Bus Stop Etiquette Question

I'm stressed out just reading how much goes thru people's minds when they get on a bus...

If you're early or it's not crowded, sit down. As long as you get on, who cares in what order. If it gets crowded and people gather by the curb, go by the curb so you don't miss out. We've never shoved someone nor been shoved. I'm not taking away from peoples' stories, I'm sure someone out there has shoved someone else while getting on a bus, but that's the exception and not the norm.

It's also interesting hearing the stories about people getting shoved... but no stories about that time you shoved someone to get ahead. Surely those folks must be out there? Are there any shovers on the Dis who will share their experience? :) What drives you? Was it a good push, more of a nudge, or maybe a full contact step-and-block? How did you effectively leverage your stroller / backpack / other implement? I'd like to hear from the other side.
We have over 30 trips and have never seen people shoving.
With the live times being posted now, there should be no more guessing what bus is coming or when it's coming. If I see that our bus is next, I will stand in line or start the line, the people sitting has the same information that I have and can do the same or stay seated it's their choice.
I also have my stroller folded and ready, not holding everyone up by doing this in front of the bus door.

We have over 30 trips and have never seen people shoving.
With the live times being posted now, there should be no more guessing what bus is coming or when it's coming. If I see that our bus is next, I will stand in line or start the line, the people sitting has the same information that I have and can do the same or stay seated it's their choice.
I also have my stroller folded and ready, not holding everyone up by doing this in front of the bus door.
Can I tell you how many times I've secretly wanted to whop someone upside the head for standing around with an empty stroller and not folding it, or taking out their 25 bags, until their turn to get on the bus comes. I know it's a pain to hold 25 bags. You brought them, figure that out before you bring all your belongings. But really, don't wait till the last second to get your stuff ready to load a bus. Not unless you have a sleeping child.

I'm stressed out just reading how much goes thru people's minds when they get on a bus...

If you're early or it's not crowded, sit down. As long as you get on, who cares in what order. If it gets crowded and people gather by the curb, go by the curb so you don't miss out. We've never shoved someone nor been shoved. I'm not taking away from peoples' stories, I'm sure someone out there has shoved someone else while getting on a bus, but that's the exception and not the norm.

It's also interesting hearing the stories about people getting shoved... but no stories about that time you shoved someone to get ahead. Surely those folks must be out there? Are there any shovers on the Dis who will share their experience? :) What drives you? Was it a good push, more of a nudge, or maybe a full contact step-and-block? How did you effectively leverage your stroller / backpack / other implement? I'd like to hear from the other side.

I don't shove but yesterday, if it should appease you, I did line cut lol. I was switching to another turnstile at the same time as two...I hesitate to call them ladies based on their attire...people were doing the same. I hustled, they did not, and one loudly and snidely made a comment about the immorality of line cutters.

I saw 'em, but hey, if you want to go ahead, ya gotta move faster than molasses. My fast pass for splash mountain was awaiting!

Last night, I thought a little tiny old Asian lady was going to take a swing at a very confused mom for a perceived slight during the (cancelled) fireworks. She thought the woman was criticizing her for cutting through the parade crowd to get a better seat on the curb so she cussed her out for doing so. (I didn't hear the second lady say anything but the Asian lady's family was so very obnoxious and had been my entertainment for the last 10 minutes, so I suspect the mom's expression was...expressive). Disneyland, a magical place, where people snap due to imaginary slights from strangers.

Can I tell you how many times I've secretly wanted to whop someone upside the head for standing around with an empty stroller and not folding it, or taking out their 25 bags, until their turn to get on the bus comes. I know it's a pain to hold 25 bags. You brought them, figure that out before you bring all your belongings. But really, don't wait till the last second to get your stuff ready to load a bus. Not unless you have a sleeping child.
And don't try to park your stroller in the wheelchair box and then tell the driver that you aren't closing it because you don't know how. And no it doesn't matter if you are " concierge."

Yes, that has happened. A woman figured that since she didn't know how to fold her granddaughter's stroller she could load as a wheelchair. The bus driver folded it.

Preach it sister.

Yes! Why in the world do people stand there for 15 minutes waiting for the bus, watch other people getting on the bus with their folded strollers and then wait until they are standing in the doorway of the bus to even start folding the stroller, taking the bags out of it, etc??? At least start getting ready to get on the bus when the bus pulls up to the bus stop. There's no need to make everyone else wait while you get yourself on the bus.

Yes! Why in the world do people stand there for 15 minutes waiting for the bus, watch other people getting on the bus with their folded strollers and then wait until they are standing in the doorway of the bus to even start folding the stroller, taking the bags out of it, etc??? At least start getting ready to get on the bus when the bus pulls up to the bus stop. There's no need to make everyone else wait while you get yourself on the bus.
Don't you know?

They paid THOUSANDS of dollars for this vacation.

one day of carrying 25 bags and I instituted the backpack rule. If it didn't fit in the one backpack I was bringing to the park, it did not go. Other than prescription medication, there is nothing I can't get at the parks in an emergency- diapers, food, clothing etc. I have never thought I should have brought XYor Z to the park and didn't.

Really? Having to line up in an orderly fashion? :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
I thought the same thing...I can only remember staying at Values, and it doesnt bother me one bit lining up in the "corral". I laughed out loud when I read your comment! How do these people handle ride lines??

'These people' have no issue lining up in an orderly fashion, I just disagree with the idea that the bus situation at the moderate and deluxe resorts are not orderly. I travel to WDW a lot, and always use the buses (with an occasional Uber ride), and my experience is that that the corralled lines are not needed in order for there to be order. What I do have an issue with is having to stand out without any covering in the variety of weather conditions that occur at WDW. I would also not enter an uncovered ride line that is outside, nor do I enter ride lines that are longer than 20 minutes, this works for me, and people should vacation however works for them.

If standing out in uncovered lines at your resort works for you, that's great, it doesn't work for me, so I choose resorts where the transportation works for me. I am not sure why anyone would assume that I am incapable of lining up in an orderly fashion, just because I don't like the outdoor uncovered lines at value resorts, that's just absurd.

Last night, I thought a little tiny old Asian lady was going to take a swing at a very confused mom for a perceived slight during the (cancelled) fireworks. She thought the woman was criticizing her for cutting through the parade crowd to get a better seat on the curb so she cussed her out for doing so. (I didn't hear the second lady say anything but the Asian lady's family was so very obnoxious and had been my entertainment for the last 10 minutes, so I suspect the mom's expression was...expressive). Disneyland, a magical place, where people snap due to imaginary slights from strangers.

Although normally everyone was well behaved when I've been there, there was a time or two when the fireworks on the ground were more entertaining than what was in the sky.

Agree with everyone's comments on the strollers. I once heard a husband say that they should leave the empty stroller up so they could use it to keep everyone else back - sort of a moving road block. It's one thing to absentmindedly not collapse the stroller before trying to board, but to use it as a tactical device to move through the crowd and then hold everyone up is inexcusable.

Although normally everyone was well behaved when I've been there, there was a time or two when the fireworks on the ground were more entertaining than what was in the sky.

Agree with everyone's comments on the strollers. I once heard a husband say that they should leave the empty stroller up so they could use it to keep everyone else back - sort of a moving road block. It's one thing to absentmindedly not collapse the stroller before trying to board, but to use it as a tactical device to move through the crowd and then hold everyone up is inexcusable.

They know it too. Can't help rude people who are intent on being rude. I think Tokyo DL may be my new favorite park simply based on the fact that I couldn't understand stupid conversations like that and I didn't get rammed by a stroller or ECV even once. I do understand that they are really useful, even necessary for a lot of people, but so many people use them for evil. (Or at least, careless)

We stay deluxe and the bus stops drive me a little bonkers. I do like fairness, lines and order. If there is already a line when we arrive, I respect it. When we get to a bus stop and there is nobody else there, I usually grab a spot on the curb and claim my 'first in line' spot. My anxiety starts when big groups of people join the area and rather than line up behind us, they stand right next to us, also on the curb. And, just like that, nobody can tell which of us was there first. Sometimes when we are first at the bus stop and see a bunch of other people coming, I will tell my kids and DH to sort of make a line with the four of us...then maybe people will get the point and line up behind us. But, unfortunately, my kids and DH usually just roll their eyes at me. And sometimes...GASP...my DH will actually walk to the back and sit on the bench. But that's not the line!! :rotfl: He is so chill...and I am the type A.

If also drives me a little nuts when we start a line somewhere on the curb, and then the bus stops 4 feet past where we are. Suddenly you go from being first to being nowhere near the open bus doors. Funny...but not funny :crowded:

I'd like to see something like this at the deluxe bus stops. Just substitute the business attire for tank tops, shorts and flip flops! Come on Disney, the chairs could be Mickey themed and have cup holders! (I wish I could say 'substitute the cell phones for something else...but let's face it...that part of the picture is probably accurate.)

pic003.jpg

I have had countless rides on WDW buses and can count on the fingers of one hand all the times someone got snotty or had a pushing match while boarding. Have seen a lot of people waiting to fold their strollers though, and once on a crowded Downtown Disney (then) bus it turned out someone snuck a stroller in through the back door and left the kid inside it. Went to two stops before enough passengers filtered out for the driver to spot the stroller and he refused to move the bus until they took the kid out and folded the stroller. The parents started giving him crap, so I got off the bus and walked back to my resort (it was the stop before mine).

When I arrive at the bus stop, I move as close as I can get to the boarding area. If there are people on benches, fine, they can sit. But they aren't in line! When the bus approaches, I move to the front door boarding area. Of course, there are those who wait to get in through the back door, then when they're told no, they start yelling that they were at the front of the line. Sorry, but that boarding line is at the front of the parking spot. That's where you enter.
My absolute worst bus situation was at Kidani. My girlfriend and I got to the bus stop just as the bus we wanted was pulling away. Bummer. So, we just stood and waited for the next bus. About 5 mins later, a family joined us. Then, about 5 or so mins later another family arrived. Then about 10 or so others joined the crowd....so maybe 25 or so people. The bus pulled up about 5 mins later...total wait time of about 15 mins.
As my friend and I boarded the bus, the family that had arrived 10 mins after that first bus left took a nutty....well, the mother did. Started yelling about line cutters and that they had been waiting at least 30 mins, probably closer to 45, and who did people think they were, cutting in front of them! We just rolled our eyes and continued onto the bus. All the while the woman is yelling at the driver about how long she waited! Since we were seated at the very front of the bus, I leaned over and told the driver she had waited about 10 mins, that we were there when the previous bus pulled away, 15 mins before! He just smiled and rolled his eyes.

If also drives me a little nuts when we start a line somewhere on the curb, and then the bus stops 4 feet past where we are. Suddenly you go from being first to being nowhere near the open bus doors. Funny...but not funny :crowded:
I wondered when some one would bring this up, I am secretly entertained when a couple of groups are hanging at the bus stop, maybe exchanging pleasantries with fellow guests, and a group arrives & marches to the curb, standing practically in the road, I guess being first on the bus is like winning the lottery for them. Then the driver pulls up where they aren't & I and the others who had been there longer board before the late arriving curb huggers.
IME the drivers will tell the stroller folders to move to the side to let others board & I've seen a boat Captain threaten to leave one poor guy who couldn't figure out how to collapse his stroller, my son hopped out and folded it for the guy so the crisis was averted :) note son has no kids thus no stroller experience, but is a mechanical whiz.

How do you know that those sitting don't need the seat just as much as anyone else?
I'm not saying they don't need to be seated. But they could sit on a lap. I'm thinking of a family with multiple children I saw and each child had their own seat. Did all 3 need their own seat?

I'm not saying they don't need to be seated. But they could sit on a lap. I'm thinking of a family with multiple children I saw and each child had their own seat. Did all 3 need their own seat?

If a kid is old enough to climb into their own seat, then sure, why not? They're not any less entitled to a seat than a healthy adult. Toddlers on laps I could see but over about 5 years old, I don't think it's practical to expect them to double up, and it's so hot during the summer that I wouldn't blame a parent for not wanting to hold a kid that can be trusted to sit or stand on their own.

It's first come first served on buses. I'm not going to judge anyone for not getting up and giving up their seat. The last few days I have hurt badly enough that I could have easily lost my balance on a moving bus and fallen, hurting myself or worse, others. I would have stood up for a handicapped passenger if I had been in the accessible seating area, but it would have been a bad choice on my part.

I was referring to the comment about teens and young adults sitting on the bus.

I've experienced a problem with the system too. We went to the bus station to go to Animal Kingdom. the bus was there but the woman loading people waved us way saying don't run we're not waiting for you. Ok they have a schedule so we sat on the bench with nobody else there. People start to show up and the bus took forever. When it finally arrived everybody ran to the door and we got in line too. Guess where the cutoff was, us. We'd have to wait for another bus.
:rotfl2: :lmao: Rotten luck. Sorry for laughing, that totally sucks. But its funny cause that sort of thing would happen to me too. :rotfl:

Totally agree! It really ticks me off when I see people do that. Thats called laziness. They're too lazy to fold up the stroller ahead of time cause god forbid they have to carry something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter