Calling all Credit Card Rewards Experts - Overwater Bungalow in French Polynesia

Mrs. Ciz

DIS Veteran
Hi Credit Card Experts,

Have any of you successfully booked an economical overwater bungalow in either French Polynesia or a similar location? I've done a little reading, and it seems there are some very nice economical options that are under $500 a night in cash (like the Intercontinental Moorea). Or some OWBs can be fully booked on Hotel/Credit Card points, while other OWBs can't be booked on points. You'd have to book a regular villa on points and do a cash upgrade for the OWB.

What about flights? I hear they are very expensive to French Polynesia, and then some super remote resorts require a $400+ per person seaplane ride to access them???!!!

DH and I will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary this December, so I want to plan something special for whenever we get let out of lockdown. I figure it may be a while, so I want to maximize my options with credit card/hotel rewards while I have time. Is it possible to do this trip economically (like for $5000)? Or am I just dreaming while in lockdown?

Please share your success stories here!!!!

Last edited:
No idea about French Polynesia but I do think they have the over the water sorts in St Lucia now, which is a ton closer and cheaper

Check out www.youngisland.com

It's not an over water bungalow's, but it's one of the best places we've ever stayed. We did the stay and sail package which was 5 nights in a cottage on the beach and 2 nights on their sailing yacht.

Check out this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...v3-0-see-first-page-for-addl-details.3784063/

There are quite a few regulars there that have done it and can help you do what you want to do through credit cards.
I think I need to post my question on that thread. I've posted questions and a mini trip report about my 2019 South Africa Safari trip there before, but that thread goes so fast. There are hundreds of posts a day, so I figured my question would get lost. But I'm going to try it.

I think I need to post my question on that thread. I've posted questions and a mini trip report about my 2019 South Africa Safari trip there before, but that thread goes so fast. There are hundreds of posts a day, so I figured my question would get lost. But I'm going to try it.
For what it’s worth, it has been moving a lot slower these days with everything that has been going on in the world.

Have you checked out Costco Travel? They’ve had good deals in the past. I can’t remember how much it was, but we stayed in an over water bungalow in Bora Bora for our honeymoon and I remember it was pretty reasonable, plus the package included some meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!