• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all Disney marathon runners/ spectators!

goofy about mickey

Mouseketeer
The Disney Marathon sounds like a wonderful event in which to participate. I was wondering if anyone here could provide any details or share their experiences.

I've never run more than six miles at a time and I don't think I could be ready in time for the January 2002 event, but I'd love to prepare for the 2003 run...at least it would provide another excuse to go to WDW. ;) Is this a good marathon for first-timers? I imagine that there must be plenty to keep runners from getting bored. Do people who are vacationing at the time of the event seem to enjoy the race?

Thank you! :)

Maybe you could try the 1/2 marathon in 2002 and the full marathon in 2003.
I was a spectator this year, cheering for some of my friends as they ran down Main Street toward Cindy's Castle. It was really cool to watch everybody, runners, walkers, wheelchair athletes, etc. I think it is a good race for first-timers (not that I'm a runner myself) because there seemed to be really enthusiastic crowds along the course to cheer the athletes on. The cheerleaders included Mickey & Minnie at Town Square!!

To mitigate the impact on other guests, the marathon begins very early in the morning (around 5 am I'd say) so most runners are finished by the time guests begin arriving at the parks. At most, you'll have some detours on the roads into and out of the parks, but you shouldn't have any problems inside the parks themselves. To really avoid any problems if you won't be participating in the race or cheering a participant you may want to consider having a late night the night before the race and sleeping in on marathon day. This way, you'll be sure to avoid any marathon congestion or detours.

PammyK - that's a good idea to recommend the half, however it is full for 2002.

So Goofy about Mickey - if you want to do the 2003 marathon I recommend registering as soon as you can, which I think is march, so you can probably register for the 2003 one in March 2002.

I've heard that people love this race and you only have to be able to run it in at least 7 hrs. (16min/miles)

Thank you, both, for your replies!

PammyK - That's good to know that the race begins early. I'd imagine that the Florida sun could become oppressive...even in January. By the way, I'm orignially from New Jersey so I know how you feel.

cavepig - Thanks for the tip regarding registration. I think that I'm going to do it, so I'll make a note to register early.

I ran the Marathon about 6 years ago and it is relatively flat except for running up and down several entance/exit ramps (which really get annoying after 20 some miles!). Running through the parks were exciting but you probably spend less than 1/10th of the race doing this. The addition of animal kingdom to the course will help. I am also shooting for 2003, but have a lot of training to go!

I'm registered for the 2002!! woohooooo!!!!
can't wait!!! :)
c'mon you guys! you can train in time for 2002!!!
the training period if you go by a schedule is 26 weeks!!! that starts next month!!!!!!!!

easy for me to say, I'm just about trained, I've been doing the training schedule pretty much as my normal routine for the past year! but if you want to, you can doo it!!!!
can't wait to run through the castle!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Laura :D :D :D

Hi,
DH and I did the half-marathon this year and loved it. We signed up for it again in 2002. With your 6 miles, you are way ahead of me at this time last year. I only started running 06/00, and I did just fine. I think you have plenty of time to train for the half, even the full. I'm not ready for the full yet, but it is totally mental.

There is a way for you to do the half if you really want to. What you do is sign up for the full, then later in the year (I think November) you request to do the half and they switch you. The only thing is you have to pay for the full.

I think it is a great excuse to go to WDW! The week after the race is wonderful, the parks are empty.

During the run, there are some boring stretches of road, but the anticipation of running thru the parks makes the time fly. I don't know if other vacationers enjoy the race, but for us it was inspirational. We saw it 2 years ago during our vaca and decided "we could do that". Now were hooked! I hope to do the full some day.

Hope to see you there!
:D

Geyser Gazer - Animal Kingdom is the park that I am most worried about! :eek: If memory serves, that park uses a lot of stone and wood surfaces that create a lot of uneven footing. I wonder if the marathon path avoids these areas. Hope we're all there in 2003! :D

princess angel - Good luck in the 2002 marathon! Will this be your first marathon? I know that there are various training schedules posted on the Internet. Are you using one of these? I'm eagerly awaiting your report sometime after the 2002 run! :cool:

Buttercup - Thanks for the tip about being able to switch between the full and half marathons. It's good to know that I won't be entirely out of luck if I sign up for the full but am still not ready at the time of the run. Does the half marathon take you through all of the parks?

The half marathon goes thru Epcot around mile 3, then MK around mile 10. It's great!

yes, it's my first marathon!!!!!!!!
I've done a couple of races, but never a marathon!!!
I cannot wait! I am totally psyched!!! :)

people keep asking me, "why don't you do the N.Y. marathon?" I just have no desire to run through the streets of NY!!! I grew up there. But running through my favorite place on earth!!! this is going to be outrageous!!! I cannot imagine the thrill of running thru the castle! and having Mickey cheering us on on the side lines!!! It's going to be such an adrenaline rush!!!!!

I will defiantely post when I get back!!! :) :) :)

I am going to go by one of the schedules on the internet, I haven't decided which one yet, basically I'm not too concerned with which one I follow, cause I pretty much am trained already! I run 5 days a week, 4 days I do 6.5 miles, and then on saturdays I do my long run, anywhere from 8 to 13 miles, usually 10 or 12 miles. That is what the schedules tell you to do for 26 weeks before the race, and I've been doing that already for about a year! I am sooooo ready!!!

the only thing that throws me off my schedule are my trips to WDW!!! I eat like a glutton!!! I do still run while I'm there though. I have 3 trips to wdw prior to the race, one in july, then Sept (just for laborday weekend) then we're going for 8 days in october! that october trip could cause a lot of damage if I don't watch it!!! I'm going to have to watch what I eat a little more carefully, and do my scheduled running! then I'll be OK!!!
we're staying at the BW in October, and I love running around the BW! :)

Laura :D :D :D

Laura,

Where did you find the marathon training schedules? Was it a difficult training schedule to maintain...besides the frequent Disney trips? :D:

Liz

Running in a marathon sounds like it requires a lot of dedication to the sport.

I'm moving this over to our Community Board so everyone there can share their experiences with you.

Katholyn

My DH really wants to do this. What kind of weather are we looking at though. I mean will we be able to swim outisde and stuff like that? (As this would also be a family vacation) I guess weather would be my only concern about that time. And is the finish line actuallly inside the park where I would have to pay to see him finish?

Bumping this up ---

Where can I find a training schedule?

My sister has signed up for the full marathon - and wants me to join her - but she'll be walking for the most part, so I think I can do that (16 minute average pace is doable I think), but I'd like to train a bit more intensely.

Also, thanks about the tip on calling to change to the half marathon - I know I can do that!

alemankc,
The finish line for the full marathon is in the Epcot parking lot. The finish for the half is in the MK parking lot.

This year it was very cold in January. I was freezing. It was 32 degrees at the starting line! People were still swimming at the resorts since the pools are heated. I think the swimmers were warmer than the people watching them. January can be nice and warm also. You just never know.

Hi,

Does anyone know how strict they are about that 16 minute per mile pace? Some people from our group might not make it and I don't want them to be upset that they are removed from the race. Right now, they don't believe that Disney actually will remove someone from the race for going to slow. Anyone know first hand? Have you seen them pick up the slower people?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter