Camping in Conneticut

Lhaller

Earning My Ears
we will be traveling from the Washington DC area to Maine in late September. We want to avoid the chaos of the NYC/CT route, so are looking for recommendations for the route AND where to camp for the night. We won't be leaving until mid-late morning so somewhere along I-84 seems reasonable.

Welcome, Lhaller. If you don't get help here I will move your post to the main camping board for more views.

There are lots of nice places to stop along 84 in CT. An alternative to 84 while skipping NYC would be to take 287 north into CT. You'd cross the Tappanzee Bridge instead of the GWB, and it's a beautiful ride. This may not help you if you're out of the way. Very convenient if traveling on 80 east through NJ. Safe travels!!

Mmmm...I don’t ever camp “just off 84”, so I am not sure about it, but not TOO far off of 84 (4-5 miles driving I would say) in Bristol, CT there is Bear Creek campground (between Waterbury and Hartford). It is associated with Lake Compounce amusement park. Has been there for 3 or 4 years maybe. Never stayed, and don’t know much about it except that I think it is all pull throughs. Not sure if it is full hook ups or just w/e with dump out station. I have caught glimpses of it when going to the amusement park. Mainly there to get people to come and stay to go to park, but may work as a stop over for the night. Google Bear Creek Campground Bristol and you’ll get to the website. Safe travels!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter