Buying first DVC

OHIOVACATIONER

DIS Veteran
I am looking to be a first time DVC owner. Reading through all of the threads there is definitely a lot of studying to do to get this process wrapped around my head. I would really like to buy at BLT but with the expense I am considering SSR. If I buy a contract at SSR for 150 points then at 11 mos. I can make a reservation at SSR. At 7 months I can try to change that reservation to BLT based on availability. Is that correct?

Second scenario....I buy 150 at SSR . Later on I find a 50 point contract at BLT and buy it. At 11 months can I make a reservation at BLT since it is now one of my home resorts? Can I only use 50 points at BLT or can I combine my points and have 200 pts to use at BLT at the 11 month window?
Hopefully this makes sense. Definitely a lot to learn and that is my goal is to learn before I purchase.

Thank you

At 11 months you can use only the BLT points at BLT. You have to wait until 7 months to try to use the SSR points there.

I am looking to be a first time DVC owner. Reading through all of the threads there is definitely a lot of studying to do to get this process wrapped around my head. I would really like to buy at BLT but with the expense I am considering SSR. If I buy a contract at SSR for 150 points then at 11 mos. I can make a reservation at SSR. At 7 months I can try to change that reservation to BLT based on availability. Is that correct?

Second scenario....I buy 150 at SSR . Later on I find a 50 point contract at BLT and buy it. At 11 months can I make a reservation at BLT since it is now one of my home resorts? Can I only use 50 points at BLT or can I combine my points and have 200 pts to use at BLT at the 11 month window?
Hopefully this makes sense. Definitely a lot to learn and that is my goal is to learn before I purchase.

Thank you
If we could boot strap relatively cheap SSR points into a stay at a more in demand resort at 11 months we’d all own 25 points at say the VGF (or our personal favorite more expensive DVC resort) and a gazillion SSR points. :)

I can add that you should ofc choose a use year which fits your vacation habits. If you vacation habits happens to be between jan-sep then it would be easier to switch/book a resort at 7 months. In that case you could buy SSR. If you travel late sep-early jan then you would need to buy BLT to secure a room there.

All resorts are different had all have positives and negatives. We all don’t drive the same car, so why would we all like the same resort. SSR is by far the largest DVC resort. It also has the least expensive maintenance fees. It is also a short walk to Disney Springs and there is a golf course there. VGF is a one of the smallest resorts. Very hard to get into if you don’t own there. It is also uses the most points to stay there. It is on the monorail, has higher maintenance fees than SSR. Is it more luxurious, yes. Does it cost a lot more to buy in, yes. All the resorts are nice in their own way. You just have to decide what is the best fit for you. Good luck.

Last edited:

I'm going to reiterate "buy where you want to stay". While some people can work their SSR points into reservations at other resorts at 7 months, the growth of DVC has been slowly eroding the ability to get studios at many resorts at the 7 month opening during many times of the year. If you're going to buy enough points to get a 1 bedroom, you'd have greater ability to book non-home resorts at 7 months.

Also, consider how many points you need to book at your desired resort. My wife and I own at BLT, with a combination of resale and retail points. We like 10 night vacations, so we sized our purchase to handle a 10 day lake view studio vacation during February. If we use our points to go to GFV, we would have a 7 night vacation. If we stayed at resorts that offered "value" studios, we might be able to stay for 15 nights. Likewise, if we decided to go to "theme park view" studio at BLT, we'd lose 3 or 4 nights of our stay, or "standard view" studio might give us another night or two. The two of us are fine in a BLT studio, but some day I'm sure we'll fall prey to "add-on-itis" and pick up another 100 points to stay in one bedrooms instead of a studio...

Buy where you want to stay can be good advice, it can be poor advice. All depends on circumstances. If you want 1 beds, particularly Jan to Sept, avoiding major holidays, then buy SSR may be better advice.

Buy where you don't mind staying if you can't change your reservation at seven months out. Book your home resort at 11 months out and then see what is available at seven months out (or start stalking the RAT just before that).

Buy where you want to stay can be good advice, it can be poor advice. All depends on circumstances. If you want 1 beds, particularly Jan to Sept, avoiding major holidays, then buy SSR may be better advice.

Not OP but in a similar position in that money obviously will go further if bought into SSR. Your above quoted scenario is actually us January to September, family of 5, scared of spring break and won't go then. Which user year is best in that situation? Am I correct that studios go first, then 2 bedrooms, then 1 bedrooms? Thanks.

Not OP but in a similar position in that money obviously will go further if bought into SSR. Your above quoted scenario is actually us January to September, family of 5, scared of spring break and won't go then. Which user year is best in that situation? Am I correct that studios go first, then 2 bedrooms, then 1 bedrooms? Thanks.

2 bedrooms will go if they are lock-offs and the studios are taken away from them.

:earsboy: Bill

Which user year is best in that situation?

The best Use Year is one that starts right before you typically travel. Ideally, you never want to travel in the last 3-4 months of your UY.

An example:

I prefer to travel in November and December when the holiday decorations are up. October is the best UY for me. Traveling in August and September would be extra risky for me as I would be more likely to lose points if I had to cancel.

(UY has nothing at all to do with when you can book your stays.)

Yes 1 beds go last. I'm an SSR owner who goes in summer. The only 1 beds I struggle with at 7 months are AKV Club (I could have booked AKV value though for my 2 intended weeks of travel in July, August) , BLT standard, BWV standard (got that on waitlist this summer though). Everything else including VGF, BLT lake view, BWV garden, BCV, CCV, BRV, AKV (Savannah and Standard in Kidani) all wide open and easy to book.
I love my SSR points for the 1 bed. I can book VGF and stay in a 1 bed easier, and for less cost, than a VGF owner can who only bought enough points for a studio.
Food for thought if you travel DVC off season in particular and don't mind the extra dues.
Another tactic is if you can get a studio (and are prepared to stay in one) the profit on renting the left over points will probably just about cover all the dues for the year.

Another vote for buy where you want to stay. Just remember, over the years that also may change.
Booking at 11 months and then changing at 7 months is becoming more difficult and depending on the time of year, almost impossible.
It may work for some, but for us buying where you don't mind staying would become very frustrating in time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!