BWV Boardwalk view!

Sue's Mum

DIS Veteran
If you want this view may I suggest that you state that you do not want a second floor room. We were allocated a second floor room on our very recent visit (studio) and we had a view of ................. a wall approximately 3ft 6ins high. It was directly above the outdoor tables for Big River Grille. All second floor rooms have a "wall", which, quite effectively, cuts down the amount of noise coming up from the boardwalk but obliterated almost all the view of the lake etc. It did have a slightly deeper balcony than many rooms but what is the point when all one can see is a wall! We immediately asked to be moved but had to wait three days until a similar room on the 4th floor became available as there were conventions going on at the time.

I expressed my dissatisfaction in no uncertain terms and said there was no point in my using additional points to book a boardwalk view when I could have requested a standard view. I was charged $30 for the move and it was worth every penny.

So, beware of these rooms.

Your post might help cure my case of BWV addonitis. I recently returned from a spectacular 5th floor BW view. But if I was very lucky to have gotten that, and there are many rooms with views like that one you described, maybe I don't need BW as a home resort?? Hmmm. Thanks for posting.

We've had a 2BR in that same space (above Big River Grille, 2nd floor). It didn't bother us. We sit on our balcony to enjoy the view, and from the balcony we could see the boardwalk.

Additionally, we like the view to see SSE and Epcot, which we could do. I know view is a very personal thing, and 2nd floor is a bit restricted directly down to the boardwalk, but we didn't think it was too bad.

Though, we're a typical SV family.

We had one of those second floor rooms once and love the balcony. Yes there's a wall instead of a railing so you have to stand to enjoy the view but the privacy is great.

Best balcony was my 5th floor 2 bedroom one. It was big like the 2nd floor ones but had the railing. We loved it!
floridadisney2009057.jpg

I had the 1 bedroom there one time and we just walked out to see the view. It was nice it was more protected from the weather than open balconies. One thing I didn't like about that room was it the noise from the boardwalk. It was June and people were out late. I always request top floor, usually end up with 3 or 4, that was the only time I got 2.

We've had a 2BR in that same space (above Big River Grille, 2nd floor). It didn't bother us. We sit on our balcony to enjoy the view, and from the balcony we could see the boardwalk.

Additionally, we like the view to see SSE and Epcot, which we could do. I know view is a very personal thing, and 2nd floor is a bit restricted directly down to the boardwalk, but we didn't think it was too bad.

Though, we're a typical SV family.

We could look over the wall only if we were standing up. I am talking about the wall which runs parallel with the door out on to the balcony, not the side walls. Also, all we could see from the room was a red wall - no water, or anything beyond the wall.

We had the same balcony on a 5th floor 1 bedroom. We had to stand up to see the boardwalk, but it didn't bother us - we loved that villa!

We've had the enclosed balconies as well. They aren't my favorite, but when I think that I could be paying the same number of points for the room at VWL with no balcony, or a tiny balcony and a view of the road at BCV, they don't seem bad at all.

I'm with you, Sue's Mum. I cross my fingers every time we check in at BWV hoping we don't get a balcony with the wall. DH uses a scooter and standing to look over the balcony wall is something he can only do for a couple of minutes at a time. We spend more time in our room than a lot of folks because DH can't handle the parks that well anymore, so the balcony view is very important to us. That said, when we are lucky enough to make it to WDW I am HAPPY no matter what.

Just back from BWV and also had an enclosed balcony (pool view)

I actually liked it just because we felt more secure about our little one when he was out on the balcony.

We did have a regular balcony for each of the bedrooms. The enclosed balcony was in the livingroom.

Our first DVC visit was a BWV BW View room above the screen door 2nd floor. It was a 2BR and the balcony was huge and did have that wall. We really like that room and still point it out as we walk by. Watching the nightlife on the BW was great-as was SE off in the distance, but we did lean up against the wall, and not sit there, no biggie really.

We had the same room a couple years ago. We don't own there so for us to get a Boardwalk view was great. We would take almost anything since the points are the same as preferred and no way we were getting a standard view. We LOVED it. It didn't bother us a bit. We also had a similar room above the store one year, same balcony

Just to add, we also like the hustle and bustle of boardwalk. It was cool to feel like you were in the "action" even in the room.

Here is a bit of a thread hijack. When can you request a floor? We just booked a two bedroom BW view for next October and it sounds like we should request something higher up. Can I have that request noted on the reservation?
Stephen

Request a high floor when you make the reservation (or call now if you've already made it). But don't have high expectations - its a request. We've owned at BW for a decade and in all those years they've met a request ONCE. High floors at the BW is a particularly popular request and can't be met for everyone.

But it isn't all bad. High floors far down from the elevators have the best views - but they are the least convenient rooms - particularly if you don't want to be taking a lot of stairs because you have strollers or aren't in great shape to be climbing multiple flights of stairs every time you go to your room. Low floor close to the elevator might be better if you have strollers, bad knees, kids visiting the pool three times a day and don't want long walks down the hallways.

Request a high floor when you make the reservation (or call now if you've already made it). But don't have high expectations - its a request. We've owned at BW for a decade and in all those years they've met a request ONCE. High floors at the BW is a particularly popular request and can't be met for everyone.

But it isn't all bad. High floors far down from the elevators have the best views - but they are the least convenient rooms - particularly if you don't want to be taking a lot of stairs because you have strollers or aren't in great shape to be climbing multiple flights of stairs every time you go to your room. Low floor close to the elevator might be better if you have strollers, bad knees, kids visiting the pool three times a day and don't want long walks down the hallways.

Thanks Crisi, I just called back and requested a high floor. No worries about the other issues since we will be without children and I am going to need all the hallways and stairs I can walk as well as my daily Boardwalk run to keep the F&W calories at bay (The buttonless pants will also be a big help).
Stephen

I agree with the comment "additional living room" We had a one bedroom across from the carny games. It is much larger than other balconies. Our girls spent most of the time we spent in our villa out there. It was nice having an extra room. We will have 3 additional grand children this next trip so I'm requesting second floor room for our next trip. I do prefer a balcony with better view. You can just see it in this picture past all the party animals. It was my birthday and this was the sugar crash after the cake.
4282903558_daf7c60e71_b.jpg

We had probably that same room and hated it! Due to the balcony being so deep the room was so dark! On top of that we had new view due to the signs that hang above the Screen Door entrance. Mom went the lobby and expressed her extreme displeasure (especially since we are DVC members - we own at Boardwalk) and kept hearing that there was nothing they could do. Finally she talked to a manager who did find us a room in the courtyard right near the Boardwalk which was great! At Christmas its like having your own personal CHristmas tree and we were pulling "free" wi-fi from Wyland Gallery!

As far as we know we didnt get charged anything for the room change though.

Our fave view is overlooking the "village green", the grassy area opposite Flying Fish, with the boat docks on the left and the lobby area on the right. It is especially colourful at Christmas. Lovely.

Our fave view is overlooking the "village green", the grassy area opposite Flying Fish, with the boat docks on the left and the lobby area on the right. It is especially colourful at Christmas. Lovely.

Just to clarify, village green view rooms are preferred view and they are all studios. So, if that is what you want, be sure to book a studio in the preferred view category and request "village green" but it will not be guaranteed. There are about 35 or 40 of those studios, however, so you actually have a decent chance of having the request fulfilled. Those rooms are also close to the elevators.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter