California Grill review podcast

VandVsmama

DIS Veteran
I usually listen the DIS Unplugged podcasts on my phone, so I was listening to the recent review of California Grill. Holy cow, the entire team gave it such rave reviews! Their descriptions of that filet of beef make it sound totally amazing. I am seriously considering booking the California Grill for dinner one evening during our trip this June.

Have any of you guys eaten there? What did you think?

I usually listen the DIS Unplugged podcasts on my phone, so I was listening to the recent review of California Grill. Holy cow, the entire team gave it such rave reviews! Their descriptions of that filet of beef make it sound totally amazing. I am seriously considering booking the California Grill for dinner one evening during our trip this June.

Have any of you guys eaten there? What did you think?

I’ll let you know in a week!

I started listening but then decided I wanted to wait until i could watch - but I do recall them saying at the beginning they were treating it more of a “best of” vs a real review

We’ve always had excellent meals there (though it has been a few years). Love the flatbreads and sushi - really only less than stellar item has been desserts

Also really good service - one time our server brought my wife and I champagne out to us while we were on the observation deck to watch the fireworks

Have eaten there quite a few times - mostly at the request of others. I will say that have never had a bad meal/service/experience here, but not a spectacular one either. For me personally, there are much better places to eat for that price point (or less!). Again - only for me - if the restaurant did NOT have that view, it would NOT support those prices. And it would not be on my list of places to go, were the decision solely mine, but I wouldn't have a problem going there for somebody's else's wishes/to treat them, as has always been the case for me in the past.

Last edited:
Have eaten there quite a few times - mostly at the request of others. I will say that have never had a bad meal/service/experience here, but not a spectacular one either. For me personally, there are much better places to eat for that price point (or less!). Again - only for me - if the restaurant did NOT have that view, it would NOT support those prices. And it would not be on my list of places to go, were the decision solely mine, but I wouldn't have a problem going there for somebody's else's wishes/to treat them, as has always been the case for me in the past.

It's always hard to think of prices at Disney restaurants that have some element unique to them (view, location, characters, etc.) because of course a restaurant with similar food would not be able to charge what they charge at Cali Grill without the view ...

... but it DOES have the view and I think those are the best Disney restaurants - the ones that have good to great food to go along with something unique that you can only get at Disney and I think Cali Grill qualifies for that. But if all you rate it on is the food then I think there are better options per $ on property

Knowing that it's your opinion, where would you eat, if CG didn't have the view?

[/QUOTE="warrenite, post: 59029483, member: 186218"]Knowing that it's your opinion, where would you eat, if CG didn't have the view?[/QUOTE

I have had very good to excellent meals and experiences at Jiko, the Turf Club, Hollywood Brown Derby, Boma, Olivia's, Biergarten, Crystal Palace, 50's Prime Time, and Trail's End, off the top of my head, and would go to any one of them again, in a heartbeat. And those are all mixtures of price points/experiences (all TS though, left QS out).

Last edited:
I've been to CG 4 times.

I've never had a bad meal.

I've never had poor service.

I think I have eaten at most of the Signature Restaurants at WDW, and I would say that I've had the best meal of them all at CG.

Never been, but now I really want to go. I really enjoyed their review. I think they all did a great job on the show.

We gave up on CG a while ago. It seems to be more about the view than the service and food.

Exactly my feelings! We were never blown away by their entrees. More Disney fine dining, than real world fine dining. But those who I spoke with last week assured me CA Grill has upped it's quality significantly. We'll try it again at some point this year.

[/QUOTE="warrenite, post: 59029483, member: 186218"]Knowing that it's your opinion, where would you eat, if CG didn't have the view?[/QUOTE

I have had very good to excellent meals and experiences at Jiko, the Turf Club, Hollywood Brown Derby, Boma, Olivia's, Biergarten, Crystal Palace, 50's Prime Time, and Trail's End, off the top of my head, and would go to any one of them again, in a heartbeat. And those are all mixtures of price points/experiences (all TS though, left QS out).

Woah!!! I don’t think one can compare CG to a place like 50s Prime Time or Crystal Palace. CG is on an entirely different level in terms of both food quality and service.

I enjoy CG and have never had an issue dining there.

Woah!!! I don’t think one can compare CG to a place like 50s Prime Time or Crystal Palace. CG is on an entirely different level in terms of both food quality and service.

I enjoy CG and have never had an issue dining there.
Nope, @*NikkiBell* - You definitely can NOT compare them to CG, for sure, which is why I said I was listing a bunch of different experiences, and price points in my reply to where I WOULD prefer to eat,, compared to CG. Notice - I also included other venues (Jiko and Brown Derby, among others) which ARE more comparable to CG, for both ambiance and price point. And yes, I also said I'd never had a bad experience at CG, just have never had a "wow" one - not connected to the view - either. And I have had much better food experiences at other venues, for the same price point, or less. I also constantly say it's been 5 years since I've been to WDW, so all my opinions are rather dated.

Last edited:
Looks like we'll have an opportunity to try it out! Snagged a dinner reservation at CA Grill for our last night before we fly back home to the real world for our upcoming vacation this summer. Thanks everyone! I promise to post pictures in a trip report! :thumbsup2

Looks like we'll have an opportunity to try it out! Snagged a dinner reservation at CA Grill for our last night before we fly back home to the real world for our upcoming vacation this summer. Thanks everyone! I promise to post pictures in a trip report! :thumbsup2
@VandVsmama - Hope it's an absolutely wonderful experience for you!

If you like fish, and there is a fish dish on the menu....I recommend the fish. I've had several fish entrees there and they are always great.

I've eaten there 3 times, but have never experienced a nighttime show. The view, however, is gorgeous at sunset. My 30th birthday dinner was a rainy June night, and you could see the storm coming in. What a spectacle!!

Food was good 2 out of 3 times - the last time I went, I had a pizza and it was just okay. I really enjoyed the gussied up Shirley Temple I ordered, and I love the chocolate dessert. The service was also lacking the last time I went. The other two times were very different experiences - attentive service, and above par food.

I will definitely go back, as my Husband (not really a "Disney dude") likes CG a lot. I would like to try out other signature dining though.

We ate there a year ago, based on all the wonderful reviews. We ordered the steaks and my 'medium' steak came back raw blue. I sent it back. It came back again, blue in the middle. Our waitress never ever came back to check on us. The manager wanted to send out a third steak but I said no thank you. The appetizers were nice, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter