Campground recommendations near Asheville, NC

garneska

DIS Veteran
I think we decided another vacation spot for 2021 will be Asheville. Neither of us have been there and they have a few things we like, good hiking, good food, and good craft beer. I have been scouting campground reviews, but thought I would see if anyone stayed someplace good.

right now top choice is probably Mama Gerties. It’s close to the highway and Asheville but also close to Mt Mitchell. Bert says it‘s an 18 mile hike with 5000 feet of gain. Sounds fun. Another we were looking at was Campfire Lodgings but the cancellation policy was not great. I am hoping 2021 is better with the virus and vaccines but I am not willing to throw money at vacations yet that I can’t get back.

Any thoughts?

My son and his wife stayed at Mama Gertie's in my teardrop and loved the campground. They were in a small site that backed up to a creek in the lower part of the campground. He said that he would have liked to had been in one of the sites at the top of the campground for the amazing views. He said that the larger rigs (class A, C and fifth wheels) had most of the upper sites and that there were decks that you could sit on and watch the sunrise and sunsets.

Jordan and Katie are big fans of Asheville. Their favorite place to eat in Asheville is a vegan restaurant called Plant. plant is food . Teresa and I ate there with them this past October. I am full on carnivore but have to admit that it was pretty good. The grilled beets were my favorite. When we were there, they were testing a new entrée called Chicken of the Woods. It was a sandwich made with a mushroom that had a texture and taste that was amazingly chicken like.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter