Campers, I need honest opinions

MandLBee

Mouseketeer
We have a trip booked for Sep 26-30. It's all planned and half paid for. We are tent camping.

I'm becoming very concerned about the weather situation in Florida. I do not want to be soggy and hot for nearly a week! However, we would be celebrating a couple of kids' birthdays and enjoying all the Halloween and Fall decorations and parties/events. Also, we have had a rough year and it would be good to get away sooner than later. I just keep thinking about the 2+ hours of setting up camp in the hot afternoon and camping in wet conditions.

Now, we *could* book a different trip for February. Here we would celebrate the adult birthdays and Valentine's Day (not as much fun) during the other Value priced package time, and the crowds should be lower since there's no free dining, and the weather is less likely to be a problem. I'm worried about ride closure, less Magic, chilly days.

What would y'all do?

Personally, I would come in February--just because of the heat. I live in the panhandle of FL and couldn't imagine tent camping in Orlando in September. Granted, lots do and if you're fine with the heat & humidity, then go for it.

The temps in Feb could be warm or cold, it's anyone's guess. I've been on the beach in Feb and also bundled up freezing, lol.

February is a nice weather month at the Fort but you have to be prepared. I have had days where I ran the AC and heater

February is a nice weather month at the Fort but you have to be prepared. I have had days where I ran the AC and heater
I think that would be okay for us. I am from Colorado and I find the humidity difficult. Here in Tennessee I've been working in my garden. At 85 degrees and humid, I am a mess.

September can offer hot days, sunny days, wet days, muggy days, and hurricanes. It is not a month that skips weather other than perhaps cold days. February is easier to predict: warm days, warmer days, or cold and colder days, or most likely both cold and hot then cold again. Humidity and rain - not so much. If I were you and needed a vacation sooner than later, I would do some trips nearby until February. Also, we use birthday dates as "movable feasts" and celebrate on alternate dates where we can have more fun, and sometimes we use the "half birthday" party at Disney.

Just be aware that Feb includes a couple of marathons, Presidents Day vacation, and Mardi Gras, and the end of the month the beginning of spring break, all of which mean larger crowds. That being said, the weather while usually dry and less humid...we arrived two years ago it was 90, by thursday of the same week the high was mid 50's and that night was 40 with a very strong wind, so wind chill was probably at or below freezing. Was not the night to ride Splash Mountain. This year we are headed down in Sept and will be there when your trip is planned. So we will see what the weather brings. We will make the most of it, after all we will be at Disney.:smickey:

I would vote for February! We just got back from a tent camping trip at Fort Pickens over Memorial Day and the humidness at night was awful. So much so that we ended up at the Holiday Inn our last night! lol There were lots of people there that were doing it and seemed to be having a great time, but with our two little kids we just decided to bail. It was also threatening storms our last night and I despise cleaning up wet tenting equipment.

It is bummer that you would be missing out on the fall experiences, but there is typically so many fall parties, etc that time of year at home that our kids enjoy. Usually by February we are ready to do something fun and warm!

I cannot say about February, but I September will likely be the 3 H's! Hazy, Hot, and Humid.... Throw in a bit of rain to cool you of (briefly) and then to crank the humidity back up.

I think the "Wetness" will be more from sweating then the rain. If you do opt for September, make sure the tent is "AC" Capable.

I can deal with the 3 H's but then you end up In and Out of cool places which, imho, makes it worse. You are hot and sweating... then you go in an "Air Conditioned" location and you freeze.... Finally get adjusted... back out in the heat....

We, personally like Late November... (I know that wasn't one of your choices). Still a lot to do. Weather is bearable and lots of "Christmas" decorations and activities.

I would vote for February! We just got back from a tent camping trip at Fort Pickens over Memorial Day and the humidness at night was awful. So much so that we ended up at the Holiday Inn our last night! lol There were lots of people there that were doing it and seemed to be having a great time, but with our two little kids we just decided to bail. It was also threatening storms our last night and I despise cleaning up wet tenting equipment.

It is bummer that you would be missing out on the fall experiences, but there is typically so many fall parties, etc that time of year at home that our kids enjoy. Usually by February we are ready to do something fun and warm!

I'm with lynzi. February for the weather. I don't go to the Fort generally June-September because of the heat and humidity. The locals don't book up the Fort then either on weekends like they do October-May because it's not comfortable for them either (lots of tenters on weekends during those times when available).

I understand wanting to celebrate birthdays at WDW but I think you could find something to celebrate in February. Your trip is for the end of September so you might catch an early October cool front but were I a gambling man, February is more of a sure thing weather wise.

Bama Ed

I cannot say about February, but I September will likely be the 3 H's! Hazy, Hot, and Humid.... Throw in a bit of rain to cool you of (briefly) and then to crank the humidity back up.

I think the "Wetness" will be more from sweating then the rain. If you do opt for September, make sure the tent is "AC" Capable.

I can deal with the 3 H's but then you end up In and Out of cool places which, imho, makes it worse. You are hot and sweating... then you go in an "Air Conditioned" location and you freeze.... Finally get adjusted... back out in the heat....

We, personally like Late November... (I know that wasn't one of your choices). Still a lot to do. Weather is bearable and lots of "Christmas" decorations and activities.
I wish we could do november! I'm a music teacher and can't miss work that time of year. And it's pricier. I do think February is a good escape month after a nasty (usually) January and we would be gone before the President's Day weekend.

Local, tent camper here. If you really want to go in September, there's no reason not to as long as you are prepared and a tent with a/c port is definitely a plus! If not, we've gone in August, you just really need a fan and an extra tarp for the top of your tent because rain WILL be an issue. Also, while hurricane season uns from June-November, here in the area, we get hit almost always in September or October. If I were coming from a cooler climate, February would definitely be a better option, but if your heart is set on September, you can make it work.

Your trip is for the end of September so you might catch an early October cool front but were I a gambling man, February is more of a sure thing weather wise.

Bama Ed

Wise fellow, thank you. And see, I had students who had to cancel their trips last year from the Hurricane. I'd rather be cold than wet for sure!

Personal experience has shown me Sept. is very hot and humid. You can count on pop-up thunderstorms every afternoon. Now we like Dec/Jan time frame weather can be warm to cold but we are ready for both. The one thing that is constant is there will be weather no matter when you go

Oh dear. DH and I were thinking of late Sept for our trip next year (once again combining WDW and the Smokies) as we really want to see the Smokies in the fall. Neither of us do well in humidity so I expect we need to 'rethink' this. I'm glad I looked at this thread!

Oh dear. DH and I were thinking of late Sept for our trip next year (once again combining WDW and the Smokies) as we really want to see the Smokies in the fall. Neither of us do well in humidity so I expect we need to 'rethink' this. I'm glad I looked at this thread!

DH and I have camped in the Smokies for the last 5 falls. The leaves change from the whole month of October but for the prettiest leaves I recommend going around the weekend of the 20th give or take. If you go much earlier, everything around Gatlinburg is green. You have to go to the high elevations early. But between the 20th and Halloween the color starts tumbling down the mountain and it is beautiful. Obviously at that point the higher elevations are done but we still find that the prettiest time to go!

You might consider going to the Smokies first around Halloween and then making your way to FW in November!

For you and the OP also - Sept. is still very much hot and humid at Disney, and the deep south in general. Storms are fairly frequent, though most are brief (hurricane season though).

We've been to the Smokies in the Fall, but don't go anymore. The traffic is bumper to bumper, and it's hard to pinpoint a reservation time to see the leaf colors, as it varies so much from year to year.

I've gone in July/August. Heat, humidity, thunderstorms.

Saved a lot of money, met some great people, it's super quiet at night and the fort itself is amazing.

It wasn't awful. The main downside is that I really couldn't use the pools in the afternoon. The water was not refreshing AT ALL.

I would not do it with:

A heath condition that would be worsened by the heat, a spouse that is not on board, or a baby. The first and third is obvious. The second is because it's all about mindset and if your spouse doesn't like camping to begin with, that tent will end up on the dumpster and you'll be checking into a hotel after the first night.

If you go, do your research. If I hadn't asked a bunch of questions on fort fiends and here, I probably would have been flooded out the first night. Instead I came prepared to tie out all guy lines and stake my tent taut. Never any water at all in my tent.

Build in extra days. Count on needing more time. You need to take it easy and NOT drink soda or too much alcohol. You've got to stay hydrated, slather on sunscreen, and have the brains to duck into a dark ride (or the forts bathrooms and stores and buses) before heat stroke becomes a real danger.

My trip was successful for the above reasons and because I genuinely like to camp. I have a friend who wanted to to go with me initially (backed out at the last moment) and she wanted to camp solely to save money. Nope. Not a good enough reason to go camping in Florida in August, no matter how much of a cheapskate you are.

How are the pools in February?

Also, super disappointed to miss Food and Wine, but I just keep thinking about the misery of September humidity. Wouldn't even hesitate to come in early Fall if we were in a building, but the tent camping is the problem.

How are the pools in February?

Also, super disappointed to miss Food and Wine, but I just keep thinking about the misery of September humidity. Wouldn't even hesitate to come in early Fall if we were in a building, but the tent camping is the problem.

Look at temp averages for February. It would be too cold for me to enjoy the pools, but they are heated so doable I guess.

If you'd be willing to stay in the parks all day in that humidity, I think you could handle camping. The people who really couldn't handle it are the kind of people who like to take naps in the afternoon. It's just too hot to do so if you camp.

We've gone a few times in Feb, but prefer early September for the low crowds and pool weather. I agree that as long as you have a tent with a/c you should be fine. In Feb it's so hit or miss (but keep in mind that's coming from a northern climate - if we drive 24 hours to escape the northeast you'd better believe I want it to be hot!) ;) Not everyone agrees with that. Parks were fine in Sept as long as we had our frog tog towels, little fans and lots of water. Plus we take a few hours off in the afternoon to swim and go back to the parks at night so we avoid the worst of the heat. We made the mistake of going to MK during a cheerleading convention in Feb and will not be doing that again if we can avoid it. That said, I don't think either is a bad time to go. We are going in Nov this time (trying something new).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter