Campground Recommendation - Plan B if I Can't Get Fort Wilderness

Bill Tozzo

Big Bad VooDoo Daddy
Hi All!

I'm checking daily for Fort Wilderness at Christmas time, but I've only gotten 1 night so far.

Can anyone recommend a nearby campground?

I want to have something booked in case I can't put together a Fort Wilderness reservation.

I'm coming even if I have to drop my jacks in a WalMart parking lot for a week! LOL

Bill

I'm assuming the Walmart comment was a joke but just in case. Pretty sure all Walmarts around WDW and maybe the entire state don't allow overnight parking and In any Walmart 7 days is either overstaying your welcome or again not allowed. Most are a day or 2.

I was looking at Thousand Trails, but didn't know about LAke Magic. Thank you. Which do you like more?

I've stayed at Thousand Trails (recommended to me by 2goofycampers). It was only for an overnight before my arrival to Disney. The drive from there was not bad at all. Typically I come in on the Western Way and this kept me on my usual path. The sites are close together, but the place is well maintained, bath houses were very clean. Plenty of walking area and recreation available.

I was looking at Thousand Trails, but didn't know about LAke Magic. Thank you. Which do you like more?
If you're looking for closer to WDW, Lake Magic. If you're looking for a quieter area, Thousand Trails.
Both campgrounds have the same bare sites with a few palm trees. But Thousand Trails have a more private area with foliage and trees in the back by the lake.

If you're looking for closer to WDW, Lake Magic. If you're looking for a quieter area, Thousand Trails.
Both campgrounds have the same bare sites with a few palm trees. But Thousand Trails have a more private area with foliage and trees in the back by the lake.

That area in back is where we were at. That's where the pull through sites are located. Short walk to lake.

There are several nearby campgrounds in the area.

Our favorite is TT Orlando (which is a bit farther but we think it's nicer - not sure why) but we've been to Lake Magic many times as well. There's also Tropical Palms (more to do within walking distance and quite busy) and Sherwood Forest - neither are terrible but I don't like them as much. I find the nicest one might be Outdoor Resorts Orlando but it's typically more expensive after discounts at the other resorts and I don't think they have a pool and a hot tub (which we like having).

I think I might need to have a back up plan as well , we are planning a two week trip in May of 2021, and we discussed about not being able to get all of our days, looking into Plan B also hahaha...only bummer part is I really wanted the dining plan to make things easier on us.

Lake Louisa State Park is lovely, and not much further than Thousand Trails. When we can't get into LLSP we also like Moss Park, which is run by Orange County, but it's a bit longer of a drive.

Lake Louisa State Park is lovely, and not much further than Thousand Trails. When we can't get into LLSP we also like Moss Park, which is run by Orange County, but it's a bit longer of a drive.

Lake Louisa would be my first pick as well.

Has anyone tried Wekiwa Springs? We are considering that for the last day if we cant get a site at the fort.

Staying at lake Louisa on the way in based on the recommendations here.

KOA Kissimmee is pretty good, it's mid level in the KOA class system, Holiday tier. Pretty open and spaced maybe a hair better than most KOA, small but clean comfort station; best selling point is real nice pool, hot tub area tucked into the back corner of a fairly small CG that's open 23 hours a day. It's mostly pull through with patios but has some back ins that are a little cheaper, generally runs in the $55 -75 range depending on site and time of year. BTW, Lake Magic is Passport America but is only available Monday-Thursday at discounted with availability. Haven't stayed there but have done KOA, only grievance was spotty wifi and lousy cable but cell service is not a problem for pretty much any carrier.

Has anyone tried Wekiwa Springs? We are considering that for the last day if we cant get a site at the fort.

Staying at lake Louisa on the way in based on the recommendations here.

I've never been but I've heard it's nice. My biggest issue is that it's far from Disney (probably about 1 hour in regular traffic).

KOA Kissimmee is pretty good, it's mid level in the KOA class system, Holiday tier. Pretty open and spaced maybe a hair better than most KOA, small but clean comfort station; best selling point is real nice pool, hot tub area tucked into the back corner of a fairly small CG that's open 23 hours a day. It's mostly pull through with patios but has some back ins that are a little cheaper, generally runs in the $55 -75 range depending on site and time of year. BTW, Lake Magic is Passport America but is only available Monday-Thursday at discounted with availability. Haven't stayed there but have done KOA, only grievance was spotty wifi and lousy cable but cell service is not a problem for pretty much any carrier.

FWIW, we've used PassportAmerica at Lake Magic for a week but it was a couple of years ago. According to the PA website, you it is available weekends as well but they don't offer discounts during the winter (Nov-Mar) (https://passportamerica.com/campgrounds/data/1601/Lake-Magic-An-Encore-Resort/0#top) (... P.A. discount is not valid November through March. P.A. discount is valid for maximum 7-night stay. PA is not valid during holidays, holiday weekends, special events, and with any other discounts. ...)

I've never been but I've heard it's nice. My biggest issue is that it's far from Disney (probably about 1 hour in regular traffic).

Thanks. Given that I'd be moving the camper over there and heading back to the park, that rules that one out this time.

FWIW, we've used PassportAmerica at Lake Magic for a week but it was a couple of years ago. According to the PA website, you it is available weekends as well but they don't offer discounts during the winter (Nov-Mar) (https://passportamerica.com/campgrounds/data/1601/Lake-Magic-An-Encore-Resort/0#top) (... P.A. discount is not valid November through March. P.A. discount is valid for maximum 7-night stay. PA is not valid during holidays, holiday weekends, special events, and with any other discounts. ...)
Yes, I stand corrected, I was mixing it up with the rules for Tropical Palms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!