Buying resale from the UK

meryll83

All it takes is faith and trust...
Hi All,

Are there any recommended resellers for those of us interested in making a purchase from the UK?

Anything to be aware of, or is the transaction relatively straight forward?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup2

Not sure about preferable agents but just wanted to check that you are aware on the restrictions for using your points if you buy resale?

Not sure about preferable agents but just wanted to check that you are aware on the restrictions for using your points if you buy resale?

Yep thanks Joh, we've decided we probably wouldn't trade points for use at other locations anyway - but thanks for making me aware :goodvibes

Probably still a couple of years off saving enough to buy in, but wanted to do some more solid research to know what to really expect!

We used these guys at Resales DVC although a quick google search will bring others up. We did think these guys made it an easy process.

Hey :wave2:
I bought into DVC via resale from the UK had no issues. But I would recommend you consider how you will be sending the money to the USA because some banks charge huge fees or worse a % of the total transfer. depending on what your banks charges are it may be worth checking out people like UKForex.

I used fidelity for both my contracts and they were good. We used hifx.co.uk for the $ transfers who were excellent:)

We used TTS Jason was great took 6 weeks from offer to close also beware of bank charges and if you and seller are non USA you need to get tax number and this costs you about £100 per doc as apostle is required now for IRS we saved over 50% buying resale and the benefits you loose are not really worth it to us guys across the pond we brought 250 at SSR this got us a 4 night Disney cruise so bad exchange really of points .

Just resurrecting this, are these still the preferred vendors?

Also, is there anything to be mindful over in choosing your use year month?
We're thinking of getting approx 1 weeks worth of points and rolling over every other year so we'll only visit once every two years for a fortnight.

We used sell my time share now, some people did not recommend on here. However I found they were quick and efficient. However the closing company was not, this could have been down to the sellers, as we are in the UK I was not going to phone, I got the paperwork back quickly but found out it didn't get sent to a disney for ROFR for nearly a month. Again with closing, I sent everything back including the finds via HIFX, however the date for closing came and went, when I emailed it transpired the seller had not returned their paper work. Now waiting for paperwork from a disney with membership number. Our offer was accepted at the end of November 2014. So this has taken forever.
The contract has no points until Feb 2016, so was not overly worried.

The worst thing was that the closing company they used charged very high closing fees. However the total cost for 150 SSR was OK. Just wish the exchange rate had been more like 2014 rates!

We just took out a regular loan with our bank, any financing options that may be offered to you from the U.S. are always going to be subject to currency fluctuations and forex fees so it doesn't really seem like it would be a good idea. As far as I am aware there are no UK based resale companies but I could be wrong.

Recommend The Timeshare Store located in Orlando. Have bought and sold contracts with their assistance. Always timely, efficient and honest. Great reputation.

This is a good question - are there financing options available to the UK? Or only if you're buying direct?

you can organise any finance you like within the UK. difficult to organise US finance from the UK even Disney doesn't do it you have to be in orlando.

We saved up and bought our points gradually so we always paid cash.

Can you still use resale points for other resorts though? We are looking into this ATM but just working on the numbers and whether it will work for us.

We used TTS Jason was great took 6 weeks from offer to close also beware of bank charges and if you and seller are non USA you need to get tax number and this costs you about £100 per doc as apostle is required now for IRS we saved over 50% buying resale and the benefits you loose are not really worth it to us guys across the pond we brought 250 at SSR this got us a 4 night Disney cruise so bad exchange really of points .
Just noticed your point about tax numbers - do the agents sort this out for you as part of the purchase?

Just noticed your point about tax numbers - do the agents sort this out for you as part of the purchase?

We bought from foreign sellers and never had to deal with this. Isn't it just sellers that need a tax number to claim back any tax they pay on the sales price as you only pay tax on the profit.

However, if you do need tax numbers this isn't usually something agents help with.

Excuse my simpleness, but can someone talk me through the cash transfer using someone like hifx?

So I set up an account with them.
Do a bank transfer of GBP to that new account.
(How do I get the correct $ amount I need accurately?)
Then do a bank transfer of USD from there to an account DVC will notify me of?

What's the advantage of this over something like FairFX, who I have a currency card with already? Or do DVC only take transfers rather than card payments?

And finally, what do people find is the best way of paying their annual maintenance fees?

Thanks again for all the help! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts