Cactus League MLB Spring Training 2024 Trip Report

None of it says Cleveland "Guardians" either. It either says just Cleveland or Cleveland Indians.
Why wouldn't you want something with Guardians on it? It's such a good choice for a team name, second only to the Commanders.
giphy-downsized.gif

Why wouldn't you want something with Guardians on it? It's such a good choice for a team name, second only to the Commanders.

Guess what, Jack? You know that the team had a hard time finding a new nickname that wasn't already trademarked so they ultimately named the team after a BRIDGE near the stadium that has carvings of spirits/ghosts/persons on it?

And THEN, no, no don't quit reading yet ......

After the team and MLB announced the new name, turns out there was a ROLLER DERBY in Cleveland that already had that name starting in 2013 ....

https://www.clevelandguardians.com/

Guardians-2023-45-scaled.jpg

I couldn't make this junk up if I tried! :confused3

giphy.gif

Now, I don't blame the players, team coaches, or fans for the stupid name change. I DO blame the MLB Commissioner's office and STUPID team owners who went along with this sad saga. It obviously didn't turn out the way they'd been told it would.

A simple Google search of the name would have turned up the roller derby team's website.

That's the IQ of the people running MLB and their teams. Convince me otherwise.

Bama Ed

PS - love me some Ren & Stimpy

The saga aside, at least pick a name with some pop. Something that is recognizable of Cleveland. Heck, something with alliteration at least?

So many things out there that are unique to Cleveland. A play on Lake Erie, The Rock n Rollers, The Cuyahoga Burners, Polish boys, City Chickens, Drew Carey Fan Club, the Raviolis after Boyardee. If you can't find a good Cleveland specific name go for an animal/object/color...Green Jays, Sparrows, Carnations (state flower), Blue Sox, Wool Sox, Holey Sox literally ANYthing other than the Guardians.

The Wichita Turbo Tubs (AA club in KS) has more excitement in their name. Guardians sounds like something the hamfisted, butt of all jokes in the military would come up with to call their people...it might have some meaning, but man it sounds like the team in a cheesy 80s sports movie.

The Wichita Turbo Tubs (AA club in KS) has more excitement in their name. Guardians sounds like something the hamfisted, butt of all jokes in the military would come up with to call their people...it might have some meaning, but man it sounds like the team in a cheesy 80s sports movie.

Don't forget "the Mistake by the Lake". :rotfl2:(my personal favorite)

A "cheesy 80s sports movie you say .... :rolleyes:

major-league

zzfx89nkmoy21.jpg

Love me some Lou Brown.

LmpwZw

And the Indians announcer Harry Doyle was the cat's meow.

uecker_clicks_original.jpg

You're a good setup man!

Bama Ed

PS -

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Don't forget "the Mistake by the Lake". :rotfl2:(my personal favorite)

A "cheesy 80s sports movie you say .... :rolleyes:

major-league

zzfx89nkmoy21.jpg

Love me some Lou Brown.

LmpwZw

And the Indians announcer Harry Doyle was the cat's meow.

uecker_clicks_original.jpg

You're a good setup man!

Bama Ed

PS -

giphy.gif
That's far from a cheesy sports movie. That's classic cinema.

Rusty, I actually held back pretty well:

1. Stadium cups from spring training I pictured
2. Two Jacobs Field (Cleveland Stadium) concession stand cups (1995) with Chief Wahoo from ebay
3. One spring training t-shirt

None of it says Cleveland "Guardians" either. It either says just Cleveland or Cleveland Indians.

Just to close the loop on my souvenirs that Rusty (@TheRustyScupper ) asked about.

1. Previously shared pics of Goodyear Ball Park (Indians and Reds) souvenir cups.

2. Two Cleveland Indians stadium cups from Jacobs Field in Cleveland from ebay.

3. A Cleveland 2024 Spring Training t-shirt from the shop in the left field corner of Goodyear Ballpark.

Now I have the itch to go back to some Florida spring training games (closer to home and easier to get to than Arizona is) in the near future (not 2025). Will see what DW thinks of that idea down the road - my prediction is:

giphy.gif

So it will take some work.

Bama ed

Now I have the itch to go back to some Florida spring training games (closer to home and easier to get to than Arizona is) in the near future (not 2025). Will see what DW thinks of that idea down the road - my prediction is:

giphy.gif

So it will take some work.

Bama ed
Ed,

If I go back in 2026, you are welcome to joing me. Tell DW she can go shopping with Donna while you and me hit as many games and stadiums as we can.

:yay:

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter