Bus Stop Etiquette Question

stacyjoy75

Mouseketeer
Hello! This is kind of a random question, but something I always stress a little about at the bus stop. I always want to make sure I am not cutting in line, but this scenario has happened a few times. Say we get to the bus stop early. There may be one other family on a bench. I want to make sure to let that family go in front of me, but I don't want all the people after me to get in front of my family. Do we wait behind first family, leaving all that empty space by where the bus will open the doors, or go ahead and line up where the bus will come? I hope this makes sense. I wish you could just take a number or something!

My one problem with the bus stops at the moderate and deluxe resorts has always been the free for all that happens when the bus comes. I've actually had whole families come up and push their way in front of us while we are in the actual line. It doesn't matter that much to us if we get on that bus or wait for the next one and we don't mind standing but that, I hate. To answer your question, there really isn't any etiquette involved. You have no idea of knowing which bus that family sitting on the bench is waiting for. When we see the bus coming that we want, we will start to kind of meander toward the place where the bus will stop and start lining up.

I'd go ahead and line up where the bus comes. If you stand behind the people sitting on the bench, you'll be the last one on the bus. We'll only sit on the bench if there's little to nobody else there. Once more people show up, it's off the bench and wait near the curb where the bus comes.

I always assume people on benches aren't in line.

I used to frequently take the Amtrak out of 30th Street Station in Philly. There were several large wooden benches near each gate. People sat on the benches till it got close to train time, then when a line started to form, you'd see people start to get up and join the line.

That's the way I treated the benches at WDW bus stop. I'd sit and relax until I saw a line forming, then I'd get up and join the line.

One of the reasons we started renting a car was to avoid the free-for-all that comes with Disney transport. There are queues everywhere else but not always at the bus stops.

I always assume people on benches aren't in line.

That's part of the problem, imo. It's not like people are just hanging out at the bus stop, even if they aren't in a defined "line." Of course they are waiting for a bus.

I basically just get on the bus when it comes, which is admittedly a little rude. In my opinion, its up to families or groups to assert themselves when the bus comes, especially if they feel it may be full.

We usually stay at the AKL where this is not an issue (at least the bus being full). I have noticed the POP has like rope lines which I think all resorts should have.

When it comes to a bus I would not beat yourself up too much over the minutiae of boarding, such as if a family is there first.

The only time I kick it up a notch if it looks like a bus may fill up, which at the AKL has only been an issue a couple of times.

I wish all the resort bus stops were like the values. They could keep the benches for anyone who prefers to sit and wait (sometimes in the middle of summer, I'd rather sit), but put up the queue former things like the value resorts. I've never encountered any problems getting on a bus at the Pop, but at the deluxe resorts I frequently find a free for all, complete with pushing and shoving, when a bus arrives. I stand back. I don't mind standing on the bus, although at the deluxe resorts, I've only encountered that coming back from the parks. As long as my kids get to sit, I'm fine. And usually other adults are happy to stand for a child to have a place to sit. I just wish the deluxe and moderates would at least try to reign in the bus chaos.

That's part of the problem, imo. It's not like people are just hanging out at the bus stop, even if they aren't in a defined "line." Of course they are waiting for a bus.

Agreed.

When I used to commute by bus the benches were part of the line. Bench sitters were in line just like the standees. And we knew it and accommodated it.

If people want to wait on a bench then they should expect others to get on the bus before them.
I like value resorts for the fact that they have a distinct line for the buses.
If you're not lined up in it well that's not my problem because I will be rain or shine, tired or not.

I agree %100.00, I think all resorts should have the distinct lines.

Ugh. This is one of the reasons I hate taking buses from the resorts, especially ones that don't have designated park areas (where there are signs telling you where to congregate for each park bus). BWI comes to mind. There is just one big clump of people and some benches. Unfortunately, it creates a situation where, even if you want to be courteous, you run the risk of not getting on a bus. I really wish they would come up with a more organized method so people aren't starting their day feeling stressed.

Ugh. This is one of the reasons I hate taking buses from the resorts, especially ones that don't have designated park areas (where there are signs telling you where to congregate for each park bus). BWI comes to mind. There is just one big clump of people and some benches. Unfortunately, it creates a situation where, even if you want to be courteous, you run the risk of not getting on a bus. I really wish they would come up with a more organized method so people aren't starting their day feeling stressed.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the rope lines will be introduced to all resorts. Sometimes at the deluxe's its not as much an issue, because I don't think there are larger groups. I'm 6'2 accustomed to Philadelphia mass transit so I can navigate on and off through a crowd with no issue ( and some rudeness admittedly), however my mother and sister can have some difficulty. I don't like to be pushy but sometimes its what you gotta do. #sorrynotsorry

I absolutely agree in regards to the starting the day off stressed. Hopefully they'll either add the rope lines at all resorts, or have a cast member present. Last year at AKL in late June there was a cast member who helped provide some control on busier mornings.

Value queues just won't work at moderates because all the satellite bus stops just don't have the space for this.

I've never found it a problem at moderates or Deluxe. People for the most part sit on the benches and when they see their bus coming get up and queue.

The only frustration I've had was at Por main bus stop. People just stood on line, period. Didn't matter if it was their bus coming or not. So, when I saw my bus I got up to join queue, only the large group in front of me was just standing there. Turns out it wasn't their bus but all the people behind them don't know this. So my opinion is that if it's not your bus, stand aside and let people on!!! I avoid the main bus depot, it's just too chaotic.

If people would just use consideration there is no need for cattle pen queues.

Last edited:
If people want to wait on a bench then they should expect others to get on the bus before them.
If you're not lined up in it well that's not my problem because I will be rain or shine, tired or not.

I agree. We usually stay at POP so I'm used to how the line ups work there, and yes there are benches that people just sit on to rest and not be waiting for a bus however last year we stayed at AKL and took the bus once since we drove and I couldn't believe how people were waiting for the bus. I've taken the bus at the Poly before however it was the middle of the day and no one else was waiting.

One of the reasons we started renting a car was to avoid the free-for-all that comes with Disney transport. There are queues everywhere else but not always at the bus stops.

Yes, they are waiting for a bus but which bus? In some of the deluxe resorts there are sections for each bus, AKL comes to mind but in most there is just one stop that all the buses pull into. They might be waiting for the same bus as you, might not be.

Last year at POFQ they had a CM out in the mornings helping organize everyone into lines. Not sure if that's a common thing at all the resorts, but I wish it were. Helped a ton and kept people from inadvertently cutting.

Ok. Thank you for all the replies! Yes, I do wish they had lines as well,,BUT I do like the benches when I have to wait a while and no one else is there. I think we will just sort of get in line, stand aside if it is not our bus, and not worry too much about those sitting. Although I will probably let the sitters go ahead of me if they were there first and it is practical at that time. If it is overcrowded I will not worry too much. I absolutely will not push ahead of others who are waiting for the same bus. Imagine if everyone did that???

This!!!!! EXACTLY THIS!!!!!!! :goodvibes

If you're on the bench, then im sorry, you snooze you lose. You want to sit? Fine. But by doing so, you have to understand that others may and will get on that bus before you. This is a risk you take when deciding to sit. As a "sitter" sometimes, I take the same risk. I know that i wont be the first one on that bus. But when i see the bus stop getting crowded, i'll get up and wait for the bus standing.

If the "sitting family" gets up from the bench and makes a bee line towards the front of the line to board, then sure, i'll let them go ahead. But im sorry, when the bus arrives, i'm getting on that bus. I will not be waiting for anyone. I will say that I do not push or shove...and if i notice that a family has been standing longer than i have and we're at the door at the same time, i'll let them go ahead. I do have common courtesy.

This is also why i like value resorts. There's a distinct line. If you're on the bench, sucks for you because when the bus arrives you have to get at the BACK of the line. Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter