California Tent Camping

RangerPooh

DIS Veteran
DH and I are looking to tent camp in California this summer. We are both from California and grew up camping all over the state, but haven't been back in the last 6+ years. So I am looking for your recommendations on where to camp south of SF. We already have reservations at new Brighton State Beach (I camped there a lot growing up) and are hoping to get Yosemite reservations next week (practically my second home growing up so VERY familiar with the park...hence already on the to-do list).

Parks that we are considering but are looking for recent reviews as it has been a number of years since we have camped there:
Morro Bay SP
Calveras Big Trees SP
Montana De Oro SP

Any other suggesitons are welcome. We're looking for parks that offer car camping, are suitable for families with young children, and offer hiking.

Have you considered Big Basin Redwoods SP? It's an easy drive from New Brighton, and is very family friendly. They have lots of guided hikes as well as trail maps, if you'd like to go it alone.

It is GREAT for families with kids. They have a terrific Junior Ranger program.

In Marin County, China Camp is a small state park but nice, and my kids love it. Samuel P Taylor (also in Marin) is great too. Emerald Bay, near Tahoe is fantastic. Have fun!

Of the ones on your list, we've been most recently to Big Trees and like it, but like Big Basin better. We have two kids (8 and 11) -- we've been camping w/ them since they were in diapers.

Have you considered Big Basin Redwoods SP? It's an easy drive from New Brighton, and is very family friendly. They have lots of guided hikes as well as trail maps, if you'd like to go it alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter