campground theft and mischief

MudQueen22

DIS Veteran
I've read a few threads on here about bicycles being stolen at the fort.

Although we are new campers, we haven't had any issues with theft or someone bothering our things. (And friends and family that have camped awhile say that they have never had anything stolen or bothered, except for wildlife getting into food if you don't secure it well.)

We use an extend-A-line ladder rack on the back of our camper to dry towels, swim suits, or dry-fit shirts if we need to wash. Normally, I save all laundry for when we get home, but we will be away from home on our Disney trip that waiting to wash won't be doable--we just don't have that many clothes.

Will we be taking a big risk by hanging some clothes (mainly shirts) on our extend-A-line to dry? We don't dry the dry-fit shirts in the dryer, and there is no place to hang them in the camper.

Again, we normally just hang towels to dry between uses, and we sink wash swim suits and dry those. But the length of our trip next year will require laundry at some point just after the half-way mark.

We hang our pool towels from our ez-up and never had an issue. We also leave other things out on the picnic table, nothing expensive but could easily be replaced if it did come up missing. We also tent camp at the Fort and never had an issue, except when a raccoon got into one of our coolers and stole our left over chicken from TE.

We spend a lot of time, a lot of time, at the Fort and leave a lot of stuff around. We have never had anything taken. That doesn't mean you should leave a $300 bike available or anything like that, but no one's going to take your laundry!

Ditto here on nothing ever taken. I used to be a long distance cyclist and have taken my road bike($4,000ish) to the Fort. I would lock it up at night, but never any issues. Not even the $120 helmet, gloves and HR monitor stuffed in the helmet when I'd go to the pool.

j

Thanks so much. And PaHunter, thank you for the reminder about the rain. I guess I'll need to make sure I'm at least at the campground while shirts hang dry.

Even if it doesn't get the second wash, often times the humidity is enough to keep towels from drying g completely (at least in one day)

Its hot or miss on that one though.

We’ve spent a lot of time at the Fort as well and never had anything taken despite my kids leaving their bikes, helmets, and scooters all over our site. The vast majority of people aren’t going to take anything. However, a couple of years ago, the people a few sites away had huge Christmas decorations including a 15’ Tall inflatable Rudolph. Wouldn’t you know someone took Rudolph one night?!??? All this to say, there’s always an idiot somewhere but the odds are in your favor.

Security is one of the reasons we recently changed the locks on our outside compartments, gone are the ch751 locks that everyone who owns a trailer has a key to.
20180720_181350_resized.jpg

Our compartments now all sport barrel locks, way more secure. At Disney we leave our chairs out, etc, as we do in other campgrounds. Of course our security system activates if you venture in to our campsite.

IMG_20180617_121150_347_resized.jpg

But most times the security system is in stand by mode, or sleeping.....

That is one good looking security system you have there Chris. Like yours ours spend a great deal of time in "STANDBY" mode, but let the Garbage Thieves or UPS truck come on our ready and they are sounding the alarm

My security systems are fairly ineffective, unless you want to be licked to death:) We have also never had anything taken and our grandsons leave their bikes and other stuff all over the site as others have said. If anyone is dumb enough to want our bathing suits, they can have them! I definitely wouldn't worry about the laundry.

My security system, from a distance, is usually enough. If the burglar is bold enough to venture closer they'll be smothered in shed fur.

Chris, I like the looks of the new locks and have debated doing the same the two front compartments on my trailer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts