By the way, Anyone been to Disney Shanghai or Hong Kong?

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
Was wondering what they are like. I guess Hong Kong is a bit easier for Americans but I'm not sure. If anyone has been there could you share your experience on costs, resorts, and what the parks are like?

Maybe some day. I did go to Tokyo Disneyland a couple of times back in the early 90s. I loved it. It was only one park then, so I never got to experience Sea Disney, which looks amazing.

Check out DisneyTouristBlog(dot)com - Tom (the blogger) has visited every Disney park around the world and has a lot of advice about getting to them and enjoying them.

I live in Hong Kong and have been to Disneyland here many times. The park is very easy to navigate, everything is in English (and Chinese), and all cast members can speak at least a little English. You should have no problems with that. The park is much smaller than California Disneyland or Magic Kingdom, so you could easily do most things in one day. Two days if you want to do most things multiple times. The cost is a bit less than the US parks, but still not cheap. The food in the park is not cheap, either. Go onto the Hong Kong board, and you will find many answers to your questions.

Went to both this summer. Shanghai will definitely cause more culture shock but is an awesome park if you can get past the Chinese people's inability to stand in line.

Hong Kong park seemed smaller and was much less crowded when we went than Shanghai. There is more in English at Hong Kong, guests are far more orderly, and is overall a less stressful experience if it will be your first time someplace new.

There are unique and great rides at both parks.

I've been to Hong Kong Disneyland a few times - hope to visit Shanghai some day. I loved Hong Kong Disneyland - I've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and the Hollywood Hotel. Both I really enjoyed. Loved the breakfast buffet at the Hollywood Hotel. They have a new hotel - Explorer's Lodge -I would absolutely love to stay there. The location of the park is really beautiful with ocean views from select hotel rooms - breathtaking. There is a lovely walkway from the hotels to the park which I found super enjoyable - as well as bus transportation. It is magical Disney - just much smaller with fewer attractions - but some unique ones. Just remember it is only about 10 years old and has a lot of room to grow. While I was living in China, HKDL was my Disney fix and I went often - loved it. Each Disney park is special in it's own way so I just enjoy the uniqueness of each and try not to compare them. I would recommend staying on property for the magical experience. It is easily accessible by the Hong Kong metro which is easy. I thought the value for the resort room much better than at WDW especially for deluxe resorts. Add club level for an even more amazing experience.

We spent one day at Hong Kong Disneyland. Even though the park is fairly small and we went during the week when it wasn't very crowded I really wish we would have had two days. I feel we missed so much! We didn't really see any of the Toy Story land stuff, just walked through it. We did go on a couple of rides multiple times though. Hong Kong itself is very easy to get around and we did love the week we spent there. We stayed 2 nights at the Marriott Sky city (which has a free shuttle to the airport and to Disney, though you arrive about 30 mins. after park opening if you take the shuttle in the morning) and the rest of the time we stayed at the Marriott with a view of Victoria Harbor.

We haven't been to Shanghai yet, hoping to sneak a trip there sometime in the next few months. We will be heading to TDL in October 2018.

I went to Hong Kong Disneyland twice and going to Shanghai Disneyland this October. If you intend on only going to Hong Kong Disneyland during your time in Hong Kong, I would suggest staying at one of the 3 resorts there. Else, the park is easily accessible by the MRT (Subway) with a transfer at Sunny Bay to the Disneyland line. The Disneyland line has the themed trains and goes through the mountains. Would you also be interested in visiting another theme park there? Ocean Park is south of the Hong Kong main area and is now accessible by MRT. It is a huge marine park that completed in 2012 a huge transformation plan that brought amazing new attractions and it has the best Halloween special event in the world. Its location is also the most dramatic in the world for an amusement park.

I managed to get to both last year & found them both uniquely amazing.

Both are easily accesible by public transport, though HK a little further away (we stayed on site here). English was well known at both parks & in both cities.

Shanghai is HUGE! I'm talking HUGE!! If you go, split the park up into at least 2 days, and only do HALF the park in each day. Ex: we did the Adventure Isle side & watched the castle shows, parade & did a bit of Fantasyland. The next day we ROPE DROPPED Tron & other Tomorrowland stuff, moved onto Marvel, then onto the Fantasyland stuff we didnt hit the first day! We did 3 days total & managed to hit everything once & somethings multiple times. It takes too much time to cross the park to do otherwise!

Also for Shanghai, rope drop to the RIDE you want, the fp kiosk are a HOT FREAKING MESS first thing with lots of pushing. Head back to the kiosks AFTER a ride or two (and whatever you do do NOT buy fast passes from locals)

Hong Kong is MUCH smaller, it opens later & 2 of the lands open even later than that! But it is an incredible park! Grizzly Run, Mystic Manor, Festival of the Lion King & Wondrous Book are INSANELY AMAZING.

Hkdl's one downfall; the food prices, they're INSANE! Even the QS, bring in snacks/food & eat bfast before you go in to help with that!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!