Budget for family of 5

I nannied for a very wealthy family for 12 years. So that’s how I got my deluxe fix. I’m a real bargain shopper so finding great deals is my thing.
So talking moderates. What area of CBC did you stay in. How did you feel the walking was around the resort and to the main pool? Also did you find you spent a lot of time on the bus just going through the resort?

Well, we lucked out a bit in that regard. I booked a Standard room (which would place us in Jamaica or Aruba). But when we arrived, I think that they were over-booked due to a big Cheerleading thing going on that week, and those girls were all placed in the Standard areas, so we were upgraded to Preferred (which is Martinique or Barbados). We were placed in Barbados 32. So we were on the same side of the 'lake' or whatever it's called as Old Port Royale, which is where the check-in, pool, bar, food court, restaurant are. It was only like a 3 minute walk to there. Each "island" also has its own quiet pool as well, if you don't feel like going over to the main feature pool. If in Standard, there is a bridge you walk across the water to get to Old Port Royale, but if you're placed in a room right near the bridge, it's not that bad. So, for the bus, they go in this order: Martinique, Old Port Royale, Barbados, Trinidad, Jamaica, Aruba. So we were the third bus stop. We didn't have any trouble getting on the bus. In the mornings, Jamaica and Aruba are on their own route (at least they were during our stay, and we were there during a 'slow' time so I imagine it's typical of busy times too), so you would only do the first 4 before the bus leaves for the park. In our case we were in Barbados, so we would only stop at Trinidad before heading out to the parks (and sometimes the bus was full already so we didn't even stop at Trinidad anyway -- Trinidad is the Pirate rooms, which you can't stay in with 5 people so don't even worry about that). So since we were in Preferred, we were never on the bus for more than a couple of stops, both going there in the morning as well as coming back later in the day when the bus does the full loop. Hope that makes sense. I have not stayed at Riverside, but I assume the situation is probably about the same there.

We rented points for our family of 7 for a 2 bedroom villa at the BC, it was huge. My parents rented points for a studio, it was so tiny.

You do realize that renting points, mostly involves paying upfront with no changes or cancellations? The studios are small, you may be better off looking at a moderate that would sleep 5 people.

We rented points at BRV from an owner here on disboards for last March. Came to $265/nt. We are a family of 5+1 and had plenty of room! Plus there is a balcony! There is a queen bed for parents, the girls could take the couch pullout (surprisingly comfortable) and the Murphy pulldown for the 5yo. I would not hesitate to do it again.

You do realize that renting points, mostly involves paying upfront with no changes or cancellations? The studios are small, you may be better off looking at a moderate that would sleep 5 people.
The studios are actually larger than Moderate hotel rooms. The smallest that accommodate 5 people (BCV and BRV are tied) are 356 sq. ft. The Moderate hotel rooms are 314 sq. ft.

However, those numbers can be deceiving. Studios yield a lot of space to their larger bathrooms and the kitchenette area, making the actual living space more cramped than a hotel room when all of the beds are opened. In addition, the DVC studios that were retro-fitted with a 5th sleeping surface (BCV, BWV & BRV), gave up a lot of storage space in the renovation.

We rented points at BRV from an owner here on disboards for last March. Came to $265/nt. We are a family of 5+1 and had plenty of room! Plus there is a balcony! There is a queen bed for parents, the girls could take the couch pullout (surprisingly comfortable) and the Murphy pulldown for the 5yo. I would not hesitate to do it again.
Ya I feel we’d be fine in a studio. I’d be more interested in resort appeal than room. Kids will be soo excited about being at Disney the room size really won’t be a concern. We would use for sleeping and showering. Hoping we can find a good deal like you did.

The studios are actually larger than Moderate hotel rooms. The smallest that accommodate 5 people (BCV and BRV are tied) are 356 sq. ft. The Moderate hotel rooms are 314 sq. ft.

However, those numbers can be deceiving. Studios yield a lot of space to their larger bathrooms and the kitchenette area, making the actual living space more cramped than a hotel room when all of the beds are opened. In addition, the DVC studios that were retro-fitted with a 5th sleeping surface (BCV, BWV & BRV), gave up a lot of storage space in the renovation.[/QUOTE.
our only other option is staying at a moderate 5 in roomso hopefully I’ll be able to find points within my budget. I’d definitely prefer the delux resort if I’m able to get at a comparable price. And sounds like studios are slightly larger as well. So that would be a plus as well. The option of walking to park or monorail are high on my plus for a deluxe resort. Thank you everyone for all your helpful comments and sharing experiences.

I love the Deluxes too, who wouldn't, but after quite a few Moderate stays I've come to the conclusion those are my "new Deluxe". As far as the buses go, I go with the basis of FREE transportation and the fact that I do NOT have to drive and if I get to sit down, GREAT! I love how you broke down your budget for us to see. A lot of people ask "how can you afford to go to WDW"? Every family has their own story. I plan, plan and re-plan far in advance that's how!!!!

A studio at BWV or BCV will allow you to walk to 2 parks. Location, location, location. Can't be beat IMO.

BWV is more "in the middle" of the 2 parks....I'd say less than 10 minutes to Epcot and maybe 15 to DHS. BCV is just steps away from Epcot but about 20 minutes to DHS.
(Maybe a little longer with the 5 year old.)

You're looking at roughly 15-20 points a night @ $17 point. (Weekdays are low end, weekends high end).

I cannot describe to you how much extra time we had on our hands by eliminating buses most days. We do 1 day @ DAK am / DS pm and 1 very long day @ MK. The other days are a mix of resort / DHS / Epcot. If we need extra time at MK can also divide an Epcot am with an extra MK pm and take the monorail from Epcot to MK.

We don't have a 5 year old however, so I don't know how you structure your days.

We stayed in a studio at BWV two years ago when my kids were 11, 9, 6 and 4. Our friends were next door and my 9yo slept in their extra bed. It was tight in the room, especially with only one bathroom,but it allowed us to spend more days ln vacation vs spending more for a larger/two rooms. It was worth it for us and are doing it again next year.

Going to Disney in July as a family of four. Which is better...OKW studio or CBR? Our kids are teens.

Our craziest stay was in 2001. We booked one of the POR rooms with 2 queens with a trundle and had our #4DD - 14 months old - in a pack-n-play. A sleepless week for me!

After that we always budgeted 2 connecting standard rooms - usually at value resort. Sometime Moderate. We actually like a lot of things about the Value resorts and WE DON'T LIKE THE FAMILY SUITES. We like the VERY Disney themes and the smaller size resort means easier to get around. (Except our one and only stay in a Little Mermaid room at AoA.) The pools are fine - We don't go to WDW for the pools. Never been to Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon.

We put 4 girls in the one room and had a "huge" room and bathroom and TV to ourselves. I would take a room at All-Star Movies with 2 standards beds or a King over the one Queen at AKKV we had last year. That room was small and way more money than two values. Yes - AKL/AKKV is very neat AND the first night (ONLY) we were upgraded to a Grand Villa!! - BUT STILL! (There were 3 of us in that Studio - 5 in the GV)

Right now in my Disney Universe I have ressies at ASMs and a cabin on the Fantasy with and extended veranda. We are going to get APs in late summer or early fall and I plan to stay in "cheaper" places so we can visit nearly every month. (6.5 hour drive). It is a retirement present to ourselves. Probably visiting DL for the first time in early 2020 too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter