"Budgeting" TS credits

yorkieteacher

DIS Veteran
We will have the "regular" dining plan in March, because we have always liked having the DDP, but we have two signature dining restaurants scheduled. We are trying to decide how to budget some of our dining credits. Can we use the DDP to just pay for the child's meal, and pay out of pocket for the adults? Do we HAVE to order a TS meal for a picky 3 year old at places like Sanaa or Skipper Canteen, or can he eat off our plates if we use credits so we can use his 2 credits at Brown Derby? We have looked at all the menus for our ADR restaurants. We know for our Fantasmic dining package at Mama Melrose, and BOG and Storybook dinners , we will need to be ready to use the DDP credits, but want to just share several appetizers and desserts at Brown Derby out of pocket but use the child's TS credit, use one TS credit at Sanaa for one adult and order some appetizers, things like that. I personally feel those credits are like money, and if we want to split a meal, or split how we pay, we should be able to except in the ones with fixed prices. How hard is it to split tabs between DDP and out of pocket, and what restaurants would frown on an adult paying for 1 TS meal with the DDP while another orders appetizers out of pocket? Even though that is not likely to stop us from trying!

You can share meals or order whar/how you want at most restaurants where you order off a menu. All you can eat, buffet, shows, and character meals everyone has to use a credit. Also via napoli makes you all use a credit (you can't order one pizza and share if using the dining plan).

Also via napoli makes you all use a credit (you can't order one pizza and share if using the dining plan).

VN doesn't require that all use a credit, but they do require that all order something. If one person uses a credit to get the individual pizza or an entree and the other orders an app, they should be okay. Kids could also pay OOP for a kid's meal and adults use a credit.

VN doesn't require that all use a credit, but they do require that all order something. If one person uses a credit to get the individual pizza or an entree and the other orders an app, they should be okay. Kids could also pay OOP for a kid's meal and adults use a credit.
Yes, you explained it way better than me!

Just one thing, you mention using his credit for an adult every once in awhile. Keep in mind we don't use the Dining Plan but haven't they started enforcing that a child's credit has to be used for a child's meal and an adult credit for an adult meal now? So if you used his credit, you would have to get a kid's meal, which might not matter to you. I could be wrong but there is a whole thread about how they have started enforcing that now instead of letting people pool all the credits to use as they wish.

Remember that for all intents and purposes, the dining plan is just a form of payment. It's no different combining DDP credits and OOP payments than it is paying part of the check with cash and part with credit. I've done it myself, and the servers are quite prepared to handle it.

Just one thing, you mention using his credit for an adult every once in awhile. Keep in mind we don't use the Dining Plan but haven't they started enforcing that a child's credit has to be used for a child's meal and an adult credit for an adult meal now? So if you used his credit, you would have to get a kid's meal, which might not matter to you. I could be wrong but there is a whole thread about how they have started enforcing that now instead of letting people pool all the credits to use as they wish.

I don't think she said she would use the kid credit for an adult meal; she wants to pay OOP at a 1 TS for the child and use the extra credit at a 2 TS for the child.

You absolutely can do that at non-buffets and non package meals.

That's how we are budgeting our next trip. My 12-year-old daughter is a vegetarian and many of her preferred meals are very cheap. Plus, she obviously wouldn't take advantage of the alcohol.. while I don't really need dessert.
So for example, at a couple meals.. may pay for her entree OOP. Use a credit (or 2 credits for signature), I take an expensive entree and cocktail.. she gets my dessert. Saving credits
We were planning on California grill... we definitely would not all use our credits. Flat breads, sushi -- Not even on the DDP, and easily a whole meal.

Figure each credit should net you $40-$50 of value. So if a TS credit is getting you much below $40 of actual desired value (don't force yourself to order dessert just to get value --- What is the cost of the meal you actually want???)... so if the cost of the meal you actually want is under $40 per credit, can be worth it to save the credit for a different meal. (some would say if your meal is going to be under $45-$50 per credit).
And that goes for breaking down a party --- If you have multiple adults, pay for the expensive meals with credits and cheap meals with cash. And share desserts, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter