothly we would be doing the next 'activity' sooner. Good luck! Have fun! There's so many wonderful things to do I'm sure you're gonna love it!

I really like the idea of the ziplock bags of clothes. I did this for the 1st time the last time we were there, and it worked out great. I also like the walk idea, but I don't know if DH will go for that. We'll actually probably all end up going for a walk, DH included. :D

We will be bringing snacks and drinks from home, so we will be all set with that. We also always have coloring books and crayons packed in the camper. Thanks again for all the helpful advice... PLEASE keep them coming.... Like I said, I can never have too many. Jana

I have been doing the "ziplock bag thing"since my kids were two and four. It works great and if we are going for 5 days I pack 5 outfits etc. I even do kind of the same thing for DH so that I am not hassled while trying to get ready myself, except his only have socks and underware and then since he is a big boy let him choose shirts and pants. It is also amazing how well you can pack - we are pop-uppers so each of my kids gets an area where their clothes are and since the ziplock bags are clear they can make the choice of what outfit on what day. Gee and I thought I had invented it! You will be glad you did and then that is just one less thing to worry about. Also it helps when you have some idea of when you will be eating in or out so that you can get groceries before entering the park. I have heard that it is quiet expensive to buy at the trading post. For me it is probably easier to just pay the extra then to go to the grocery store - but we will see when we go in November

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter