Bringing your own dress to BBB. Wrinkles? What about a crown?

Beth33

Mouseketeer
We have a BBB appointment for 9:15 on an 8 am EMH opening day. We plan to bring our own dress - not an official Disney one, but one we ordered online. If we put it in the backpack, I am worried it will become a wrinkled mess. Any suggestions of what we can do? I don't suppose BBB would let us drop it off early and then leave to go do rides?

Also, DD has a pretty tiara that she really likes. Would the folks at BBB be able to incorporate that into her hairstyle?

I don't know what material the dress is made of so will assume it's some sort of man made textile like polyester taffeta or acetate satin since they are frequently used in costumes.
So now how to keep it wrinkle free? With great difficulty.

Here are some general instructions.

First, press it well at home following the iron instructions on the dress's label; too hot and you'll melt the fabric and/or ornaments. Too low and you are wasting your time.
When packing it, place tissue paper sheets in the body of the skirt and bodice smoothing both sides of the dress as you go. If the sleeves have a lot of fabric at the top (balloon sleeves for instance) stuff them with crumpled balls of tissue paper to support the fabric. Encase the entire dress in a dry cleaners' bag. All your efforts will be defeated if you put the dress in a back pack so either keep it in the dry cleaner bag or store it in a garment bag.

No idea if BBB allows storage ahead of time but perhaps someone else will know.

ETA: Can't imagine why BBB won't allow use of a personal tiara. I would be sure to ask and ensure it has the proper way to attach to hair (normally combs that you can add at home).

HTH.

Last edited:
Not sure if BBB lets you store your dress there before your appointment, I would ring in advance to see if that is possible. If not, you could pay for a locker at the park.

Do you know how large the lockers are? Is there room to hang a garment bag? If it's a small cube, I don't think the dress would fare any better there than under the stroller, you know?

I could just hang the garment bag from the stroller handle, but I worry about someone taking it. I don't think theft is rampant at WDW, but a bag hanging out in space seems to be tempting fate.

Do you know how large the lockers are? Is there room to hang a garment bag? If it's a small cube, I don't think the dress would fare any better there than under the stroller, you know?

I could just hang the garment bag from the stroller handle, but I worry about someone taking it. I don't think theft is rampant at WDW, but a bag hanging out in space seems to be tempting fate.

https://blog.dvcrequest.com/low-locker-rentals-walt-disney-world/

As others have said not sure if you can drop ahead of time but the best solution for costumes we’ve found is rolling it and putting it in a gallon ziplocked rolled with the air pushed out. Not sure when your trip is but maybe try this before you leave for a few hours?

They might not want the liability of using her tiara but I’m sure they could work around it and then you could place it.

As others have said not sure if you can drop ahead of time but the best solution for costumes we’ve found is rolling it and putting it in a gallon ziplocked rolled with the air pushed out. Not sure when your trip is but maybe try this before you leave for a few hours?

They might not want the liability of using her tiara but I’m sure they could work around it and then you could place it.
Any idea what type of fabric your child's (or your) costumes are made of and did the dress have any wrinkles when you took it out of the zip lock bag?

Any idea what type of fabric your child's (or your) costumes are made of and did the dress have any wrinkles when you took it out of the zip lock bag?

Not specially sure but I could look. We usually buy Disney store dresses that we’ve gotten on sale.

A good fluff and shake and the dresses may have a few wrinkles but nothing major IMO - excitment over Disney wins out! Rolling in the zip lock is how we travel with them so ours are in their bags for several days before being worn.

Not specially sure but I could look. We usually buy Disney store dresses that we’ve gotten on sale.

A good fluff and shake and the dresses may have a few wrinkles but nothing major IMO - excitment over Disney wins out! Rolling in the zip lock is how we travel with them so ours are in their bags for several days before being worn.
Sounds like tulle? The bridal veil material? Those dresses are a dream to travel with whether made of natural or man-made textile.

I'm more used to packing adults' special occasion dresses so use the methods associated with them minus the steam bath (makes no difference for most of the costumes' fabric). My mother owned a fabric store that specialized in bridal fabrics so most of her children know a bit more than is currently "fashionable" about fabrics, LOL. Of course the one sister who attended formal sewing classes and had all the girls doesn't do more than sew a button on but she has my frmr DIL beat by a mile since she doesn't even know how to thread a needle. Guess sewing is a dying art.

Pack a small water bottle....lightly spray the dress before she puts it on and as it dries the wrinkles should be released. I use this method for my clothes all the time...Id carefully roll the dress and put it in a plastic bag till you are ready to have her put it on

Or...since you r appointment is at 9 am , just let her wear the dress all morning till the appointment starts at 9 am

Pack a small water bottle....lightly spray the dress before she puts it on and as it dries the wrinkles should be released. I use this method for my clothes all the time...Id carefully roll the dress and put it in a plastic bag till you are ready to have her put it on

Or...since you r appointment is at 9 am , just let her wear the dress all morning till the appointment starts at 9 am
I know about water/steam and a mixture of vinegar and water spray but have not had any success with most man made materials. Must try this on DGD's school uniform since the skirt and pants are 100% polyester. Will be more than happy to stop pulling out the iron weekly:cool:.

They will probably fix the crown for her...they can't officially say they will but have your DD give it to them and I bet they will work with it :)

I've definitely seen them incorporate brought from home crowns into the bun hairstyle that they do. No issue at all. We always did the shove into a ziploc bag and shake out upon arrival when packing dresses. Saves the glitter from getting all over everything within 100 feet:) We actually haven't had a ton of wrinkle issues and the dresses shake out nicely, these are Disney store dresses that were on sale or the odd Costco dress from Halloween.

Thanks all! I lean more and more towards having DD just wear the dress. There is a stiff tulle-like overskirt that tends to wrinkle and stick out at odd angles when it's been folded. Having her just wear the thing seems the simplest solution.

Saves the glitter from getting all over everything within 100 feet:)

Believe it or not, the dress is glitterless! (Though there's some glitter on the wings.) Here's a pic. I love Little Adventurers costumes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!