Buying at Aulani.

Lupeix

Mouseketeer
We are considering buying DVC at Aulani. I am a Disney fanatic, so are my kids. But the hubs tolerates Disney for only a small amount of time for the kids (so when we go to WDW or DLR he stays on the resort 75% of the time). He only stays in one bedroom suites when we vacation anywhere because he doesn't like sleeping with the kids. We have been DVC renters so far, and at this point we would likely have bought a contract with what we spent on rent (although the advantage of renting is always getting what we want at 11 months so far). He really likes the idea of buying a timeshare in Hawaii though (that's the kind of vacation he likes), and we will use it almost every year (~June, 5-6 nights, before the 23rd, our schools let out early June). If we buy there, how hard will it be to book at WDW or DLR if we are flexible about where to stay and we book primarily 1 bedrooms? It will be once every 2-3 years. I rather not take my oldest out of school, so that locks us into popular times. But we live on the west coast, so DLR can likely be any weekend. Also any tips on how to get a reduced dues contract? (Just stalk the listings?). We thought this may be the year to get a very good deal resale, and maybe add direct later on (when the kids are older and we want 2 bedrooms). TIA.

We are considering buying DVC at Aulani. I am a Disney fanatic, so are my kids. But the hubs tolerates Disney for only a small amount of time for the kids (so when we go to WDW or DLR he stays on the resort 75% of the time). He only stays in one bedroom suites when we vacation anywhere because he doesn't like sleeping with the kids. We have been DVC renters so far, and at this point we would likely have bought a contract with what we spent on rent (although the advantage of renting is always getting what we want at 11 months so far). He really likes the idea of buying a timeshare in Hawaii though (that's the kind of vacation he likes), and we will use it almost every year (~June, 5-6 nights, before the 23rd, our schools let out early June). If we buy there, how hard will it be to book at WDW or DLR if we are flexible about where to stay and we book primarily 1 bedrooms? It will be once every 2-3 years. I rather not take my oldest out of school, so that locks us into popular times. But we live on the west coast, so DLR can likely be any weekend. Also any tips on how to get a reduced dues contract? (Just stalk the listings?). We thought this may be the year to get a very good deal resale, and maybe add direct later on (when the kids are older and we want 2 bedrooms). TIA.
You will almost never be able to book a room at Disneyland right now with Grand Cal being the only choice. You can sometimes get lucky but unless you own there it is pretty much impossible

It looks like you are talking about WDW in FL? In my opinion, you will be able to find availability at 7 months especially 1 bedroom. Studios tend to go quicker. Saratoga is usually available for sure. There is always the choice of split stays. We just did 1 of these, it was fun. It would also give your husband variety as it seems he stays at the hotel. We are waiting for ROFR of an add on at Aulani, we also own at Saratoga Springs. I would not be afraid of not finding anything at 7 months. I hope this helps you. Although, I think you will have a hard time getting a subsidized contract for matinence dues though. They do not come up that often and if they do they get snatched up right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, if I am reading this correctly most 1BR at WDW are not hard to book over the summer
That is correct.

Now that said, a very nice non-Disney timeshare can be had on Hawaii via resale for often a thousand dollars or less, many of which have more in the way of beachfront suites and real ocean view rooms.

Have you been to Aulani? It is in no way a typical Hawaiian timeshare.

We live in Vancouver and bought our first DVC contract 5 years ago at OKW with a view to using the points at Aulani and Grand Californian. We would have bought Aulani, but there were slim pickings on resale way back then. We have since added on 3 more resale contract at Aulani. While the maintenance fees are on the higher end, the price per point (most of our purchases have been ~$85 pp) and the life on contract seem to make it one of the better deals out there. We do do spend a lot of time at Aulani, but have also used our points for VGC (4 times), AKL (3 times), Riv (once), BCV (once), BWV (3 times) and OKW (once). We typically book around the 7 month mark and always stay in 1 bedrooms.

FiinFogg, I just made my first DVC offer on SSR hoping to visit Aulani as often as WDW, and using 1BR accommodations.Now you make me fear I might get addonitis!

FiinFogg, I just made my first DVC offer on SSR hoping to visit Aulani as often as WDW, and using 1BR accommodations.Now you make me fear I might get addonitis!
There is no “might” when it comes to addonitis. It is only “when.”

(I say this as I have made an offer on my fifth add-on contract...)

At least you plan on using at Aulani every year, and in the most difficult to get time period, in June, so owning in Aulani makes sense, you need the 11 months home resort advantage for June. As long as you don't mind getting any resort, you shouldn't have trouble getting into WDW in the summer time in a 1 bedroom unit.

I own two 2 subsidized Aulani contracts. They do come up, but you do have to stalk and be patient. It took me about 6 months to get both subsidized contracts, with daily stalking.

Great3

That is correct.

Now that said, a very nice non-Disney timeshare can be had on Hawaii via resale for often a thousand dollars or less, many of which have more in the way of beachfront suites and real ocean view rooms.

Have you been to Aulani? It is in no way a typical Hawaiian timeshare.

We have two small children. I am sure there are great time shares in Hawaii, but I feel Disney caters to kids the best. Aulani will allow us to have a nice time in Hawaii while my kids are being properly entertained. We have rented DVC at WDW several times, and love it, so I would like the option to go to WDW with my points every 2-3 years. And now that my youngest is 4, I don't mind not staying at specific resorts. We end up taking Minnie Vans everywhere if not walking distance anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!