Budget Caramel Corn-so easy to make! And So GOOD!

Dizneydaz

DIS Veteran
Hi just wanted to post about something I made last night that came out pretty well.

I had seen an episode the other day of Sandra Lee's Semi Homeade and wanted to give this a try.

You take 1/2 c. of Caramel Syrup (the kind you use for sundaes) and add 1 c. packed brown sugar. Bring to a boil and let boil gently for a few minutes. I do this in the microwave. In a 4 cup measuring cup on high for about 3 minutes.

Then pour it over a large bowl of popcorn, mix, pour out on greased cookie sheets (makes enough for 2 full sheets) and let cool. Enjoy!
As I was mixing this I realized that you could make great popcorn balls using this method.

If you don't like your caramel corn real sticky you can put it in the oven (325 or so) to make it crisper. Keep an eye on it and remove when it's nicely caramel colored. I use a large roaster pan so I stir it a few times while backing.

ADDED-I usually use Hershey's Caramel Sauce. I've tried more expensive brands but I like Hershey's best. Sometimes I will add a Tablespoon or so of butter before heating. Also I like my caramel corn with a little salt so I salt the popcorn a little after stirring it.

Here's what made it truly budget-when we go to the movies we usually get the large sized popcorn that includes refills. I refill the tub before we leave. I used a full tub of this popcorn to make the caramel corn.

I decided to use already seasoned popcorn (butter and salt) since Disneyland makes their caramel corn using their seasoned popcorn and it's so good! It's what I got in my Mickey Ghost Popcorn bucket.:wizard:

Also, I did one large bowl as mentioned above. Then I used the remaining 1/2 of the syrup, added in some roasted, skinless almonds I recently bought at Sam's Club (these are soo good) that I chopped into small pieces (they come whole). This 1/2 of the batch I made for those who don't like nuts in the caramel corn. (like my DD11). You could add any type of roasted nuts or even small candies, like M&M's.

On the show Sandra Lee added some cinnamon oil and a little cayenne pepper but I like my caramel corn the purist's way.;)

ENJOY! And Happy Halloween to all!

Just bumping this up a little. I had to check my ratio of ingredients as I am making a batch right now with left over movie popcorn. :goodvibes

One change I've made-I know put it in the oven for about 15 minutes after mixing (300 is good) to crisp it up a little.-so good!

Sounds good, need to making this. We all love carmel corn. What brand of caramel syrup did you use?

Did the caramel corn work out ok for you? You are pleased with the result (taste)? popcorn::

There used to be a real easy microwave caramel corn recipe going around - from Tupperware, I think - but there was risk of the bag bursting into flames in the microwave! :lmao: Did anyone ever have a fire result while making that snack?

I should have bought the caramel sauce while I was at the store yesterday. It would have been nice to make that tonight. I am in Chicago and we are in the middle of a blizzard tonight and housebound until at least Thursday.

Oh my, that sounds good. Thanks for posting. Guess I will have to run to the store for caramel sauce!

Just an update-I make this almost everytime we go to the movies. We get the refillable popcorn size and I refill it before we leave. I've used several different brands of caramel sauce but I think I like the Hershey's one best-in the squeeze bottle.

I make it in the microwave-cooking it for a few minutes-at a boil. Sometimes I will add a little butter to the sauce. And since I like mine crunchy, not chewy, I do finish it up in the oven.

Time to make a batch....:goodvibes

Bumping up again!

Saw The Heat the other day (free preview! :goodvibes) and once again made the caramel from the popcorn I brought home. So good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts