Broken Foot

123SA

DIS Veteran
We leave tomorrow (6 hours) and I spent all day with 14 year old at doctors. (and I still have to pack, I don't think I'll sleep) He has a broken foot. He is in a boot but needs to minimize putting any weight on it. So crutches and wheelchair. It's not a walking boot.

I found the the thread for wheelchair rentals. I'll definitely rent one we can use for the entire 2 weeks.

What do I do about tricky rides .. like TSMM steps, at Big Thunder I am envisioning the jostling on that ramp and him tumbling down, Splash Mountain is only open one day, but I can't see him managing the steps and then the ramps. Is he eligible to use a separate entrance? We go in the regular line and he joins in somehow? Do they hold onto his crutches?

THanks for your help.

No worries! When you approach the ride entrance, the cast member will direct you appropriately. You can take the wheelchair through the line- there is always a way to avoid stairs. (note that for some rides- BTMR and the Jungle Cruise, for example- you may be given a return time to help manage traffic).

Note that there can be delayed boarding for certain attractions-TSMM and JC, for example, due to a limited number of ride vehicles that can accommodate wheelchairs.

Thanks so much for your response He can get out of the wheelchair. It's just no one can do a Disney 8 mile day on crutches.

I'll try to stop panicking and just look for help when I get there.

Space Mountain, Pirates, Small World, Test Track, and the Mexican boat ride in Epcot can be a bit tricky to get into-and out of- the ride vehicle.

Ack! I did not consider that. I guess it may take some work to figure it out. Fortunately he is an otherwise healthy and fit kid.

most of the lines at Disney he will go thought what ever line you have access too ( like if you have a FP you will use the FP line, if not you will use the stand by line) there are a few that you will do something different at BTMRR is one of then that you will go thought the exit ( the CM will give you a return time to come back at a latter time ( it will be wait time -10 minutes) the CM will tell you where to go to get back on the ride, him and 5 people can be with him as fair as wheel chair and chircuches the CM will have the for him at the ride exit he may have to walk 5 to 15 steps tog et then or some one an go get then and then bring them to him. but I would not worry tot much you will find that Disney is very wheel chair friendly and you do not have to make many changes to your plans

Follow the link in my signature or look near the top of the board for the disABILITIES FAQs thread. The first post in that thread is an index. You will find posts on that thread about attractions with wheelchair cars and those requiring a transfer that might be difficult.

Almost all attractions are wheelchair accessible through the main queue. All stairs or other barriers to wheelchairs have a bypass. When CMs see either a wheelchair or crutches, they will route you to avoid them. They bypass is usually very close to the stairs, etc, not a separate entrance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter