Calling All Disney Vacation Planners...Host Agency Reviews Wanted

nunzia

You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys
It is impossible to cull through the hundreds of agencies that host agents for booking Disney travel. Is there a place..or do any of you have input, as to what type of training, support, costs, benefits etc can be expected as the norm? It seems all of them allow you to take the Disney College of Knowledge, but then it seems like many other opportunities require a card that just the agency owner has and you have a chance to earn a higher status to get your own card. How about booking systems? Does the agency provide that? Average costs? I know agencies cover you with the insurance. Many agencies have very flashy set ups to apply and require a great deal, such as a dedicated phone line, some don't mention this, some just have a contact up for more info on becomming an agent, some don't even mention if they are allowing agents to join. How about perks? Discounts on travel, commission rates? I have read a lot online and read host agency reviews, but those sites don't seem to have much info on agencies that focus on Disney. Several I've looked at are Dreams Unlimited (board sponsor, but their info to become an agent page is being worked on), Small World (not accepting agents and frankly didn't enjoy working with them much for a cruise), Magical Moments Vacations (looks good! but also noticed that the reviews on a large host agency site semed to come in in clumps on same days only a few minutes apart) Off to Neverland (super high commission for host, but classsy website and very detailed instructions on becomming an agent), Pixie Vacations (I met one of the owners at an Expo I believe and site is nice, but can't see where you find out about applying) Other board is sponsored by Fairy Godmother but really haven't found out much about them. And then there are tons more. Sorry for the long winded intro..when really all I am asking for is HELP, and who better to ask than the very knowledgeable DIS board folk.

I have been looking as well. Off to Neverland Travel has a great site but they require that you travel to Disney at least 5 times and once in the last 12 months. I will have been 3 times this coming Sept. and I have read and reread the passporter guide books, read many boards, and spent hours researching. I have also booked a vacation for friends who are traveling for their first trip to Disney this August. I have added my name to a couple of sites and we will see what happens. I recommend checking with the BBB on any of the Host Agencies.

Andiepirate:

I have been looking as well. Off to Neverland Travel has a great site but they require that you travel to Disney at least 5 times and once in the last 12 months. I will have been 3 times this coming Sept. and I have read and reread the passporter guide books, read many boards, and spent hours researching. I have also booked a vacation for friends who are traveling for their first trip to Disney this August. I have added my name to a couple of sites and we will see what happens. I recommend checking with the BBB on any of the Host Agencies.

Andiepirate:

The one I was looking into in addition to the 5 visits you must have been on a Disney cruise. I told my husband I NEED to go on one, so I can be a Disney TA!!!:rotfl2:

Andiepirate:

What if you wanted to do it primarily for booking your own travel....does it save a lot of $$ ? ,I would be willing to do the training if so.

What if you wanted to do it primarily for booking your own travel....does it save a lot of $$ ? ,I would be willing to do the training if so.

No, standard commission to the agency is 10% of cruise (not including taxes and fees). You get a portion of that 10% depending on the agency.

The thing with Off to Neverland is that they take a big portion of the commission...60% and you only get 40%. I'm lucky enough to fit all the other obligations.
I hope people keep contributing to this thread..this topic comes up often and never seems to have specific guidelines.

Most agencies will split the commission with you (you get 5%, they get 5%), and the training will vary on the agency. Its not something you can make a lot of money at, unless you put A LOT into it (think of it as selling something like avon or thirty one, unless you have people to buy, you don't sell). It is also something you have to be ready to commit to 24-7. I am just getting into it through a local agency. I worked with one that you didn't mention and it was a horrible experience. I was really gun shy at getting involved with another agency that I couldn't talk with someone face to face again, so I went with a local agency as an independent agent. I love helping people plan their vacations, and that is why I do it.

I realize people probably don't want to post names of companies for various reasons but I'd love to have PMs of individual experiences. I don't think we even have a local agency anymore..and the last time I dealt ith ours the lady was snobby and unhelpful.

I'm a Disney TA ( work at home) I get 70% off commission & 90% for personal travel..

Also with the CLIA or IATA card their are lots off opportunities to save or even Disney will put out specials for travel professionals..

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & CR Sept 8-15, 2013

It is impossible to cull through the hundreds of agencies that host agents for booking Disney travel. Is there a place..or do any of you have input, as to what type of training, support, costs, benefits etc can be expected as the norm? It seems all of them allow you to take the Disney College of Knowledge, but then it seems like many other opportunities require a card that just the agency owner has and you have a chance to earn a higher status to get your own card. How about booking systems? Does the agency provide that? Average costs? I know agencies cover you with the insurance. Many agencies have very flashy set ups to apply and require a great deal, such as a dedicated phone line, some don't mention this, some just have a contact up for more info on becomming an agent, some don't even mention if they are allowing agents to join. How about perks? Discounts on travel, commission rates? I have read a lot online and read host agency reviews, but those sites don't seem to have much info on agencies that focus on Disney. Several I've looked at are Dreams Unlimited (board sponsor, but their info to become an agent page is being worked on), Small World (not accepting agents and frankly didn't enjoy working with them much for a cruise), Magical Moments Vacations (looks good! but also noticed that the reviews on a large host agency site semed to come in in clumps on same days only a few minutes apart) Off to Neverland (super high commission for host, but classsy website and very detailed instructions on becomming an agent), Pixie Vacations (I met one of the owners at an Expo I believe and site is nice, but can't see where you find out about applying) Other board is sponsored by Fairy Godmother but really haven't found out much about them. And then there are tons more. Sorry for the long winded intro..when really all I am asking for is HELP, and who better to ask than the very knowledgeable DIS board folk.

I copied your questions so I wouldn't miss anything.... maybe I won't.

You are right. There are a lot of host agencies that go from awesome to work with to down right demanding. I don't know of anywhere that has a list of them with reviews but that is an awesome idea!

You could get 40%-80% commissions from the ones I have looked at. For many agencies, there is a lot involved when booking a trip, like booking dining, making itineraries, etc. There is no commission on those items, but it's good business practice to get word of mouth advertising.

You can't do CDK training until you are affiliated with a host agency. Once you are set up, then you do the training. There is also a lot of other training available on other websites that you might be booking trips through. CLIA/IATA comes with it's own training and it's not free or cheap. Being affiliated with them (and having the ID card) is where your discounts come in, but if you are going to be a TA to get discounts, you would be wasting time and money. You should be able to get one of these cards with any host agency, as it is your money to do it anyway, but it's usually not a requirement.

Host agencies do provide the booking websites, but some agencies do charge for you to use their websites. Host agencies can also and most do charge for the errors and ommissions insurance.

HTH

popcorn::
Great info! I am a RN but see signed in Feb b/c the long hours are not conducive to my family, ESP with DH traveling for his job. I have been brainstorming ideas to just make a bit of cash and feel productive. Considering TA.

popcorn::
Great info! I am a RN but see signed in Feb b/c the long hours are not conducive to my family, ESP with DH traveling for his job. I have been brainstorming ideas to just make a bit of cash and feel productive. Considering TA.

I'm a CCRN! I still work full time and do the travel agency part time, because I have to get my "planning" fix somewhere!

I am quitting my job in January and hope to do all training and planning to get into this by then. I do not expect to make much income, if any, for quite some time, but will hopefully be able to eventually have some clients and make a bit of money. :) If I was more computer savvy I'd set up a site for comparing host programs from Disney Travel sites. I've looked everywhere and info is hard to come by. I found the one host review site but it only had 2 Disney agents on it and the reviews looked seeded. There is a Travel Professionals site that has a host comparison area but you already have to have a host agengy to belong..kind of a Catch 22 there. I guess I will have to research and research some more to pick my initial host and then go from there. I'm enjoying this thread...keep it coming :).

I have been planning trips for 15 years... been with AAA and Uniglobe in the past..
Always a side thing for me. I highly suggest my current agency ****************************. she gives great cm rates and pays u quick... lots of good support from other agents too.

No matter where u go it takes a lot of time to get started and u don't get money rolling in for a while.

I am a TA on the side (mostly friends and family). I use TravelQuest as my host agency and I get 70% of the commission.

Best,

Autumn

I'm surprised that some responders use a not Disney centric agengy. Are these at home jobs or brick and mortar? Do you handle other bookings besides Disney? Do you find it hard to promote yourself to the travel population as a whole instead of a niche market?

I'm surprised that some responders use a not Disney centric agengy. Are these at home jobs or brick and mortar? Do you handle other bookings besides Disney? Do you find it hard to promote yourself to the travel population as a whole instead of a niche market?

They could be both brick and mortar and home based. Some do both. Many companies, including those with names that suggest Disney, do book other locations. I would think IMO, it would be easier to promote to everyone rather than a niche so you could catch more travelers going to more places.

The agency I work for pays 80 percent commission and is a Disney earmarked agency... that said, I can also book any type of travel which is a huge bonus. One group trip to Cancun netted me enough money for a week at a suite at ASM.. not to mention the travel benefits Disney offers to travel agents.

can i jump on this thread too??? i'm an at home mom who's kids are getting old enough to go to school and give me a few hours of quiet. I really want to start bringing some money into the house even if its just for the kids extra curricular activities. I LOVE planning Disney vacations and would need to work from home. I've been researching taking a travel agent course and becoming a Disney focused agent. Still on the fence about it but interested in finding out more information about doing it from home.....

What kind of Travel Agent course are you looking at? I don't see having that a requirement at many places and I wonder if it's important or a waste of money? I had looked at that a bit, but I have a BS in Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism management so don't know if that would be overkill for me. I'm guessing the host agency will point me in the right direction for specific training/software I would need? Making headway and still going forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!