Bryce Harper

dclpluto

DIS Veteran
As a Phillies fan I sure hope he doesn’t sign with the Phillies. He clearly doesn’t want to play in Philly. Also if they do get him can they afford to pay mike trout the best man in baseball in a couple of years when he becomes a free agent. One of the best in baseball defintely wants to play in philly. I think he’s the best but I could have a little favoritism since he comes from my home county.
Good luck dodgers and giants fans I really hope one of your teams gets Bryce Harper.

Last edited:
As a Phillies fan I sure hope he doesn’t sign with the Phillies. He clearly doesn’t want to play in Philly. Also if they do get him can they afford to pay mike trout the best man in baseball in a couple of years when he becomes a free agent. One of the best in baseball defintely wants to play in philly. I think he’s the best but I could have a little favoritism since he comes from my home county.
Good luck dodgers and giants fans I really hope one of your teams gets Bryce Harper.

I have to agree I don't really want to see him here. I have never really liked him though. I do think he would be a bad fit for the Phillies and would love to see Mike Trout play for the Phillies when he becomes available.

As a Phillies fan, I very much want him to sign in Philly. I don't really care if he's a nice guy or not, he's a killer on the field. From what I understand, the Phils are already planning on signing Trout for 2021, so that's almost "ear marked". Imagine a 2021 starting line up with Hoskins, Harper and Trout. Yes, please.

As a Nationals fan, I have turned the page. As talented as he is, he was never my favourite player. I get that the object is to get the best contract possible, but enough already. How much is enough money? Is there really a difference between 330 and 335 million besides ego of the player and agent?

For the numbers involved, just sign the damn contract with the team you want to play for and be done with it. The soap opera has become boring.

Good luck to the “winning” team.

Philadelphia fan here and Bryce Harper is over rated - even though he is talented I hope he signs elsewhere! Not worth what they are offering him and he’s clearly not interested....

I still want the Phillies to get him. I’m not convinced this is a playoff team even with all the new players this year with how much better the Mets and Nationals got, plus the Braves still a good team. They could even end up as bad as 4th place in the division if the Mets rotation stays healthy. Trading Alfaro and Sixto Sanchez for 2 years of Realmuto was a win now move and I am going to be disappointed if they miss out on both Machado and Harper. If the rumors were true they could have matched the Padres offer because Machado wanted to be on the East Coast, I would have rather had him on the team but he’s gone.

I also feel like they needed a big bat after they have no upcoming top prospects except maybe Bohm from drafting so poorly. They had a top 10 pick from 2015 - 2018 and they really messed up in 2016 with the #1 overall pick being Moniak instead of Senzel who was drafted second and is the 6th best ranked prospect.

The way this has played out has soured me to him. My son wants him in Philly. I still think chemistry has a great deal to do with winning and losing, and I can't help but wonder what sort of teammate he is.

I still want the Phillies to get him. I’m not convinced this is a playoff team even with all the new players this year with how much better the Mets and Nationals got, plus the Braves still a good team. They could even end up as bad as 4th place in the division if the Mets rotation stays healthy. Trading Alfaro and Sixto Sanchez for 2 years of Realmuto was a win now move and I am going to be disappointed if they miss out on both Machado and Harper. If the rumors were true they could have matched the Padres offer because Machado wanted to be on the East Coast, I would have rather had him on the team but he’s gone.

I also feel like they needed a big bat after they have no upcoming top prospects except maybe Bohm from drafting so poorly. They had a top 10 pick from 2015 - 2018 and they really messed up in 2016 with the #1 overall pick being Moniak instead of Senzel who was drafted second and is the 6th best ranked prospect.

I feel the same way. I would grudgingly like to see them sign Harper at this point having missed out on Machado. It surprises me that they would not go above 300 million for Machado. Nevertheless, if they don’t get Harper it will not be a significant disappointment.

Trout would be great but the Angels are going to spend the next year working on an extension. Highly unlikely that he gets to Philly. On the other hand, the Phils will have the advantage of working on an extension for Realmuto over the next year.

Agree regarding the drafts. I understand the tanking theory but for it to work a team must come out of it with tradable assets. The system is pretty barren at this point due to failed drafts. I am afraid this team is destined for mediocrity.

I don't understand how people "know" that he doesn't want to play in Philly. Unless I've missed something, he's never said that...it's just what people are reading into things and speculating. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. If he really doesn't, then perhaps he won't sign...there are other teams that will give him a lot of money. Maybe he'll sign in Philly and become a fan favorite. Maybe he'll become a villain, impossible to say. If the Phillies want to win, and it's in the budget, I don't see how Harper makes the team worse.

Drafting is always a roll of the dice. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's no different than the NFL. First round picks are not guaranteed superstars. Some are franchise changing players, some wind up as busts.

Phillies fan here, who wishes the Phillies would pull their offer and go spend the money elsewhere. They can buy a whole roster for what they're trying to throw at Harper.

At this point, I feel like he's the second coming of A-Rod. The Yankees bit and signed him to a 10 year contract, and got one or two good years (and a whole lot of trouble) for the mountain of money they paid him. And A-Rod had a much longer and more impressive record at the time than Harper does now.

I've seen a lot of Nats games, and all I've seen out of Harper is one terrific year. The rest of the time, it's been hype and a big ego and not a whole lot to show for it on the field. The last couple of years, he's just seemed bored. I think it's very telling that so many teams have passed on him, and the Nats didn't try very hard to keep him.

Most of the reports seem to indicate that we would prefer to be on the West Coast because he's a Vegas kid who would rather be closer to home. But much of that could just be Scott Boras being Scott Boras and playing all the angles to ensure that he gets a bigger contract than Machado (and now Arenado). I'm sure Bryce isn't lacking in ego, but this may be just as much about his agent's ego as anything else.

Not sure I want a guy whose batting average is .211 in the playoffs. That said my team might get him. Although I think in the end, the Dodgers are going to throw a ton of money at him and get him.

Edit Wow. The Phillies 13 year 330 million or nearly 25.4 million average per year.

Last edited:
Phillies got him!!!

This is the happiest I have been in a long time. After months of checking Phillies forums, Reddit and Twitter multiple times every day, I'm glad it's over and he is on the team.

He'd talked for a long time about wanting to play for the Yankees, but they've already got a bunch of power hitters who, incidentally, don't have Harper's diva personality. They've got no use for him.

I think he really wanted the big media market, though, so I'm suspecting he'll sign with the Dodgers.

Phillies got him!!!

This is the happiest I have been in a long time. After months of checking Phillies forums, Reddit and Twitter multiple times every day, I'm glad it's over and he is on the team.

Shows you what I know. :rotfl:

I have the Phillies game on and they just announced it. Thirteen years, $330 million.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter