By mistake I bought butter made with olive oil and sea salt

Spinning

<font color=deeppink>Give me a chunk of something
I was going to return it right after I put away the food. But then got busy. Now I feel it is too late. Bought it on Friday. If it wasn't butter sticks and something in a sealed container I would.
I bought the butter for baking. Do you think it would still be ok in pie crust or cookies? I usually buy salted butter. We could use it for toast and cooking. But I have 8 sticks.

I was going to return it right after I put away the food. But then got busy. Now I feel it is too late. Bought it on Friday. If it wasn't butter sticks and something in a sealed container I would.
I bought the butter for baking. Do you think it would still be ok in pie crust or cookies? I usually buy salted butter. We could use it for toast and cooking. But I have 8 sticks.

I've never heard of it. I wouldn't use it for pie crust or sweet baking -- I would think that the olive oil would have too strong a flavor. Could you use it for a pot pie or something savory (biscuit, etc.), or for sauteeing veggies?

You can freeze it for later, and then get the regular butter for your baking.

Just letting you know that if you return the butter, the store will likely get rid of it. Many stores defect food and some health and beauty products that get returned whether it's been opened or not. Also, where I work, if you were to bring a refrigerated/frozen product up to check out, and decide you didn't want it, we would not restock it. It would get thrown away. You may be thinking that it's ridiculous. However, there are many reasons for it. Among them are not knowing how long a customer has had something out of a refrigerater/freezer and potential tampering. At my store, we would accept the return from you, but we would then throw it away. I would not be allowed to tell you all of this at work either. I work at a major retailer. My sister works at a different major retailer. Both have similar policies.

On the other hand, I would not use it for anything sweet either. However, I would probably use it spread on regular bread. You can use it for any vegetable or meat cooking. If you would use olive oil in something, you can probably use the butter.

I have bought this kind of butter before--"on purpose";)
Taste it--it is really very good and I don't think you will notice a huge difference, the olive oil is not strong at all, not like evoo taste.
I freeze my butter, when I buy a lot of it to keep it fresh. If you don't like the flavor enough to use it up right away, pop it in the freezer.

An update -- I just did the same thing -- accidentally bought the olive oil and sea salt butter (4 pounds' worth)....Grr.

I was knee deep in making caramel corn for church, so I went ahead and used it. It worked out really well, and there was no olive oil flavor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter