BYOS bring your own straw (Disney removing straws and more in 2019)

When we were there 9/6-16th we threw away so many drinks that were at least half full due to the fact that I wasn't going to leave the kids drinks in the stroller without a lid while we did an attraction. On our 3 or 4th day I got a few lids from a few drinks where they gave them to us and saved them. HS cups were too big for the lids. Then I had a revelation. We had our refillable mugs :upsidedow It was so easy to order drinks, pour them into the mugs and throw away the useless, lidless cups.

I'm sure no straws would mean alot to this poor turtle!
If a plastic straw is responsibly disposed of and doesn't end up near the sea, then it won't wash up in Hawai'i or any other region where sea turtles are prevalent. However, there are people out there who need straws, so not everyone is going to be able to don the environmental hairshirt on straws.

We just returned last night after being there from the 22-30 and was given a straw at every QS location we went to, just no lid. Do straws are still there.

If a plastic straw is responsibly disposed of and doesn't end up near the sea, then it won't wash up in Hawai'i or any other region where sea turtles are prevalent. However, there are people out there who need straws, so not everyone is going to be able to don the environmental hairshirt on straws.
Exactly.

The point should be to depose of them properly rather than tossing them somewhere that will drain into the oceans.

Exactly.

The point should be to depose of them properly rather than tossing them somewhere that will drain into the oceans.
This is what annoys me about modern-day environmentalism and all those plastics virtue-signalling moves, not to mention one-sided campaigns that only listen to the side the plastiphobes want to hear. All it contrives to do is pin the blame on even us responsible users and nations that already have a developed infrastructure.

You can buy reusable straws for those with special needs.

You can buy reusable straws for those with special needs.
You'd say that, but there are disabled people out there who don't have the fine motor skills to clean them after use, and that would necessitate someone to do that for them, which takes away the independence factor the convenience of a plastic straw affords them.

You'd say that, but there are disabled people out there who don't have the fine motor skills to clean them after use, and that would necessitate someone to do that for them, which takes away the independence factor the convenience of a plastic straw affords them.
Wouldn't that be true then for say utensils like forks and anything with small crevices. I would wonder how any of their dishes would be cleaned properly. Silicone reusable straws can go in a dishwasher

Wouldn't that be true then for say utensils like forks and anything with small crevices. I would wonder how any of their dishes would be cleaned properly. Silicone reusable straws can go in a dishwasher
Well, forks and other utensils with such crevices have easier-to-reach areas so a dishwasher jet can easily blast through them. Straws, on the other hand, would require being positioned in a way that a jet can access the bore of it. However, some straws can be too narrow to be easily washed in a dishwasher, so it necessitates manual cleaning.

Dh and son are there now. They brought metal reusable straws. I am sure soon that Disney will sell you one in th he near future with Mickey ears for $13.99!

Dh and son are there now. They brought metal reusable straws. I am sure soon that Disney will sell you one in th he near future with Mickey ears for $13.99!
And manufactured for far less than that out of cheap high-quality Chinese steel, no doubt.

We were at WDW 2 weeks ago. The drinks from a cart at the hub on Main Street did not have Straws or lids. They warned us before they rang up the sale, and I foolishly said it was no problem. I then promptly sloshed Diet Coke all over myself as I walked away from the cart.

Well, forks and other utensils with such crevices have easier-to-reach areas so a dishwasher jet can easily blast through them. Straws, on the other hand, would require being positioned in a way that a jet can access the bore of it. However, some straws can be too narrow to be easily washed in a dishwasher, so it necessitates manual cleaning.
My opinion is that with all the options for disposable straw alternatives these arguements are just excuses to be angry and complain. That of course is my opinion however unpopular it is.

And when your family is done with their drinks at WDW, you get to carry home the germy, sticky disposable straws to try to wash in your resort room with the shampoo dispenser mounted on the wall in the shower.

What about toilet paper? How wasteful is all the toilet paper and flushable wipes guests use at Disney?

Coming soon, for “environmental reasons, not for profit reasons of course”, WDW will no longer provide toilet paper in their bathrooms. Need toilet paper? Bring your own disposable bathroom tissue or get some fabric, reusable toilet paper that you can carry back to your room and rinse out. (Sarcasm)

Last edited:
And when your family is done with their drinks at WDW, you get to carry home the germy, sticky disposable straws to try to wash in your resort room with the shampoo dispenser hanging in the shower.

What about toilet paper? How wasteful is all the toilet paper and flushable wipes guests use at Disney?

Coming soon, for “environmental reasons, not for profit reasons of course”, WDW will no longer provide toilet paper in their bathrooms. Need toilet paper? Bring your own disposable bathroom tissue or get some fabric, reusable toilet paper that you can carry back to your room and rinse out. (Sarcasm)
Oh wait, they could sell reusable toilet wipes in the parks. $20.99 per wipe in the rest rooms and packs of three in the gift shops for $41.99. But they’ll be so cute, with Mickey Mouse shorts and Minnie skirts print.

And when your family is done with their drinks at WDW, you get to carry home the germy, sticky disposable straws to try to wash in your resort room with the shampoo dispenser mounted on the wall in the shower.

Costco it is then!
My opinion is that with all the options for disposable straw alternatives these arguements are just excuses to be angry and complain. That of course is my opinion however unpopular it is.
The best alternative I've mooted for the straws is to switch to bioplastic made from sustainable plant. The same can be done for lids. People will hardly tell the difference except that it won't take as long as petroplastic to fully degrade.

Ok I have my issues, but I have gone to Starbucks a few times this last month. I actually LIKE their new lids. I am bitter about it, but they do work great. Disney needs to get something like that. Yes it has more plastic, but much better than NO lid.

Ok I have my issues, but I have gone to Starbucks a few times this last month. I actually LIKE their new lids. I am bitter about it, but they do work great. Disney needs to get something like that. Yes it has more plastic, but much better than NO lid.
I will admit that Starbucks' unique solution could be a better compromise, but recycling them will require Disney to implement plastics recycling bins at QS locations, and they will require being made out of a polymer that is much easier to recycle than the type used in the outgoing straw/lid combination, or to be made out of bioplastic. However, the bioplastic solution will need to be hypoallergenic or otherwise people with allergies to certain plants commonly used in bioplastics will end up reacting adversely to them.

When we were there recently we actually got straws at all places, except AK, even at Starbucks we received the regular lid and straw. I guess it just depends on the CM. And I didn't ask for them either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter