Bumper ramps and carriers for ECV

pls5286

DIS Veteran
After lots of discussion, DH and I came to the decision that it was time to purchase an ECV. It was wearing him completely out to push me around large places in a manual wheelchair. We got the SpinLife 4 wheeled scooter this week.

Right now the scooter is in parts in the back of our Honda Pilot and the battery is in the front bedroom. This setup still prevents me from going alone anywhere with lots of walking involved because the heaviest parts are past my lifting limits.

We currently have a Honda Pilot and looking into buying a Chevy Avalanche. We also have a cruise planned for Dec and deciding which park we are going to do right after the cruise.

How do the bumper carriers with ramps work out for those of you who use them? Is it something that is fairly simple to load and unload? I know I won't be going many places without either DH or DS being with me, but would like the opportunity to go out with some of my friends on the weekends hubby is at work.

I am going to purchase the Bruno Joey https://www.bruno.com/products-buckets/2470/joey lift. Which will fit into the 2018 Honda Odyssey that we are purchasing. It will also fit into several SUVs but one must also give up the 2nd row of seats in an SUV. With my Odyssey I only have to give up the 3rd row of seats.

I've had my ECV for about 18 months. It weighs about 94 pounds and can be broken down into several pieces. My DH can put it into our van without being disassembled, but I hate to ask him to do that.

I look forward to having the ability to travel unassisted. I spend a lot of my time in New Orleans. I would not be able to fit an exterior lift at the parking place at my condo. Plus I would not trust an exterior lift to be secure from theft.

I have a hitch mounted carrier with a ramp that we use when traveling, its heavy enough that there is no chance that I can mount or dismount from the hitch, so DH does that part for me when it needs to be done.
Operating it once it is mounted is very easy, there are a few pins to pull to lower the ramp or secure it when the ECV is loaded. It folds up flat against the back of my SUV when its not loaded, by pulling a pin and folding it up and reinserting the pin.
I have a large ECV at 200+ LBS , while it does disassemble for travel if necessary the parts are too heavy for me to lift alone so the carrier is the best way for us since the ECV wouldn't fit in the back of any vehicle I would want to drive.

I can't say about the cost it was done free through the VA but there are ramps where scooters can go into a van using a remote.

The Bruno Joey lift we are going to get costs $3500 installed. We will receive a $1000 rebate from Honda for purchasing a new vehicle. I am selling my BLT DVC to help pay for the van and lift. But I still have a contract at SSR so I’m okay with that.

That lift fits inside the van. There is a remote that lowers the lift from inside the van to the ground. It is quite easy to ride the scooter on or off the lift.

I will most likely need a power wheelchair at some point and the lift can also accommodate that.

After lots of discussion, DH and I came to the decision that it was time to purchase an ECV. It was wearing him completely out to push me around large places in a manual wheelchair. We got the SpinLife 4 wheeled scooter this week.

Right now the scooter is in parts in the back of our Honda Pilot and the battery is in the front bedroom. This setup still prevents me from going alone anywhere with lots of walking involved because the heaviest parts are past my lifting limits.
[...]
How do the bumper carriers with ramps work out for those of you who use them? Is it something that is fairly simple to load and unload? I know I won't be going many places without either DH or DS being with me, but would like the opportunity to go out with some of my friends on the weekends hubby is at work.

What is the model of scooter? Scout 4? Sometimes it matters... Anyway, the hitch mounted carriers are great if you don't have a really big van/suv/truck. ECVs just take up too much space otherwise. Some downsides of course, like exposure to elements, everything takes a bit of tinkering to get perfect. Some things I can think of to help you out...
  • Get a set of lithium batteries. You can replace the 7 pound lead acid batteries with a pair of 2lb lithium ones for about $90 each from a company called Shorai. You get about the same run time or pay a bit more and increase your run time without really adding to weight much. This will go a long way to lowering the weight to something you can manage
  • For times when you will only be in the chair relatively short periods at a time, running errands and such, a much lighter and slightly less comfortable chair can be made up to fit in the same spot as the original.
  • There are two ways to manage loading and unloading that I can think of:
    • Attach a small winch to the carrier. Harbor Freight makes one for $80 that has a wireless remote.
    • Have a remote throttle control added to the scooter so you can power the chair up the ramp without being on it. Just be certain that the remote throttle is capped at a very slow speed to prevent yourself from launching the thing up over the end of the platform.
  • Ramps for bumper carriers, and really scooter loading ramps in general, seem crazy short to me. Like the shortest you can get away with. It's because a longer ramp might be obstructed by other cars or terrain wherever it is you happen to be unloading. Even so, it makes it scary to drive the thing up into it's travel position.
    • Get a longer ramp
    • Get a 2nd ramp and have someone make you a locking hinge that will support the ECV with a rider.
Whatever solution you arrive at, avoid the ones that sound like, "Well I guess i just can't do that anymore." Sometimes things certainly do end up that way but fight it to the bitter end, or it becomes too easy to settle. Most obstacles can be overcome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter