Buttermilk - how do you make it???

Cruise04

<font color=CC0099>Oh that is so incredibly cool!<
I know there is a way to "make" buttermilk. Does anyone know how much milk vs. how much vinegar (I think that's the ingredient)? I need to have 1 cup of buttermilk for a cake that I'm going to make and I really don't want to buy a quart of it for only a cup.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Use 1 Tablespoon of Vinegar or Lemon Juice, then add your milk to make 1 cup. I personally have never used the lemon juice, but it is listed that way on my emergency substitutions list.

from my banana cake recipe book.

"to sour milk, add 2 tsp (10ml) lemon juice or vinegar to 1/2 cup (125ml) milk and let stand for 10 min."

For 1 cup, you'd need 4 tsp.

1 tsp= 5ml
1 Tbsp=15ml

Just be aware that it may change the consistency of your finished product! I now keep buttermilk as a staple in my fridge for pancakes, biscuits, cakes, waffles, b/c the texture is SO much nicer with the real thing!

BTW, I always used lemon juice just to add a little extra flavor.

I have a tub of powdered buttermilk that I keep in my fridge. Just add water! Not sure what the brand on it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!