Bryce Harper

Not what I wanted to hear. Of course 13 years for 330 million is better than 10 years for 335 million. For us anyway not him. Hopefully they will have enough money to sign Mike Trout in a couple of years when he becomes a free agent.

13 years - that means the Phillies will have a 38 / 39 year old Harper on a massive contract who probably won't be any use to them in the field. They better hope the rumors are true and the DH is coming to the National League.

I hope the DH is coming to the National League. Watching pitchers bat is painful. lol

I hope the DH is coming to the National League. Watching pitchers bat is painful. lol

Except Scherzer.

Well, Boras got what he wanted - the largest contract in MLB. As for Harp, it would have been great for him and the Nats if he'd taken the Nats offer and called it a day.

We got heeeeeemmm!!!!

Also... that look when you realize you are currently as old as Bryce Harper will be at the end of his contract.... :sad2:

He's yours now and I, for one, am jealous. I really wanted him for the Cubs. The Phillies are now a very talented team. Hold on tight Phillies fans, it's going to be a wild ride.

Congratulations fellow Dodger fans - we didn’t get him. Thoughts and prayers to the Phillies fans.

The phillies have announced new concession prices.

Hot Dog $25 Heated. +$6.
Hamburger $45 comes cooked. Cheese. $5.
Nachos $20. Cheese $5.
BBQ sandwich. $50.
French Fries. $20 Cheese $5 Chili $5.
Popcorn. $12 Small. $20 bucket. $30 Barrell.
Drinks Small $15 Medium $20. Large $30 Cold. + $5.

:rotfl2:

I feel the same way. I would grudgingly like to see them sign Harper at this point having missed out on Machado. It surprises me that they would not go above 300 million for Machado. Nevertheless, if they don’t get Harper it will not be a significant disappointment.

Trout would be great but the Angels are going to spend the next year working on an extension. Highly unlikely that he gets to Philly. On the other hand, the Phils will have the advantage of working on an extension for Realmuto over the next year.

Agree regarding the drafts. I understand the tanking theory but for it to work a team must come out of it with tradable assets. The system is pretty barren at this point due to failed drafts. I am afraid this team is destined for mediocrity.

It’s not highly unlikely that mike gets to philly . Yes angels are going to try very hard to sign mike but mike wants to play in Phillly So you are wondering than why he signed that contract with the angels. He wanted financial security. Which he Now has. If he didn’t sign that contract than he got injured and unable to play again. He would of had to get a job. Only time will tell.

Ugh - I already told my kids it’s ok to still boo Harper

So you're going to encourage your kids to boo a player who just signed, hasn't said a single word yet and hasn't taken a single at bat? Um, OK. Are you upset because of the money he earned? Don't like his agent (which I'd agree, but that doesn't mean Harper is a bad person)? To my knowledge, Harper hasn't done anything horrible in society (i.e. Michael Vick), etc... If he gets to Philly and is a total bust, boo away. But for cryin' out loud, the ink on the contract is still wet. They just signed one of the best players in baseball, I don't get the hate. If he bats .310, hits 40 HR, 110 RBI, and blends well into the Philly world, will you still boo him?

:cloud9:
So you're going to encourage your kids to boo a player who just signed, hasn't said a single word yet and hasn't taken a single at bat? Um, OK. Are you upset because of the money he earned? Don't like his agent (which I'd agree, but that doesn't mean Harper is a bad person)? To my knowledge, Harper hasn't done anything horrible in society (i.e. Michael Vick), etc... If he gets to Philly and is a total bust, boo away. But for cryin' out loud, the ink on the contract is still wet. They just signed one of the best players in baseball, I don't get the hate. If he bats .310, hits 40 HR, 110 RBI, and blends well into the Philly world, will you still boo him?

Wow, I didn’t know what I did would create such a passionate response from some random person. PS I never said I encouraged it.... ;) but I do welcome them to express themselves

:cloud9:

Wow, I didn’t know what I did would create such a passionate response from some random person. PS I never said I encouraged it.... ;) but I do welcome them to express themselves

I appreciate the passive aggressive response, but frankly my post wasn't mean to come across as passionate. I simply don't understand the mindset of telling your kids it's OK to boo a player who hasn't even played yet, but YMMV. Just speaking as a Phillies fan, I'd like to see the team win again. Whether I like his personality or not, if he can be a rock star on the field, I'm in.

I'm ambivalent at this point. The deal is done. I hope it works out for the team. I've been a Phillies fan from birth. I cried when they won their first championship. I was living in Binghamton NY at the time, and my friends looked at me like I was nuts. Likewise, in 2008 (wow, it's been that long). Both of those championships were led by gutsy play and team chemistry as much as talent. Sure, they had talented players, but it was the supporting cast that stepped up. I suppose that could be said in all championships, but I'm partial to the Phillies. Dallas Greene and Charlie Manuel were outstanding managers of those particular players at that particular time. This certainly will be interesting to watch.

He's yours now and I, for one, am jealous. I really wanted him for the Cubs. The Phillies are now a very talented team. Hold on tight Phillies fans, it's going to be a wild ride.
And you guys have our boy Cole. Hopefully he can continue to bring you success... at least until the NLCS. :rolleyes:

I'm like "Ho, hum."

My fearless prediction. Five years or less until a messy acrimonious divorce.

Perhaps you're right. Those really long term deals very rarely work out well as they get close to the end, or even halfway through sometimes. However, if...and it's certainly an "if" as there are no guarantees...in those 5 years the Phils add another World Series title, I think I'll be OK with the messy divorce. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter