Bus Stop Etiquette Question

Wow, really sounds like trying to board a bus at some of the resorts is a nightmare!! Glad they aren't like that at Fort Wilderness. We have stayed there many years (in our mh) and for the most part, people are so considerate and understanding. There is one station for all parks (except MK - boat), DS, Waterparks, etc. w/benches, but when your designated bus comes in everyone lines up - almost always orderly - only once in a while 'me firsts' kick in!!

Like a pp said, we have gone to Disney very often and also thankful we don't seem to see what others are talking about with rudeness on buses.

I despise the line corals used in the parks and at the value resorts. I much prefer the methods used at the mods and the deluxe resorts. I think it works great and civilized.

I agree, the line corals for the value resorts are the #1 reason that neither DH nor I will stay at a value resort again (unless it is just a single night before or after a trip where we would wouldn't be using the park buses anyways). I hated everything about them. I think that the vast majority of people at the bus stops are courteous and understanding, occasionally there is a rude person or group, but from my experience, that is the exception not the rule.

I think a lot of the disorganization stems from the fact that many, many people visiting WDW are not public transportation commuters, and have no idea of the unwritten rules of queueing. I grew up in NYC, I've been using public transportation since I was born, navigating it alone since junior high school - I understand the brashest of unwritten, but understood, public transportation rules. Most of the US does not use crowded, hectic public transportation on a daily basis, and many seem to think it's a free-for-all race to see who can shove in front of the most people first.

Yes yes yes! If it's not your bus at the curb, please, for the love of all things, MOVE!

Oh, come on. I've ridden transit in NYC. There are no polite queues. No one shoves or anything, but it's every man for himself. As long as people don't hold up the line or take up too much space, it's free for all.

The idiots that just stand there and don't move out of the way- now, that's something that is definitely due to people not taking transit. Or possibly not being allowed in public very often. That drives me crazy. At DL last night, 3 different buses stop at the same stop. People queued but it actually added to the confusion. If your bus isn't coming for 20 minutes why get in line at all.

People on the bench aren't in line even in Seattle. If it's someone who may need a little help, like an elderly lady, I might help them on the bus ahread of me. But no one counts that as the line, if there is a line. It's usually more like a clump.

If there's an available bench and a decent amount of time on the ETA bus stop board when we get there then we sit because I have ankle issues and can't stand too long, then when we see it's about 5+ mins from bus arrival time then we get in line. This has never really been a problem at AKV.

Been to the world too many times...never in a hurry...if the bus looks like its going to be full, I wait for another bus. I always try to go at less busy times of the year to try and avoid such situations.

Yes, me and the children fully expect to do this IF he is tired enough to sit down and not queue. I know he is wanting to give the kids one last holiday, and will not use any mobility devices, so they get as much normality as possible. If it's busy. and he has to stand, then he will, (and we are very good at bus waiting since we use them all the time at home, and he is very good at allowing time etc.) but *I* was hoping that people would be more understanding given three people waiting in line and one person joining them.

I really don't think most people would have a problem with him joining you in line when the bus arrives since it will probably be apparent that there was a reason he was sitting while you were not. I think the problem is when the entire party (or the majority of it) is sitting or otherwise not standing in the line. No one wants others to cut in on a line where they have been patiently waiting.

I've experienced a problem with the system too. We went to the bus station to go to Animal Kingdom. the bus was there but the woman loading people waved us way saying don't run we're not waiting for you. Ok they have a schedule so we sat on the bench with nobody else there. People start to show up and the bus took forever. When it finally arrived everybody ran to the door and we got in line too. Guess where the cutoff was, us. We'd have to wait for another bus.

Well, I must be there at the wrong time, lol! I see it regularly during our stays.
We usually stay at the YC, but the one time that we stayed at BC, we walked over to the YC bus stop. This way we knew we would get a spot on the bus.

Our family's bus etiquette rule is "give your seat up" for: Disabled, Elderly, Women with small children or baby, small child that may fall if trying to stand while bus moves (tho they usually sit on adults lap in a full bus), women. In that order.
It would be nice if parents put small children on their laps on packed busses, and some do. But lots of times they don't.
I've always taught my children too, since they were old enough to give their seat to those who need them too. And I'm always surprised to see teens and young adults sitting on packed busses when others needing seats are standing. Seems like etiquette isn't taught at home much anymore.

I didn't say in NYC. You couldn't pay me to sit on a bench in the NYC subway system.
:laughing:

honestly I think the issues happen when you get a mix of people who dont use public transport in real life and those who do. Those who use regular city bus and underground systems are used to having to hustle, are used to queuing systems etc When you have to get to work and there are 50 or more people waiting and if you dont get on the bus you will be late for work, then yes you will hustle and make sure you get on the bus. Some people, like me have an hour plus bus journey commute every day to and from work so yes I will hustle to get a seat.

When you use regular city bus and underground systems every day for years and years hustling becomes automatic. So yes when I go to Disney I will make sure I am on the bus and if I want a seat I will make sure I get a seat.

To those who dont use regular city bus and underground systems and being on a Disney bus is a novelty, and expect people to be nice, sorry thats not real life. You snooze you lose.

honestly I think the issues happen when you get a mix of people who dont use public transport in real life and those who do. Those who use regular city bus and underground systems are used to having to hustle, are used to queuing systems etc When you have to get to work and there are 50 or more people waiting and if you dont get on the bus you will be late for work, then yes you will hustle and make sure you get on the bus. Some people, like me have an hour plus bus journey commute every day to and from work so yes I will hustle to get a seat.

When you use regular city bus and underground systems every day for years and years hustling becomes automatic. So yes when I go to Disney I will make sure I am on the bus and if I want a seat I will make sure I get a seat.

To those who dont use regular city bus and underground systems and being on a Disney bus is a novelty, and expect people to be nice, sorry thats not real life. You snooze you lose.
I commuted in London for years, and however much hustling, there is still room for politeness and courtesy. People can be nice AND use buses, sometimes even simultaneously

You must never have stayed at the Beach Club. There are som many families waiting for the bus to MK in the morning, this is a regular occurrence. We stay at the YC, which gets picked up first. The bus goes to BC & there are always so many people waiting there. The bus gets packed & there are always a few people who can't get on. I think this may be the worst resort to have this happen at.

I have found the BC to be among the worst for crowding and cutting in front of others at the bus stop. As a BC guest, waiting near the curb for a MK bus in the morning, I saw families walk right up to the bus and board, cutting out others who were standing there for quite awhile, waiting in an orderly line to board. Even though I was toward the front of that line, there were no seats left, by the time I boarded, and had to stand all the way (which was not the most comfortable, having had a back issue). I did not see one person of any age/gender offer to give up their seat to a standing passenger. Seeing either an elderly person or someone with a small child, standing, I have offered my seat to others, on occasion. One time, there was a grandmother traveling with two small kids. There was one empty seat left, which was next to my seat, so she held one child on her lap, and I offered to have the other one on my lap.

People are very appreciative for common courtesies, but, sometimes, there are not that many courtesies out there. I would think of this as being a great learning experience for families.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced the mass chaos at the BC bus stop!! We've noticed it getting worse with every trip. One morning in early May my fiancé and I just missed the MK bus, we were the only people there so we sat on the bench under the "Magic Kingdom" sign. As more people arrived, we stood up and "lined up" at the curb (more of a swarm of people jockeying for the front spot than a line). By the time the MK bus came there were at least 60 people waiting.. the entire covered area was full. We were only about 20 people back, but as soon as the bus pulled up some guy decides to inform everyone that the two scooters in his party and his ENTIRE family/travel party were going to board first. So the two scooters board and he waves his party up to the front of the line. By the time they boarded half of the bus was full. Needless to say we didn't make that bus.

We were meeting photographers in MK and I was furious. We were about to grab a taxi when the next MK bus pulled up... this time people were forcing their way to the curb. We ended up having to stand on the second bus.. I was in wedges and the guy I was standing in front of had his legs nice and stretched out leaving me about 6 inches for both of my feet. I seriously lost my balance a couple of times and almost fell on the guy. My fiancé ended up getting a little rude with the guy asking "Sir this is a full bus can you please give her some room to stand."

We are born and raised southern.. we don't expect southern hospitality when we travel and it takes a lot to set us off, but common courtesy/acknowledgement of my existence is expected. Anyway, I have learned to catch the MK bus by at least 8:00 for a 9:00 opening at the BC and if the BC bus stop is crazy I walk over to the YC bus stop.

It would be nice if parents put small children on their laps on packed busses, and some do. But lots of times they don't.
I've always taught my children too, since they were old enough to give their seat to those who need them too. And I'm always surprised to see teens and young adults sitting on packed busses when others needing seats are standing. Seems like etiquette isn't taught at home much anymore.

How do you know that those sitting don't need the seat just as much as anyone else?

I'm stressed out just reading how much goes thru people's minds when they get on a bus...

If you're early or it's not crowded, sit down. As long as you get on, who cares in what order. If it gets crowded and people gather by the curb, go by the curb so you don't miss out. We've never shoved someone nor been shoved. I'm not taking away from peoples' stories, I'm sure someone out there has shoved someone else while getting on a bus, but that's the exception and not the norm.

It's also interesting hearing the stories about people getting shoved... but no stories about that time you shoved someone to get ahead. Surely those folks must be out there? Are there any shovers on the Dis who will share their experience? :) What drives you? Was it a good push, more of a nudge, or maybe a full contact step-and-block? How did you effectively leverage your stroller / backpack / other implement? I'd like to hear from the other side.

I thought the same thing...I can only remember staying at Values, and it doesnt bother me one bit lining up in the "corral". I laughed out loud when I read your comment! How do these people handle ride lines??
You must have never stood there when it was 100 degrees in the sun or pouring rain. I stayed at a Value one time and it was enough for me. At least at the parks they are covered.
Lines for rides are nothing like the corals for buses are in the parks or the value resorts.
The lines in those things remind me of photos of people in an dystopian society. It isn't an image that says fun to me. And it isn't.

And actually, I don't stand in lines for rides like that. Other than for FoP, I've never stood in any line for than about 20 min

You can do that if you would like to. It's a nice thing to do. However, don't expect anyone else who comes up and elects to stand at the curb, to move aside in order to allow the family on the bench to board first. At resorts where there is no designated line to board the bus, it works just like any other public transportation. Because a lot of the bus stops don't have any separate pull-in areas for buses based on destination, unless you ask that family you have no way of knowing what bus they are waiting for, and if you'd like to be the person who tells anyone close to the bus that they need to stand aside so the bench group can board first, good luck with that.

It's not a nightmare. Just be advised that if you prefer to sit on the bench, you will not be one of the first to board the bus. If it's important to you to board the bus first, stand where the bus will stop. I guess I'm just used to commuting on public transit. Works the same way. When the train pulls in, if you're standing by the train door, you're the first aboard.

Of all the deluxe bus stops I've used, I believe that only twice I have seen someone get snotty about their choice to sit on a bench putting them further back in line to board the bus.

Also, if you choose to stand at the curb and a bus comes in and it's not your bus, back up a bit and let folks board the bus.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter