Butts in the Park

Have you been raised to slut-shame, like most people born before the 00s?

Stereotype much? Oh honey you seem to think anyone older than you is a prude. Hippies of my generation invented short shorts and burning bras. Your generation has nothing on the free love of the 70s. I guess you think no one over the age of twenty has ever had sex or smoked pot. Your parents could probably teach you a thing or two. But the funny thing is when you have teenaged daughters all the sudden you become protective and concerned for their well being. So until you've been around the block and back don't get all righteous on everyone.

Holy crum, this thread is spiralling. It is not "slut-shaming" to not want to see someone's bare butt while eating a meal with your children (which was what OP was talking about), or without your children for that matter. If I wanted to see a bare butt while eating, I would go to a strip club, cuz heck, even the girls at Hooters tend to be more covered than the girl OP discussed and others I saw in the parks. I agree with a PP that body shaming would be having different standards for different categories of people based on age, weight, etc, and saying that only certain people should dress a certain way.

There has to be some sort of standards or what's wrong with everyone running around naked all day? To be clear, I am NOT saying that having half your butt exposed is the same as parading around in your birthday suit, but if there are not socially-accepted or business-enforced standards, then there really is nothing to stop people from walking in public naked. Maybe some people wouldn't have a problem with that, but plenty of others would.

Not liking how someone else dresses does not make them a body-shamer. Raising kids with a sense of modesty and propriety does not mean someone is raising their kids to be ashamed of their body. Everyone parents differently.

There's nothing wrong with the naked body, but the fact of the matter is that, at least here in the US, the concept of nakedness has become very sexualized and is typically seen as inappropriate in the public sphere. Because of that, it is clearly a distraction that people notice and talk about.

Bare butt implies that the entire buttocks is shown. Cheeks peeking out is not the same as that, and clearly that is socially acceptable and t has been for a few decades. I'm in my mid 40's, cheeks have been hanging out for as long as I can remember and I don't see people walking around nude yet. I think we have a long way to go before that happens.
I wore my fair share of "daisy dukes" and my dd's generation is wearing their version 20+ years later. At some point the pearl clutchers will have to accept these articles of clothing as part of fashion.

I wonder if ya'll have seen romphims in the wild...let's just say that religious decisions in childhood are often very easily discerned. And that can be at the coffee shop I'm at right now, or at 8 in the morning. Maybe I'll see some next week at WDW! I'll report back:)

I have. My son is not wearing those in public. (I doubt he wants to, and since he's 22, I couldn't actually stop him, but he would get an earful about modesty and appropriateness). Modesty is not just for women.

Stereotype much? Oh honey you seem to think anyone older than you is a prude. Hippies of my generation invented short shorts and burning bras. Your generation has nothing on the free love of the 70s. I guess you think no one over the age of twenty has ever had sex or smoked pot. Your parents could probably teach you a thing or two. But the funny thing is when you have teenaged daughters all the sudden you become protective and concerned for their well being. So until you've been around the block and back don't get all righteous on everyone.

And you think the "hippies" of your generation have something on the '80s or the '60s? Glad you have pride, but all of this stuff is nothing new...just taking on new and different forms.

Bare butt implies that the entire buttocks is shown. Cheeks peeking out is not the same as that, and clearly that is socially acceptable and t has been for a few decades. I'm in my mid 40's, cheeks have been hanging out for as long as I can remember and I don't see people walking around nude yet. I think we have a long way to go before that happens.
I wore my fair share of "daisy dukes" and my dd's generation is wearing their version 20+ years later. At some point the pearl clutchers will have to accept these articles of clothing as part of fashion.

Does "partially-bare butt" work better? I would also like to say that there's a huge variety of these short shorts, some with just a little cheek peeking out, and others which seriously leave half of the butt exposed. Some thong style bathing suits and underwear cover more than some of these styles of shorts.

That being said, I don't know that having any cheek exposed has ever been socially accepted. Just because it happens from time to time does not mean it's accepted. Nor has it always been a popular fad. I grew up in the nineties and, with the exception of pop stars like Britney Spears, you really didn't see teenagers wearing shorts that exposed part of their butt.

As to not seeing people in public naked, it does happen. Not all the time, everywhere, but people do get arrested for it. Heck, people have gotten arrested and charged with indecent exposure for wearing the kind of shorts in public that this entire thread is about. All I'm saying is if there weren't laws and socially accepted guidelines on dress, then there would probably be much more nakedness in public.

Lastly, it's rather rude to refer to people as "pearl clutchers" simply because they hold an opinion that differs from yours.

Modesty is a bu-lls-hit term invented to control women. Unless it's a health reason (which has been established: it is not, considering what is spread in a theme park anyway), dress code are useless. Many culture have women being shirtless (people in France remove their top to tan at the beach) and it doesn't mean anything about the value of the person. If you react intensely to naked teenagers bottoms, instead of blaming the a-s-s, try looking at your reaction and it's source. Have you been raised to slut-shame, like most people born before the 00s? Your own reaction is your responsability. We should certainly not make rules based on random moral preference that not even a majority share...

Teach your kids what you want. But you can't shield them from viewing butt. #Factoflife
You mean everyone over the age of 17? Yea, sorry, not going to take social cues from teenagers.

And I am certainly not going to follow moral preferences from them.

Does "partially-bare butt" work better? I would also like to say that there's a huge variety of these short shorts, some with just a little cheek peeking out, and others which seriously leave half of the butt exposed. Some thong style bathing suits and underwear cover more than some of these styles of shorts.

That being said, I don't know that having any cheek exposed has ever been socially accepted. Just because it happens from time to time does not mean it's accepted. Nor has it always been a popular fad. I grew up in the nineties and, with the exception of pop stars like Britney Spears, you really didn't see teenagers wearing shorts that exposed part of their butt.

As to not seeing people in public naked, it does happen. Not all the time, everywhere, but people do get arrested for it. Heck, people have gotten arrested and charged with indecent exposure for wearing the kind of shorts in public that this entire thread is about. All I'm saying is if there weren't laws and socially accepted guidelines on dress, then there would probably be much more nakedness in public.

Lastly, it's rather rude to refer to people as "pearl clutchers" simply because they hold an opinion that differs from yours.

You may want to clutch your pearls now (and that's not a insult unless you take it as one) because in the States, I can't think of anywhere you'd get arrested for butt cheeks... you're being hyperbolic.

Last edited:
Don't find the short shorts tasteful and my daughter won't be wearing them until she's old enough to live on her own (and hopefully not then either) but aside from that I don't give it much thought. Saw plenty of it at WDW this summer and it was more a momentary inner eye roll than anything else.

Don't find the short shorts tasteful and my daughter won't be wearing them until she's old enough to live on her own (and hopefully not then either) but aside from that I don't give it much thought. Saw plenty of it at WDW this summer and it was more a momentary inner eye roll than anything else.

Same. We just got back from WDW on Saturday. Never seen so many butt cheeks dangling out as this trip. I find the trend very distasteful but yep, we just roll our eyes and keep going. Certainly not going to give it much thought.

You may want to clutch your pearls now (and that's not a insult unless you take it as one) because in the States, I can't think of anywhere you'd get arrested for butt cheeks... you're being hyperbolic.

I'm on my phone and not sure how to post links, but Google "Milligan Wise arrest booty shorts" and it should be the first article. 2 ladies arrested for indecent exposure for wearing booty shorts. If you do a little research, you can find others. Several state laws and local ordnances prohibit any exposure of the butt and/or consider it indecent exposure. So, NO, I'm not being hyperbolic.

Also, since their was a mention of thongs in the unedited post (and since thongs= exposed butt cheeks), many public pools, water parks, State parks, and beaches prohibit thong swim suits and arrests are regularly made for violators. Myrtle Beach is just one example of this.

Considering that some places in the US expressly prohibit the partial exposure of the butt and people do sometimes get arrested for having a partially exposed butt, I don't think that clothing that partially exposes the butt have become "socially acceptable" as was mentioned up thread.

Outside of the numerous state and local laws, booty shorts wouldn't generally be seen as appropriate attire in schools, most jobs, fancy restaurants, country clubs-- pretty much the majority of places that have a dress code in place.

If you grew up in the 90's and think cheeks hanging out only happened from time to time and only on pop stars you must not have gotten out much. You can google fashion trends through the 70's and find plenty of examples.
Pearl clutching is just an analogy for being shocked so no it isn't rude, it's an expression. Lighten up.

If you grew up in the 90's and think cheeks hanging out only happened from time to time and only on pop stars you must not have gotten out much. You can google fashion trends through the 70's and find plenty of examples.
Pearl clutching is just an analogy for being shocked so no it isn't rude, it's an expression. Lighten up.

I never said it hasn't happened, merely that it hasn't always been a popular trend and that it wasn't widespread in the nineties. You said that it has been a socially accepted fashion trend for decades and I was giving my opinion that it wasn't popular enough to have been socially accepted in the nineties. Sure, other decades have had their own versions, but it has not been continuously popular, let alone socially accepted, for the past few decades.

Secondly, "pearl clutchers" does have a negative connotation and is seen as a derogatory term. I don't personally take offense to comments given by people on an online forum, but I think it's funny how people resort to childish name calling when someone disagrees with their view.

Yeah, I've never thought the term "pearl clutching" was rude, at all. I'm still puzzled at the suggestion, but anything can be taken too seriously on the internet. I actually use it to make statements more light hearted, but whatever. My 86 year old, deeply religious, traditionally southern Nana laughs when I tell her stories that start "Hey Nana, hold to your pearls" and then usually some crazy dating story.

It's not a Disney thing - it's just that such a large quantity of people are gathered in a smaller area so you notice it more. I find it very entertaining as long as it's not my daughters lol. And in fact, I'm a little jealous of these adorable young things and their cute little "cheeks"! Funny thing - the ad on this page of my disboards thread is for tiny little denim cutoff shorts!!

I have to laugh at everyone complaining about seeing butts. Try spending your time in a wheelchair. You get up close and personal with butts! FWIW, I was born in the 50's and I have seen showing butt cheeks as fashion my whole life! Of course I can wear short shorts and nobody will ever know. I guess that is one advantage of a wheelchair!

Oh my goodness, me too. My DH was like "omg, I just saw a girl in underwear!". I was like no honey those are technically sold as shorts but yes in my opinion they are underwear, jean underwear. It was rediculous the number of girls wearing those things. I know it's hot but really? And some of them did not have thigh gaps and I was thinking wow her thighs must be on fire!

I have to laugh at everyone complaining about seeing butts. Try spending your time in a wheelchair. You get up close and personal with butts! FWIW, I was born in the 50's and I have seen showing butt cheeks as fashion my whole life! Of course I can wear short shorts and nobody will ever know. I guess that is one advantage of a wheelchair!
Yep.

I've never seen more butts than when I have to use my scooter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!