Camper's on the fritz- pitching a tent this time!

lodge

DIS Veteran
Ok, change in plans but do-able! We will be pitching a tent the end of this month, flying in with it and our stuff. Reservations are for premium site. Can we request a loop? No alternate means of transportation means rent a golf cart, bus it, or hoof it!

No real need for a cart unless you are impatient and/or lazy, like me. The internal buses do a great job or walking is good, depending on where you are. The Fort is big, about a mile from Outpost (checkin) and the Settlement (marina and boats to MK and beyond.)

Since you are tenting now, you may want to call and see if there is a tent/full or preferred site available. They all have the coquina (sand) pads for a tent where the Premiums are all asphalt. Add you can save a little money.

j

Just so it's been said, have you considered bouncing to a value resort? I LOVE the Fort, but a tent in August is simply not something I'd have much interest in. The cost difference may not be much more than $15 per night (assuming you are just a party of four or less). To each their own, and if tenting at the Fort is your preference (or you are a bigger group), go for it!! I simply wanted to highlight the other option as, at least in our case, it might be the way we'd be looking.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

If I was having to tent camp in August (Fort or not) I would be seeking out some portable AC unit.

If they can allow a caravan of people to gather within one single tent site in the 1500 loop (aka the kitchen site) and sing Karaoke until wee hours of the night with a 12 passenger van on one end and a Uhaul on another, SURELY they will allow Lodge and family to pop up a tent on a precious premium spot.

But then again........ya never know.

Lodge - I would not mention your camping adjustment until you are on the property.

I just returned this past weekend from a spur of the moment trip to Disney. I had planned to tent camp, but the thoughts of the heat caused me to rethink. I ended up booking POFQ through Price Express for right at ~$100/night. For that kind of deal, it was a no-brainer for me. It meant that I wouldn't have to pack up the tent, and the stuff that goes with it for two people. Keep in mind that the Fort has always been a family favorite here. Grandson had even said he would be up for camping if that was the option we chose.

During our stay, there was some rain and also some hot temps. But by the end of the day, temps settled down to a nice, enjoyable evening. One evening, the rain was pretty severe, so I remember thinking that we were lucky we weren't in a tent.

We booked and went to the Hoop-de-Doo one evening. We took the boat over from the MK---an enjoyable little cruise. As the boat approached the Fort, I felt that tug, and told my grandson, "Oh, I wish we were staying at the Fort!" It just really has that kind of pull on you. I'm a camping kind of person anyway. :) Just being at the Fort made me think about the quiet and relaxing atmosphere, camping amid the trees. If I'd-a had a tent with me, I'd-a moved right then! But we had the room at the POFQ, so back we went on the boat to the MK, then to our resort when the show was finished.

Soooo, all of that to say, if you waterproof your tent well, take a fan or so, and can stand some warm temps at times, I think you'd enjoy your time. I'd say the biggest worry would be the rain, so seal those seams with some Permatex flowable silicone. That's worked for me in all kinds of weather. It's cheap and you can find it at the auto supply shops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter